veg*n friendly restaurants - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-03-2009, 05:59 PM

I checked the permanent thread above this one, but those were only veg*n restaurants. What is your experience with these mainstream restaurants from a vegetarian perspective?

chili's

applebee's

macaroni grill

BBQ places

Indian food restaurants

IHOP

btw I ate at a pizza place with my omni friends the other day and found several veggie pizzas that weren't labeled "garden" or "vegetable"...my friends didn't even think twice about my choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

The best option on that list is Indian. Super easy to get something deliciously vegetarian. My picks of places I can always eat at are Indian, Japanese, Thai, and Mexican. The only good thing about chain places is that you can usually research a little online before you go.

Applebees, mac grill, and BBQ would be my last pick right up there with cracker barrel *shudders*. If I'm stuck at one of those places I'm probably going to leave with a good buzz cause there's little to nothing to eat. IHOP's just disgusting but they do have vegetarian things. Usually, I'm happiest anywhere that's not American fare or "seafood". You can make a meal anywhere but having fries and a salad gets old. There's so much yummy vegetarian food out there that it's sad when my friends really want to go to some greasy grill.

Glad you found a good pizza! Places are getting more and more creative these days and it's great
#3 Old 05-03-2009, 07:30 PM

I have found that many places will have a vegetable plate, such as Cracker Barrel and Black eyed Pea.

Also any place that offers a salad as a meal you usually can sub the meat for another vegetable. (Mexican and Tex mex are the best places for the salad option.)

Many places will have a Boca Burger or a Garden burger. The only problem is that many times they are made on the same grill as a regular burger. Some places I have found these include, Chili's, Denny's, and we have a restaurant around here called the purple Cow, a 50s diner.

If you are strict about how the food is cooked you need to look for a true veg friendly restaurant, if not then you can eat most places if you do not mind making special requests. (Even at Chik-fil-A, my son and I will order a side salad and extra buns and make a veg sandwich.)

We are not too picky because we live in Fort Worth, TX and there are 3 meat eaters in our family. We have to compromise just like they do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-04-2009, 12:53 AM
Banned

veg. friendly restarents will have

chili's

applebee's

macaroni grill

BBQ places

Indian food restaurants

IHOP
#5 Old 05-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Applebee's is pretty much worthless. Several years ago they had a grilled vegetable plate which was pretty good, actually. You could request it without the butter glaze so it was vegan.

They got rid of that and for a short period had some sort of gardenburger on the menu. I didn't try it, but it appeared to be the typical grain burger normally served at chain restaurants. Then they dropped that, too.

Guess we shouldn't expect much from a company whose claim to fame is reworking oldies song lyrics to be about steak and ribs...

ETA: As for BBQ places, most are even worse. The best you can expect at many is a tiny side salad or a baked potato.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#6 Old 05-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I was at an Applebee's not too long ago... maybe 6-7 months ago and all they had was a steamed veggie and salad lunch combo that was almost decent - IF you didn't mind veggies steamed to a baby food consistency and tons of cheese/butter/bacon all over everything (I'm not sure if the salad comes with hard boiled eggs either so ask about that).

Chili's I just remember some sort of veggie fajita thing that was drowning in butter but it seems they had a couple of almost duable options (I don't go to Chili's that often so I don't remember)

Macaroni Grill, I've never been to so I can't tell you anything about them.

IHOP has a veggie skillet scramble that I get with the cheese and eggs left off (no extra charge for the odd looks and a repeat of the order 3 times to make sure that's what he/she really heard ).

BBQ places, I've never had good luck with. I like to joke that not even the water is veg*n, and considering the BBQ places I've been to, that comment isn't that far from truth.

Indian places you'll have the best shot at eating like a queen/king. It gets a bit trickier if you want vegan food, although it can be done. Just keep your requests simple and be exceptionally polite with the questions.
#7 Old 05-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Indian all the way. I wouldn't choose any of the rest of those places on purpose or go there expecting to have an awesome meal. Indian on the other hand is the best food in my opinion.
#8 Old 05-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Beginner

Indian is the absolute best for vegetarians! Definitely my favorite cuisine.

