Slim pickins - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-03-2003, 08:13 PM
Beginner

I live in a small town that has one grocery store called the Pick n Save. It's really lame. They don't have many vegetarian products. Only like Morningstar Farms and Silk and other little things. Anyway, today I scooped up as many soy products as the store carried and took them to the cashier. As the woman was ringing it all up she looked up and asked me, "awww, you must have diabEEtis." I looked at her and said, "um no. I am a vegetarian". And then the 200 and something pound moon pie said to me, "you best be careful son, your bones'll get fraile with this kinda thing." I then started picking up items off of the rotating belt and systematically named vitamins and minerals listed in each and asked her if she new what they were for." She didn't know. She was dumb. I hate the Pick n Save and people like her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-03-2003, 08:15 PM
Banned

hehe... "200 and something pound moon pie"
#3 Old 12-03-2003, 08:18 PM

Hah! One time at my supermarket when I got Tofu, Vegetarian Quieche (yuck) and soymilk the lady was like.. "So who's the healthy Vegetarian in your family?"

and I was like "me!"

So she said "Oh cool, Im vegetarian too!!! Do you eat sausages?"

me "Nope"

Her "Oh I do sometimes! What about chicken?"

Me "Nope"

Her "Oh wow I couldnt not eat chicken, what about *insert every other meat here*"

me "Nope"

Her "Oh I do sometimes"

I dont really see how she considered herself vegetarian!

hah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-03-2003, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Our stores up here lack oh so many lovely vegetarian items.. but there is enough atkins sh!t! Um the last time i was in there I bought some Boca sausages for my vegetarian kids, and the lady in the checkout line was like..

Her: do you eat those

me: no they have egg whites in them so I dont eat them, they are for my kids.

Her: Oh, I choked one down one time, they were horrible, give me a big old cheeseburger or some deer sausage any day...

me: Not me, Thank you.

her: Oh well, I thought you ate meat cuz you said those werent for you

me: No I dont eat meat or animal based products... her: "That's really weird"

me: no weirder than eating the pig intestines that coat your sausages or peeling flesh off cooked chicken carcasses...

She just gave me a funny look.
#5 Old 12-03-2003, 11:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Just a quick exercise for myself:

"I will never take the abundance of vegan products in L.A. for granted."

#6 Old 12-04-2003, 07:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I can easily get vegetarian products. vegan items are a little harder to come by, so the health food store is for that. (I'm not vegan though, so it makes it a little easier.) I often go to the health food store to pick up some gelatin-free gummi bears, are addictive. When i was playing this peace festival in September, i was in apark next to St Anne's town centre, and they have a Holland and Barret there, so i got some gummi bears. I returned an hour later and got some more, and the cahier commented saying "You must really like them, eh?" and gave me a smile.

OK, that's about it for comments i've recieved when purchasing vegetarian products.
#7 Old 12-04-2003, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

Hehehehe....ditto for me, insert "vegan products in Ft. Lauderdale."

Many people who work at my local Whole Foods are veg*n too, so it's nice to be checking out and the person saying, "oooh, have you tried this yet, it's awesome!"
#8 Old 12-04-2003, 08:21 AM
Banned

Hehe. I love it when vegetarians are smarta**es and put people in their place, such as listing the vitamins and minerals. Maybe it will make them think twice before making an ignorant comment again.
#9 Old 12-04-2003, 08:35 AM

It always amazes me when I hear about people saying that veg*ism isn't healthy. It's definitely not worse than eating big steaks & fast food!!

Thankfully, I've never really had this problem. I've gotten comments from cashiers at the grocery store about how healthy I eat, which is always nice.

Maybe get a small list of things you would like to see Pick & Save carry. The ones around here have big health food sections, so I know they can get the stuff from their warehouse. Ask to talk to the store manager & see if they'll stock some of the stuff you want. Otherwise, they can special order some cases for you. You'd have to buy the whole case, but if it's something you know you'll like it would be worth it.
#10 Old 12-04-2003, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Thankfully, I've never really had this problem. I've gotten comments from cashiers at the grocery store about how healthy I eat, which is always nice.

-----------------

That happened to me too once. Neither she nor I mentioned the word 'vegan' or vegetraian which seemed nice but she just said 'wow, you buy all healthy thing'
#11 Old 12-04-2003, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

That reminds me. I went to the store a few weeks ago, and they had this weird offer. You go weekly and spend a certin and at the end they give you a gift certificate for another ammount for thanksgiving.

Me: Do I have to buy turky?

cashier: no you can spend it on anything you want

Me: nifty

cashier: are you a vegatirian or vegan?

