Are you religious? - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 05-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Nope, I'm not even a little religious.

I believe in kindness, generosity and doing the right thing because I feel like my actions create "ripples" which will affect others and in turn bring back consequences to me.

Compassion, mercy and love are the 3 most important human qualities to me.

I have no problems with others being religious, unless they are trying to forcibly convert me to seeing things their way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 05-01-2009, 09:42 AM

I am not a sterio-typical religious person... I do believe in God and I do believe in compassion,mercy,love and being cruelty-free.
#63 Old 05-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I was never religious. BUT there is one aspect of religion I believe in. I believe in Carma. I have no idea why, I know for lots of people who are atheist it is stupid and makes no sense. I just feel that better stuff happens to me when I do the right thing.

^Cool story, bro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 05-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreestylePup View Post

I believe in Carma..

Isn't that the principle that if you wreck someone else's car, your own car will be damaged in an accident, and whereas if you respect other people's cars and parking spaces like your own, nothing bad will happen to your car.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#65 Old 05-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Isn't that the principle that if you wreck someone else's car, your own car will be damaged in an accident, and whereas if you respect other people's cars and parking spaces like your own, nothing bad will happen to your car.

yeah, that's pretty much it. i try to be as nice as possible. i want to live to be the best person i can be and i don't want someone using something that i've done against me.
#66 Old 05-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Nope, not religious at all. I went through a very misguided "evangelical" phase in high school and college, but thankfully I've gotten it out of my system.
#67 Old 05-01-2009, 10:16 PM

just for the sake of answering this question- I don't feel like continuing a discussion, so yes I'm religious.
#68 Old 05-01-2009, 11:49 PM

No, Im not into religion at all. What I am into is a relationship with Jesus Christ and am a dedicated disciple who will follow him wherever He leads me.
#69 Old 05-02-2009, 12:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojie View Post

I'm a Christian (I grew up agnostic, was Wiccan for a while and then became Christian several years back), but I believe in evolution.

I don't personally see any reason why they can't be compatible. I don't take the Bible literally, which is a big factor in my ability to be able to balance the two.

This pretty much describes me, except for the agnostic/Wiccan part.
#70 Old 05-02-2009, 10:57 AM

I'm with the whole Ahimsa thing and some of the other comments vis-a-vis he concept of the divinity of love. This has led me to look into Advaita Vendanta and find it a compatible ontology. For me it boils down to love and fear. I try and gravitate towards things that are motivated by and create love and compassion while eschewing those motivated by and create fear and control. I believe that all religions have aspects of both, perhaps a bit of Tao thrown in, and in their purest essence seem to be more about love but can also be interpreted and practiced from a fear based perspective. Love is freeing while fear is controlling. One thing I have always had difficulty accepting is that there is one right answer or path. So no I am not religious, although I think it can be beneficial for people, but spiritual. My dietary and cultural habits simply flow from there.
#71 Old 05-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Not religious - became atheist at age 8.

www.sharksavers.org
#72 Old 05-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Beginner

nope, consider myself atheist but also lean toward a type of native american spirituality toward the earth. Does that make sense?
#73 Old 05-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

It's still the best excuse for war
#74 Old 05-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a Christian. Always will be

"With confidence, you have won before you have started" - Marcus Garvey
#75 Old 05-02-2009, 10:13 PM

Yes, yes I am.
#76 Old 05-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I have tried to follow certain religions, but never really got into it. As far as I'm concerned, all of the religions are based off of the same stories and basic principles. I am able to develop my own views of what is right and wrong...I don't need a book to tell me.
#77 Old 05-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Christian.
#78 Old 05-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Veggie Regular

"I am an atheist, out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I've been an atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was intellectually unrespectable to say one was an atheist, because it assumed knowledge that one didn't have. Somehow it was better to say one was a humanist or an agnostic. I finally decided that I'm a creature of emotion as well as of reason. Emotionally I am an atheist. I don't have the evidence to prove that God doesn't exist, but I so strongly suspect he doesn't that I don't want to waste my time."

-- Isaac Asimov
#79 Old 05-02-2009, 11:49 PM

I don't really believe in organized religion, but I believe if a higher power exists, it is neither good nor evil, but neutral. I believe that good and evil are defined culturally, and everything is truly relative.

