Yeah.

I fell real hard all the way off the veg*n bandwagon and have eaten:

a steak

a philly cheesesteak sub

a roast beef sandwich

marinated chicken

chicken happy meal

DEAR LORD..

it sucks. I feel so gross. It took a while to set in, I was becoming blah about the whole thing (veganism) but yeah, this is why. you feel like crap, you are what you eat: dead.

so don't ever eat dead aminols because you'll feel like crap and you will be killing defensewess aminols.

ewwwwwwwwwwwwww.

p.s. I feel so catholic now. what is penance? 50 hail tofus?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-15-2003, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

SO... lol... does that mean you're veg*an again?
#3 Old 03-15-2003, 09:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I've had several hamburgers ~5 since becoming a vegetarian about 6 years ago. But they never tasted like I thought they would, and were never worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-15-2003, 09:51 PM

yes. it means i am again. because ew. . .

yeah thalia. :\\
#5 Old 03-15-2003, 11:39 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by I r produce

yes. it means i am [vegan] again. because ew. . .

yeah thalia. :\\

John Robbins says we should label our food, but not each other.

If you want to do "penance," it would be more appropriate--in my opinion--to help out on MeatOut or EarthDay or whatever is going on in your locality than to beat yourself up.

Go forth and sin no more.
#6 Old 03-16-2003, 12:02 AM
Veggie Regular

i agree. don't be too hard on yourself, instead just do something to make yourself feel good about veganism and why we do all this craziness to help the planet go volunteer some extra hours at a shelter as your punishment rather than feeling guilty

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#7 Old 03-16-2003, 12:13 AM
Banned

Hey IR, if that's the worst thing you ever do (to yourself or to animals) then I think you'll probably be okay.
#8 Old 03-16-2003, 12:23 AM
Administrator

It just blows my mind how this type of thing happens. You hear it all the time, people veg*n for years and years go back to eating meat. I'm not saying it could never happen but I just can't see myself doing it, I doubt most of us can. So what is it that just makes people go back? I could understand if you had cravings for things you couldn't have but you can make just about anything meat-free these days. Do they just get burnt out?

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 03-16-2003, 12:29 AM
Banned

I was thinking about it a little while back because I just can't afford the "good" veggie-foods I used to buy. I haven't bought tofu in months, for example. But just thinking about meat made me a bit ill. I would never judge anyone for eating meat whether there were once a veg*n or not, but no, I certainly couldn't see myself going back. So now it's ramen and bananas every day
#10 Old 03-16-2003, 12:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quite often, I am required to make Tuna Salad and Curried Tuna Salad at work. While I am deeply disturbed by what I am required to do for my job, and I feel saddened by the poor fish that I'm mashing up with mayonaise and spices, part of me wants to take a big ol bite of it... I won't, I can't, but I find myself wanting to.....

Nec Aspera Terrent
#11 Old 03-16-2003, 12:53 AM
Administrator

Yeah, I get cravings too. I guess that's the way it starts. You want it so bad you think you'll just have it once and then it's twice and next thing you know you're having it every day. Kind of like that pesky crack habit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#12 Old 03-16-2003, 12:57 AM
Veggie Regular

when my friend went veg she had wierd cravings for bologna, but she believes that cravings are your body telling you you're in need of something, so she listened and had a bologna sandwich. at the time she was still a new veg*n so it probably didn't freak her out all that much. personally i didn't go through that, thankfully. i sometimes think i miss a certain food but then i'll imagine or remember the taste and texture and it just doesn't appeal to me anymore. like i'll see something or hear about a certain dish and think it sounds good or looks good, but picturing myself actually eating it is all i need to remind myself how gross it really is

~Miyavi "Torture"
#13 Old 03-16-2003, 04:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I gave up smoking 207 days ago. Except that by chance I found a cigar in the house last week. Suddenly I thought 'it' would make me feel good happy and fulfilled. My life is austere, I wanted a treat. I lit it up and smoked an inch of it. Actually it was delicious but I saw my next door neighbour who has lung cancer later on and I've had a sore patch over my lung on my back ever since... And it stunk the room out even with the window open. Ugh.
#14 Old 03-16-2003, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by I r produce

p.s. I feel so catholic now. what is penance? 50 hail tofus? [/B]

It's Hail Seitan.
#15 Old 03-16-2003, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

for me, the temptation comes from cheese. cheese pizzas, in fact. i haven't given in for a long time, but during that first two years of "veganism" i did cave and have a few things with cheese on them from time to time.

i always came away from it feeling really loagy. i decided it wasn't worth the after-affects. now when i get the craving i have something sprinkled liberally with nutritional yeast.
#16 Old 03-16-2003, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I think most of the people who go back after years and years are the health motivated people. Most of us here have been associating horrific stories and pictures with animal foods for so long we have definitly lost most overwhelming taste for it.