Me: vegitarian

cashier: My sister is vegan. And this thanksgiving she is comming over, so I am going to make sure there is plenty of food for her to eat.

Me: That is great. I am sure she wil be greatfull.

What a cool sister.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#12 Old 12-04-2003, 03:23 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artichoke47 View Post

Hehe. I love it when vegetarians are smarta**es and put people in their place, such as listing the vitamins and minerals. Maybe it will make them think twice before making an ignorant comment again.

Yes. Her voluptous 250+ pound self with boils growing from her ears really seemed like a good one to give dietary advice. My hick town is full of very obese folk. They all waddle around the Pick n Save and Wal-Mart, eat slabs of pork and bacon and beef and fat and eggs and slop at the Golden Corral while ironically taking pride in their prize winning gardens. I am glad I'm only here to go to college. Bleh!
#13 Old 12-04-2003, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

Insert "Bloomington Indiana" My thoughts exactly.

Although I have lived in some very veggie unfriendly places prior to moving here.
#14 Old 12-04-2003, 03:31 PM

I don't mean to be *****y, but *please* think about what you say about overweight people. There are some great people that post on this board that are veg*n *and* overweight. People's feelings have been very hurt in the past from comments like the ones above & I really like those people that were hurt. I agree that the cashier was ignorant & a bit rude, but there's really no reason to pick on her size or appearance.
#15 Old 12-04-2003, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Me: (Buying lots of fruits and veggies)

Cashier: Are you vegetarian?

Me: Yes (not wanting to explain the vegan thing)

Cashier: Well, that keeps you skinny!

#16 Old 12-04-2003, 03:34 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post

I don't mean to be *****y, but *please* think about what you say about overweight people. There are some great people that post on this board that are veg*n *and* overweight. People's feelings have been very hurt in the past from comments like the ones above & I really like those people that were hurt. I agree that the cashier was ignorant & a bit rude, but there's really no reason to pick on her size or appearance.

I apologize. I do not mean to knock overweight people in general. But this particular woman probably would not look the way she does if she didn't eat gourds of pig and cow.
#17 Old 12-04-2003, 03:43 PM
Beginner

By the way, I usually have to order my veg stuff from online sources. At least they have the US postal service here. I almost dropped my drawers when I saw Morningstar burgers at the Pick n Save.
#18 Old 12-04-2003, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Heh, I'm with everyone else who lives in a large city blessed with vegan bounty.

There's a grocery clerk strike going on here though (it's been two months). Since I won't cross the picket line I usually shop at the local Mexican markets for staples, produce, and the like, but the other day I had to go to Stater Brothers (a chain that is not on strike). Stater Brothers is more "down home" than the other markets around here; they sort of remind me of what exists in the Midwest. It was very sad to see the crappy selection and death-heavy offerings they had. Everyone's cart was loaded with pork products, canned chili (no beans here), and frozen dinners. I don't think I've ever seen so many people buying donuts in one place at one time in my life. Bleh.
#19 Old 12-04-2003, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post

I'm sure the description had a bit to do with her attitude, also. And I agree with Pee Wee's Pants, that she wouldn't be that squishy if she didn't eat all the garbage that she probably eats.

Anyhoo, NYC is *great* for veggie foods. The only thing I would add is a vegetarian restaurant in my neighborhood (Astoria--for anyone who's looking to open a veggie restaurant, wink wink), that'd be great. A lot of veggies in Astoria, but no veggie restaurant.

Pee Wee, I hope they keep stocking the veggie burgers. Maybe you could ask them to carry more of that stuff, since they obviously (from your post) sell out of it fairly quickly.
#20 Old 12-04-2003, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd have to say it's not that bad where I live. I live in a fairly small suburb town, but the town grocery store actually has a Wild Harvest in it, as well as a whole Kosher Foods section(that means lots of meat free and dairy free products!), so I'm pretty content They don't have nutritional yeast, REAL non-dairy cheese (just casien crap ) or Tofurkey, but they have a good enough selection for being in a small suburb town. Once in awhile I'll go in the city and buy some stuff too.