As for the others I never eat at them. Applebees is the worst to me since they have no veg. entree!

My favorite chain is Ruby Tuesday for the salad bar and baked potato combo (and I don't even usually get salad when going out to eat but they have so many good things to put in it like edamame and dried cranberries).
#9 Old 05-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Ah, yea! Ruby Tuesday is the bomb for their salad bar! I can't think of a chain that does a better bar, imo.

And I can't believe no one has mentioned Mongolian BBQ! That's a place where you can stuff yourself stupid and not have too many worries about what's in the food. You can't do that at too many places, imo.
#10 Old 05-06-2009, 12:28 PM

East Side Mario's is my favourite! They have a lot more options than most resturaunts, I've found.
#11 Old 02-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I am infuriated with East Side Mario's right now!! I just had lunch there today and ordered the minestrone soup, which was slearly advertised as vegetarian in the menu, both paper and online. After eating, I became doubtful and called to check, just to make sure and it was made with beef broth!! Ugh!! So yeah, just a heads up people, East Side Mario's isn't safe with the veggie claims. I will be calling the manager as soon as I finish work.
#12 Old 02-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

^gross. so sorry about your experience. it can be pretty horrific realizing you are eating something you are opposed to.

http://www.butikiteas.com
#13 Old 02-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Asian, or at least Chinese, restaurants are a good bet. Chinese restaurants can offer some form of a vegetable, rice and tofu dish. If you look at their menus, they have a "vegetable" section which will offer vegetarian, or mostly vegetarian, choices. Even if you don't see them on the menu, if you ask they'll probably be willing to make a tofu stir fry or Buddha's Feast/Delight dish.

*this space not for sale*
#14 Old 02-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

My husband and I love to go to Golden Corral because you can go up and choose whatever foods you would like and there are very great options there. I am not sure if they are Veg*n safe but that is just a start. I usually end up getting a salad , fruit and fresh veggies and potato soup if they have any there and bread items.
#15 Old 03-03-2011, 12:53 PM

Macaroni Grill is very veg*n friendly; so is California Pizza Kitchen , if you have one by you. And it's been my experience that most of the food at Indian restaurants is veg*n.

The last time I went to Applebee's and Chili's, NOTHING was veg*n. You may be able to get some sides or a baked potato at a bbq, but I never bother with bbqs or steak houses anymore.
#16 Old 03-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

you should be able to order a black bean burger instead of a regular one at chili's, if you ask. at least that's my experience here, we've got one a few towns away that I go to every year for my mom's birthday.

applebee's, you can ask for their salads or wraps to be chickenless, I usually get the chicken fajita or the oriental chicken ones sans chicken and only once have they forgotten to take out the chicken... they had no problem fixing it and the cook even came out to apologize for forgetting.

um... what else do we have around here. uno's/chicago's, not sure what's vegetarian in that restaurant, but I know they've got pizzas and such, so I'm hopeful that at least something would be vegetarian.

I think most of the other's in the area (pub 99, picadilly pub, etc.) I haven't actually been to, so I'm not sure about them.

Mexican restaurants, I would think, would be easily vegetarian-izable, especially if they've got a make-your-own style of ordering. and seconding (thirding?) Indian and Chinese.

I'm a pretty big fan of buffet places, especially if they've got big fruit/veggie sections or a salad bar. salad bars = awesomeness squared.

Wake up your generation! Wake up and save the nation! Wake up determination! I am afraid we're going down, Afraid we're going down in flames...
#17 Old 03-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Applebee's is worthless. I didn't even like it when I was an omni.

The Chili's black bean burger is good. I believe it is not vegan friendly, though (for those who care.)

I generally do well at Indian places.
#18 Old 03-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

California Pizza Kitchen does an awesome job providing veg*n menu info:

http://www.cpk.com/menu/pdfs/vegetarian.pdf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page