Encouragement? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Beginner

My ex-boyfriend and I are very close and he has recently given up meat. We spend a lot of time together and I always try to get him to try new foods. But he's soooo picky. I don't know what to do. He thinks everything is disgusting. I know he doesn't want to give up but at this rate he's not being healthy at all.

So what do you suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-03-2009, 02:39 PM

he must have had omni meals that he liked. i would start with trying to veg*nise them for him. if healthy wasnt his thing before, dont try to make it his vegetarian food too healthy for him just yet. let him ease into it. e.g., if he liked greasy fried chicken before, check out the asian stores and get him something that you can deep fry. or if meaty pizza rang his bell, do him a veggie version with a load of fake ham on it.
#3 Old 05-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I get frustrated with my bf all the time, becuase he is so picky and close minded about food. The only way to expand your horizons and eat new foods is to try new ones. It can take more than just trying something once to know if you really dispise it or if it is cooked a different way if you can enjoy it.

Has he tried any fake meats?

What were his favorite foods before going veg*n?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Does he like spicy food? I always found chinese food to be a good way to slip more veggies into my diet. Same goes for thai food, indian, mexican... anything with lots of spices and flavorful sauces. 'Course, some of those might be too exotic for him but that's the general approach I would try.

You could also make thanksgiving type dishes like sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes with gravy (there's a simple gravy recipe in la dolce vegan that I like a lot), stuffing... stuff that's familiar to omnis, easily veg*nized, and quite filling. Along those lines, do you know how to make vegetarian pot pies?

Care to give us a list of stuff you already know he likes/doesn't like? Anyway, I agree with Kali about easing him into it. Better to take it gradually than try to make too many changes at once and have him give up.

Catch a shape in the circles of my mind.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page