Are there any other better grocery stores in surrounding towns?
#21 Old 12-04-2003, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

you know, "pee wee", there's a very good chance that cashier would look like she does, even if she were a veg*n like you and me. knock it off with the fat-hating. it's really offensive and unneccessary and has nothing to do with her making ignorant comments about your food choices. the rest of you who think it was funny, go make your own little bigoted fat-hating club where i don't have to read it. mkthnx.
#22 Old 12-04-2003, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnyc View Post

I'm sure the description had a bit to do with her attitude, also. And I agree with Pee Wee's Pants, that she wouldn't be that squishy if she didn't eat all the garbage that she probably eats.

yeah, whatever. go read the "did you lose weight when you became veg*n" poll results. seems like it's a crapshoot whether or not you drop pounds when you change from meat-eating. this is a myth that caters to the fatphobic atmosphere of our society.

also, wtf? how many times do you hear someone say "so this skinny minny was really rude to me because of the veggie burgers i had in my cart when i was checking out! omg! she was so horrible and skinny! i bet if she ate vegetarian she'd fill out a bit and get healthy!" *******s come in all sizes, people. don't make someone's body size a character judgement, it screams of prejudice and it stinks.
#23 Old 12-04-2003, 06:29 PM
Banned

I thought it was awesome that he listed the vitamins and minerals to her; I think he just thought the comment about her weight, didn't say anything about it.
#24 Old 12-04-2003, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I thought it was awesome that he listed the vitamins and minerals to her; I think he just thought the comment about her weight, didn't say anything about it.

so he comes here and spews his bigotry where *i*, a 200 lb + "moon pie" can read it, and that makes it somehow better? sorry. nuh-uh. no dice. prejudice is prejudice is prejudice, whether you say it to someone's face, or post it on a message board where anyone can read it and run with it.
#25 Old 12-04-2003, 06:35 PM
Banned

I understand, Kreeli. I don't like it when people make comments about weight, either. In fact, I don't like it when people call themselves fat!

However, I think Pee Wee was accentuating the fact that he didn't like this woman, and the name-calling had more to do with his anger and frustration than a prejudice comment, or fat joke. The fact that he brought it here shows that he wanted vegetarians to "vent" to, not that he wanted to really make fun of fat people.

I don't think he meant it as an overweight joke; it was more to do with omnis and their ignorance.
#26 Old 12-04-2003, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I understand, Kreeli. I don't like it when people make comments about weight, either. In fact, I don't like it when people call themselves fat!

However, I think Pee Wee was accentuating the fact that he didn't like this woman, and the name-calling had more to do with his anger and frustration than a prejudice comment, or fat joke. The fact that he brought it here shows that he wanted vegetarians to "vent" to, not that he wanted to really make fun of fat people.

I don't think he meant it as an overweight joke; it was more to do with omnis and their ignorance.

oh really? okay, let's try it this way, then. read his post and substitute "black" "jewish" "gay" or "lesbian" in where he derrogatorily refers to her being a fat person. how "harmless" and "unintentional" would his remarks seem to you then?

i repeat: prejudice is prejudice is prejudice and i refuse to let it "go" just because he was frustrated by his shopping experience. i also resent that people who do not go through life as a fat person think they have the right to tell me what should or should not be offensive to me. the bottom line is: what he said WAS offensive to me, and would be to a lot of the other fat veg*ns i know.
#27 Old 12-04-2003, 06:41 PM
Banned

I definitely see what you mean, Kreeli. I'm sorry that you are offended.
#28 Old 12-04-2003, 06:43 PM
Beginner

I'm in San Diego, and love the abundance of vegan grocery options here, from Whole Foods to locally owned Jimbo's. I think most larger cities have vegan options. I'm originally from Chicago and there are vegan options there as well. When I lived in Portland and Seattle there were the most.

I can imagine a smaller town in the South is abyssmal for vegan choices. The local quisine is probably the most animal-centric in the country and the dominant culture is very conservative and traditional.

You can always go the mail-order route, or roll up your sleeves and make seitan, soymilk, tempeh, and vegan burgers yourself from scratch. If you like to cook, the challenge could be fun, but I would imagine it would get annoying after awhile. You could always make an excess and sell it to the 1 or 2 other vegans in town! I'm sure they'd appreciate the options!
#29 Old 12-04-2003, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know artichoke, I think commenting on her appearance is a knee-jerk reaction that a lot of us give in to when we're peeved about something. It's a quick and easy thing to slam someone's appearance when you're mad at them (regardless of the reason) and don't know them personally. A lot of people used to do this with race, i.e. "that [insert ethnicity] is a mutha f-er," but because that is now socially unacceptable, those inclined to say such things swallow them. Commenting on weight, on the other hand, is still socially sanctioned so it's the new (and old) easy target. Pee Wee probably meant no grievous harm, but that's why fat-slamming is so insidious and why it's still permitted. If no one points out that it's not cool to slam someone's appearance when you're mad at them, everyone will continue to do it. If they are made aware that it's not acceptable they can mull it over and try to change their ways if they want to.

I know I'm working on this myself, and probably wouldn't have thought too much about it if I hadn't read the comments on VB.
#30 Old 12-04-2003, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Man, I'm a slow typer. Disregard my previous pontification. I was roundly beaten to it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page