Are you religious? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Beginner

I'm just wondering. Hopefully this doesn't start a fight lol. But when I became a vegetarian I also became in evolution and biology. So after studying it for a bit, I don't really believe in God anymore. There are also other factors but I just feel like vegetarianism has given me a more realistic point of view, I suppose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-29-2009, 04:29 PM

For as long as I can remember I've never been religious. It just never made sense to me. So, I guess I'm just one of THOSE crazy athiest vegitarians, lol.
#3 Old 04-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not religious as in adhering to any one religion, but I am very spiritual.

I believe in the interconnectedness and sacredness of all life and that divine love is the foundation of the universe. It's what it's made of.

These beliefs reinforce my vegetarianism... I try to practice the concept of Ahimsa... Dynamic harmlessness. Do no harm, and through do not allow others to come to harm through inaction.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a Christian (I grew up agnostic, was Wiccan for a while and then became Christian several years back), but I believe in evolution.

I don't personally see any reason why they can't be compatible. I don't take the Bible literally, which is a big factor in my ability to be able to balance the two.

★ Vegetarian: 7/4/07 ☆ Near-Vegan: 11/08 ☆ FINALLY VEGAN! 4/4/09 ★

♥ 4 years down and a lifetime to go! ♥
#5 Old 04-29-2009, 04:36 PM

I have never been religious either. It just seems that something that can cause so many wars and kill so many people can't possibly be good.

Sometimes I feel like people need religion as a "crutch". They can feel better about dying because they are going to heaven.
#6 Old 04-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggz View Post

Sometimes I feel like people need religion as a "crutch". They can feel better about dying because they are going to heaven.

I totally agree with you on that one. I don't think people realize that humans are animals too. Yes, we may be more advanced but we are just like them in this whole circle of life. Other animals accept death for what it is but because humans live such complicated lives, they have to think there is something better on the other side. Animals don't deserve to die anymore than we do. Hopefully that makes sense lol.
#7 Old 04-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I believe that Matlock isn't just a tv series, but a prophecy of a white angel who will save us all. So I guess that makes me religious.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#8 Old 04-29-2009, 05:43 PM

No. But I don't like being responsible for any other living organism leaving this Earth.

Ahimsa sounds cool.
#9 Old 04-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

I'm not religious as in adhering to any one religion, but I am very spiritual.

I believe in the interconnectedness and sacredness of all life and that divine love is the foundation of the universe. It's what it's made of.

This reflects my views as well. I'm a logically based person, and do not believe the world was created in three days. I believe in evolution, but I don't think that it all started from nothing. The closest thing my views can be associated with is Buddhist, but I've never gone to temple. It's funny to me though how unreligous I am today, having grown up in a very catholic family and going to a private christian school in my early years.
#10 Old 04-29-2009, 06:23 PM

.....So I have said that I'm not religious but I do have to say that i find Zen Buddhism very interesting. To completely short form to entire philosophy:

You can't change the past so don't dwell on it.

You can't predict the future so don't obsess over it.

Live in the moment that you have because you only get it once and it's the one that matters. (that might be confusing)

Try to best the best person you can, but don't beat yourself up if you make a mistake.

You don't need to pray, chant, etc. but they do this very interesting meditation where you sit and stare at a wall. Eventually you train yourself to be able to stop your thoughts. You are just supposed to think about nothing.

Anyways, I guess I like it because it is more of a life philosophy than a religion.
#11 Old 04-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggz View Post

You can't change the past so don't dwell on it.

You can't predict the future so don't obsess over it.

Live in the moment that you have because you only get it once and it's the one that matters. (that might be confusing)

Try to best the best person you can, but don't beat yourself up if you make a mistake.

You don't need to pray, chant, etc. but they do this very interesting meditation where you sit and stare at a wall. Eventually you train yourself to be able to stop your thoughts. You are just supposed to think about nothing.

Besides the meditation(I completely fail at clearing my mind for more than a few seconds), I live by all those things. I'm hardly ever stressed out, only time being when I majorally procrastinate on somthing, because what happens, happens. I know people who will dwell over a bad grade for MONTHS, I give myself five minutes, then let it go. Stress can cause a variety of health issues, and I'm a much happier person when I don't dwell on things out of my control
#12 Old 04-29-2009, 06:35 PM

I was raised Christian in a veg*n mocking family. We believed that God "gave" us dominion over animals so therefore we could do whatever we wanted to/with them.

