How My Life and Views Have Changed Since Going Veggie - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-03-2009, 08:06 AM
Beginner

I have been a vegetarian for nearly 3 months. I am amazed at how my relationship with food has changed. For about a year I already saw some changes in my attitude towards meat. Most of my life I never ate a lot of meat but did crave it from time to time. In the past I would crave certain fast foods and for the past year driving by fast food restaurants starting looking yucky and the thought of a hamburger or tacos was gross. Though I still ate some meat for the past year, it just wasn't that much of a priority in my diet. I have also had a problem with the the thought of killing animals for food for YEARS! Then saw, Meet Your Meat several months ago and it encouraged me more to go this direction. I found that video by accident scrolling through some Myspace pages and someone I didn't know had it posted.

Now that I am vegetarian, I went for about a week wanting fish but that was it and got over it. You all helped me here on the fish issue, thanks! The thought of meat now does not cross my mind and I do purchase some fake meats but don't really crave those either. I am so in tuned to what goes into my body that I don't really crave junk food of any kind. My body just wants pure and healthy foods. I absolutely crave veggies, beans, nuts and fruit. I have eaten some sweets (cakes, candy, etc.) and that use to taste great, now it just doesn't set well with me. I have had tummy issues all my life, that has improved almost 90%!

I have not been "preachy" about my decision to go veggie. I have had lots of support and few jokes have been made but all in fun and I laugh it off. I know if I went around preaching about why to be veggie it would make people rebel against the decision. Instead, they see what I am doing and what a difference it has made in my life and they ask questions. I will not lecture to others who eat meat. With my positive attitude, I am starting to see others around me interested in what I do. Maybe they will go veggie with me! My father and uncle are going back veggie since I made this decision.

My hubby has made it clear that he does not plan to go veggie but is very supportive of my decision and makes sure when we eat out that they have a veggie friendly menu. He does eat veggie dinners several times a week with no complaints. Because of this, his meat intake has decreased to a few times a week. YAY!

Not sure how this connection was made but I never been, eco-friendly. I am now starting to have a different attitude and making a change in that direction. I read in the, Environmental Issues section often.

This has been a fun and positive adventure so far. Shopping at Whole Foods is quite a treat with so many new foods and varieties to choose from. Being a part of Veggie Boards has been great! I have learned so much and if I have a question about anything you all respond very quickly! Thanks!!!

I am sure you all have a story of how your life has changed. I would love to hear it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow, what a great story! I'm sure you are an inspiration to your friends and family.
#3 Old 05-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

That is a great story!

I am newly veggie too.

Most of my influence came from a very close friend of mine. She never was preachy with me or pushed for me to change my ways; however, she did anyswer any questions I had and cooked me some awesome meals that got my wheels turning. Her quiet influence spoke volumes to me... far more than if she ahd preached to me about it. I had been a pescatarian for about 6 months at that point.

I final straw for me was seeing the video Earthlings (which I found a link to on VB). I could not even make it through the first hour of the video. I was bawling my eyes out. Right then and there I made the decision to never eat meat again.

Ever since then I feel like a whole new world of food that I had been ignoring has opened up to me. I am trying so many new foods and receipes. I lvoe cooking for my veggie friend and her daughter. I feel like the bond and friendship we have has grown even stronger since I became a vegetarian.

I feel so much better internally about the decisions I have made recently. I have always felt some level of guilt for loving and caring about anmimals as much as I do and eating them (when I was omni). Now I feel so guilt free.... it is amazing what it has done in so many facets of my life. I feel healthy in mind, body and spirit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page