But before I trail off and start preaching, I'm not
#80 Old 05-03-2009, 02:58 AM

#81 Old 05-03-2009, 11:02 AM

i am not religious.

ppl have asked me how the world came about then

my reply is simple:

i don't know how things came to be, and i really don't care

i'd say the main reason i'm not religious but i think it will be taken the wrong way

and i really don't want to offend anyone.
#82 Old 05-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Beginner

Secular humanism is very similar to my own beliefs, cool.

Secular humanism describes a world view with the following elements and principles:[2]

* Need to test beliefs – A conviction that dogmas, ideologies and traditions, whether religious, political or social, must be weighed and tested by each individual and not simply accepted on faith.

* Reason, evidence, scientific method – A commitment to the use of critical reason, factual evidence and scientific methods of inquiry, rather than faith and mysticism, in seeking solutions to human problems and answers to important human questions.

* Fulfillment, growth, creativity – A primary concern with fulfillment, growth and creativity for both the individual and humankind in general.

* Search for truth – A constant search for objective truth, with the understanding that new knowledge and experience constantly alter our imperfect perception of it.

* This life – A concern for this life and a commitment to making it meaningful through better understanding of ourselves, our history, our intellectual and artistic achievements, and the outlooks of those who differ from us.

* Ethics – A search for viable individual, social and political principles of ethical conduct, judging them on their ability to enhance human well-being and individual responsibility.

* Building a better world – A conviction that with reason, an open exchange of ideas, good will, and tolerance, progress can be made in building a better world for ourselves and our children.
#83 Old 05-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmVegetarian View Post

i am not religious.

ppl have asked me how the world came about then

What I sometimes say to that is "how'd God come about then?"

That usually stops them in their tracks.
#84 Old 05-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

atheist.
#85 Old 05-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBoomBox View Post

I hope i dont offend anyone with this but...

In my opinion religion was created to end wars and to give us morals. Nowdays though i think mankind has to believe in something bigger than ourselves because we cant accept and are afraid of death.

I don't mean to offend either, but I think religions were created by humans to start wars and dictate morals to the fearful masses.

I'm not religious. I believe in concepts that are important to me, like kindness and compassion, and I don't like when some religious people assume that us non-religious folk must be completely devoid of morals just because we don't pray to/believe in an invisible force.

I do wonder a lot about the universe though and all its mysteries, but it doesn't lead me to the conclusion that a supreme being must have created it. We'll just never know how we got here, and I want to enjoy my life and feel fulfilled as much as possible while I'm here, and while the people I love are here.
#86 Old 05-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLashedVeg View Post

I don't mean to offend either, but I think religions were created by humans to start wars and dictate morals to the fearful masses.

That's how I feel about it too. Look at all the horror that has been done to our fellow creatures(human and animal alike) all in "the name of god." I'm sorry, but I refuse to believe someone who is suppose to be all loving, would ever promote such digusting behavior.

Most religions to me seems like such a hypocrisy. Ones that cannot be traced back to Judism, Christianity or Islamic origins(which isn't many) don't bug me nearly as much, but most they still have there "umm.. isn't that a bit hypocritical?" aspects.
#87 Old 05-04-2009, 02:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Not religious but spiritual.

"May all that have life be delivered from suffering."
~ Buddha
#88 Old 05-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm Neopagan, and I am very happy with my belief that the Earth and nature is our mother. I know that there isn't an actual, physical great Goddess dancing in the stars somewhere out there, but the image gives me a way to connect with everything it represents - life, nature, beauty, joy, compassion, love etc. She is present to me in evolution, in the eyes of an animal looking at me, in every living being. I don't believe in literal rebirth, but that I will live on as part of the organisms that will eat my remains once I'm buried. I have taken in other lives (plants or animals, but now only plants) in my life, and I will be taken, and that is the wonderful way it is.

It also fits excellently with my belief that faith by dogma and organization is not all that great.

▬|████|▬
This is a Nudelholz!
Take it und hau it on
the Kopp of a bekloppt Person
to give a better Gefühl!!
#89 Old 05-04-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLashedVeg

Thats totally my line of thought as well.

I am not religious in any way and have had a couple debates on the matter. I really cant grasp the idea of god or religion.
#90 Old 05-05-2009, 05:41 AM
Beginner

I was raised catholic and I now consider myself Christian. I've had many experiences in my life that lead me to believe fully in God.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page