But I'm not religious anymore, and I don't mind
#13 Old 04-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I was raised in a semi-Christian household (we were "Christians" but we rarely went to Church, my dad is an agnostic, etc.)... I've always been an atheist-leaning agnostic, before and after going veg
#14 Old 04-29-2009, 07:34 PM

Not Anymore....I was raised Catholic...but dont agree with them so havent considered myself a Catholic for many many years...I am spiritual and believe in a Higher Power...just not in organized religion.
#15 Old 04-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Ankle Biter

I'm an ethical humanist who celebrates the Christian holidays in completely secular ways.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#16 Old 04-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I am Christian, but not currently active in a church. My vegetarianism fits in with my beliefs, even though I don't think you have to be vegetarian to be Christian.
#17 Old 04-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a buddhist, but unlike most people in my religion, I'm not veg*n for religious reasons at all.

The Vegan ABC's: East Meets West, VEGAN STYLE! A blog detailing the edibles in the life of an ABC (American-born Chinese) vegan.
http://theveganabc.blogspot.com/
#18 Old 04-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I was raised Christian but do not believe in God anymore. I think reincarnation makes a lot of sense, but I wouldn't say I believe in. I just try to keep good karma in case
#19 Old 04-29-2009, 09:58 PM

Nope, not religious at all. I was raised Catholic but I never bought into any of it. I studied Wicca for a few years and really love their views, but I do not believe in reincarnation, so, yeah, I'm just all about nature and being green
#20 Old 04-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Beginner

I was raised Catholic, but I'm not sure what I believe anymore. I honestly try not to think about it too much, but I do find myself laying awake for hours in bed wondering what I believe.
#21 Old 04-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Beginner

I was raised Russian Orthodox (it's like Catholic). I still go to their church once in a while, but for cultural reasons, not religious. I really don't identify with any organized religion. However, I am very spiritual in a buddhist/kabbalah kind of way.
#22 Old 04-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelii View Post

For as long as I can remember I've never been religious. It just never made sense to me. So, I guess I'm just one of THOSE crazy athiest vegitarians, lol.

Are athiest vegitarians anything like atheist vegetarians?

To answer the OP, I am an agnostic. Religious truths are unknowable.
#23 Old 04-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Nope, not religious.
#24 Old 04-30-2009, 03:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Are you religious?

No.

Catch a shape in the circles of my mind.
#25 Old 04-30-2009, 03:47 AM

Pagan here

ETA: My religion and vegetarianism go hand in hand. I really love the Eastern ideas of Ahimsa and compassion towards all living things.
#26 Old 04-30-2009, 04:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I was raised in a Christian family. My father is a Catholic and my mother is a Baptist, but when they married, my dad consented to raise my brother and me as protestants. Despite this agreement, I've never read the Bible, I've only been to church a handful of times in my life (all three before I was ten), and I was never baptized. I find it rather odd, though, for my mother is quite a religious person and takes the Bible almost literally (my father, on the other hand, has never said a word about religion).

As to what I believe... I don't know. I think about it often and have not come to a conclusion. My brother has been an atheist for years, much to my mother's distress, and I'm just kind of content to hang in the middle.
#27 Old 04-30-2009, 04:51 AM

I wouldn't consider myself religious, I think. I was brought up Anglican but I now consider myself Buddhist.
#28 Old 04-30-2009, 04:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I am a practicing Catholic. I consider myself to be religious.
#29 Old 04-30-2009, 05:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to be an atheist, and now I'm agnostic, but I must say that if gods exist and I would know about them that I still wouldn't worship them.

At the risk of causing lots of trouble, I appoligise in advance for the following:

To me any person who needs to be worshipped is a pathetic little idiot and most certeinly doesn't deserve to be worshipped no matter how powerfull they are. There. I just had to write that down, sorry
#30 Old 04-30-2009, 05:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post

To me any person who needs to be worshipped is a pathetic little idiot

Except for me, you surely meant. Btw, I've been hearing that you haven't sang the Sevenseas song of adoration for three days now, what's up with that?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page