And possibly supporting this, we see few pictures of fish and other seafood (they are just harder to relate to), and that is the only kind of animal flesh I ever think about. (Still working on the cheese thing.)
#17 Old 03-16-2003, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I ate some cheese ages after I'd become vegan. I'd moved to a new town and didn't know anyone, I hadn't got a job... the urge came over me so, I did. Like it would transform my life and make me normal and fit in with everyone or something It was brie and it felt like eating what I imagine congealed spunk would feel like, and smelly with it. Never again. And I got spots. That was over twenty years ago.
#18 Old 03-16-2003, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't get any food cravings. What tempts me is beauty products... there are so many lotions and other products I'd love to use, but they're tested on animals.
#19 Old 03-16-2003, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Lotions.

#20 Old 03-16-2003, 09:14 PM
Banned

Ewwwww. Michael is getting aroused by lotions? Ewwwwww.
#21 Old 03-17-2003, 03:44 PM

I think meat and animal flesh is an acquired taste. Since I was born a veg, I haven't had any of the craving for animal flesh that is described here and I hate the taste of Boca Burgers.

I did have some craving for the Kentucky Fried Chicken Popcorn Chicken but only because it looked so much like a vegetable pakora (a type of spicy vegetable fritter made in Indian kitchens). I wonder if there are any spicy popcorn fried potatoes available anywhere outside of Indian restaurants?
#22 Old 03-17-2003, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

When I was pregnant with our 4th child (after being a vegetarian for a few years) I felt awful...weak etc. - unlike during my other pregnancies when I had been an omni. So, my husband prepared a steak for me and I ate it. (Much to my children's disgust.) The meat didn't make me feel a bit better, so that was the end of that 'experiment'. I never knew why I felt so bad when I was pregnant that time...but I gave birth to a beautiful, healthy baby girl and felt fine, as soon as she was out.

I still feel guilty about eating it and it was 9 1/2 years ago.
#23 Old 03-19-2003, 01:16 AM
Veggie Regular

My mom still asks me if I eat fish but no, I'd feel awful about myself and think of the frozen dead fish in the meat coolers..and that smell! x( eccccch!

The only lapses I get are cookies, or small pieces of milk fat containing chocolate. I barely managed, but it was just passed out, and already paid for so....whoops.

I dont like the taste of boca burgers much either, too much like what I thinka hamburger would taste like. I like Dr. Praegers veggie burgers, just tasted like a patty of crispy veggies. yum. I never get cravings for meat. ~tori
#24 Old 03-31-2003, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I've only been veg*n for a year, and I do occasionally get cravings for the food I used to like. Thankfully, I've never caved! Whenever I feel weak, I go look at some videos on the peta sites and that scares it right out of me... or listen to The Other Man by Sloan, which for some creepy reason reminds me that being a veggie is worlds better than being an omni.
#25 Old 03-31-2003, 11:34 PM
Administrator

That always works for me too. I just picture the animals in my head (and not in my mouth I guess). Anyway, I'll admit that I do get cravings but there's not really anything I can't still eat, it just takes a little more time and effort.

#26 Old 04-01-2003, 05:39 AM
Veggie Regular

What's worse then temp to great-just-a-little-bit is when you realize that theirs dead animal in something you've been eating for a wile and just somehow missed it. I still feel bad about not seeing it.
#27 Old 04-01-2003, 11:50 AM

The only thing I give in to is cheese, but I have no real cravings for meat. The only time I have ever put any thought into it is when I am really hungry, and the only place around is McDevils or something. But even then it is just a no-brainer. I'd rather be very hungry than hork down a cheeseburger...
#28 Old 04-01-2003, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

i have been eating very healthy and largely meat free for years. i always would gobble up escargo given the chance no matter how much fat surrounded it. now i want to puke thinking of it!!! in the last month or so i have given up dairy and eggs. a recent favorite used to be egg white omelettes with a couple of cups of veggies. now, again i want to puke just thinking of it!! have never really had cravings for things that i used to eat and now do not.
#29 Old 04-01-2003, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm the same way. even if something smells good, all i have to do is picture the texture and taste of it and i want to gag. most of the time it's just the seasonings that smell good not the meat, and it tricks my brain into thinking i want meat for a split second. one day i got thinking about thanksgiving dinners and how much i used to like turkey and the smell of it cooking all day, then i realized it was just the sage and other herbs i was smelling all those years, so i use those same herbs on potatoes instead

what i find wierd is that the other night we were watching CSI and they showed this killer cutting off the finger of his victim, and you could hear the knife going through the flesh and the bone, and my bf and roommate, both omni, shuddered at the sight and looked like they felt ill. i'm sorry but that's how i feel at the thought of someone cutting into the flesh of any other creature, so i don't see how they can freak out of that and then eat a pork chop. to me it's the same thing, i don't think i could even cut into a piece of meat let alone eat it at this point.

~Miyavi "Torture"
#30 Old 04-01-2003, 04:52 PM
Banned

i've been vegan for about 5 years plus and have never had any cravings..only thing that every every so often sounds almost appealing is kraft macaroni and cheese. nasty! never given in of course.

i've never eaten any non vegan thing (knowingly at least, and i'm pretty damn cautious so i doubt unknowingly either) was a sip of some protein shake thing that had honey in it. and honey was the last ingredient too so i didnt feel too inhumane.

even the thought of eating chicken or fish (only things i really even ate when i did eat meat) has never crossed my mind. makes me kinda sick to even think about.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page