B12 from food? [B12 analogues listed in smoothie ingredients] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-24-2009, 07:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I picked up a Naked juice smoothie this morning. I always make my own, but I was running late this morning and I saw this at the store and figured I'd give it a try. It says that it has 25% of daily B12. And it doesn't look to have supplements. So what food could the B12 be in? I thought B12 was the one thing we couldn't get from food.

Here's the ingredient list:

Apple Juice

Mango puree

Pineapple juice

Banana puree

Kiwi puree

Spirulina

Natural flavor

Chlorella

Broccoli

Spinach

Barley grass

Wheat grass

Parsley

Ginger root

Blue green algae

Odorless garlic

Any ideas? Maybe the natural flavor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-24-2009, 07:18 AM
Vegan Police Officer

There's no B12 in there that humans require.

The B12 in the chlorella and spirulina is a B12 analogue which is not the same as the B12 that we need.

As for the myth that B12 is in wheatgrass, forget it.
#3 Old 03-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Interesting, thanks for letting me know. I think it's very misleading of them to put on the nutritional label that is fulfills 25% of your daily B12 needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-24-2009, 08:49 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Misleading is not the word. It's downright irresponsible. Legally, I'm sure they could get into trouble.

But maybe they believe their lies.
#5 Old 03-24-2009, 09:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I sent the company an email about this. If they reply to me, I'll post the response here.
#6 Old 03-24-2009, 09:16 AM
Veggie Regular

My guess it's the blue green algae, which has also been found to be B12 analogue, which if you ate it and real b12 would crowd out the B12 and take its rightful place.
#7 Old 03-24-2009, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsveggietime! View Post

My guess it's the blue green algae, which has also been found to be B12 analogue, which if you ate it and real b12 would crowd out the B12 and take its rightful place.

So are you saying not only does it not provide the needed B12, but actually blocks it!?! Yikes, I'll stick to my homemade smoothies from now on. They taste better anyway!
#8 Old 03-26-2009, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I got a response from the company:

Quote:
We appreciate you sharing your comments about B12 in Green Machine. We have forwarded your inquiry to management for review and will contact you when we have additional information to share.

Kimberley

Naked Juice Consumer Relations

Ref# 026815401A

Hopefully, they'll do something about their false advertising.
#9 Old 03-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Vegan Police Officer

I hope they will reply to you soon.

Something even more worrying about B12 analogues which I read on Wiki today is the following: "Finally, so-called Pseudo-B12 refers to B12-like substances which are found in certain organisms, including Spirulina (a cyanobacterium) and some algae. These substances are active in tests of B12 activity by highly sensitive antibody-binding serum assay tests, which measure levels of B12 and B12-like compounds in blood. However, these substances do not have B12 biological activity for humans, a fact which may pose a danger to vegans and others on limited diets who do not ingest B12 producing bacteria, but who nevertheless may show normal "B12" levels in the standard immunoassay which has become the normal medical method for testing for B12 deficiency."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12

I don't think we need any of these "wonder foods" which end up often just being a big scam. Eating healthily is not that hard. Humans would not have evolved over all these millions of years if it was so difficult.
#10 Old 03-27-2009, 02:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

I don't think we need any of these "wonder foods" which end up often just being a big scam. Eating healthily is not that hard. Humans would not have evolved over all these millions of years if it was so difficult.

Absolutely
#11 Old 03-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

That's odd that they put it on the label, very misleading.
#12 Old 03-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Beginner

I guess the big question is how do we get B12 without eating any animal products? Cause from what I am reading, if the B12 found in plants (spirulina, etc.) doesn't give us the B12 we need, where are they getting the B12 that is found in vitamin supplements?
#13 Old 03-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar2004 View Post

I guess the big question is how do we get B12 without eating any animal products? Cause from what I am reading, if the B12 found in plants (spirulina, etc.) doesn't give us the B12 we need, where are they getting the B12 that is found in vitamin supplements?

From what I hear, it's in the soil. Before we started washing our fruit and veggies so well, we would get it from the residue. So maybe that's where they're getting the supplements from. I definitely don't think they're from animal sources.
#14 Old 03-28-2009, 03:30 AM
Vegan Police Officer

B12 is not taken from an animal in supplements!!! LOL!!

I suggest people do a research on what B12 is. There are loads and loads of articles on the internet.

Neither plants NOR animals make Vit. B12. Vitamin B12 is produced by BACTERIA that are in the ground. Animals eat these bacteria that have "contaminated" plants. These bacteria are then synthesised in their guts and become Vitamin B12.

So the supplements people eat are from bacteria which are then synthesised in laboratories.
#15 Old 03-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Beginner

Thanks for clearing that up Diana Guess I got more reading to do!!
#16 Old 05-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I finally got a response from the company. Not very helpful. I won't be buying that product again. It's a shame that they don't feel the need to change their B12 source just because they are complying with FDA regulations. I don't think it would be too difficult to add it in supplement form.

Quote:
Thank you for your patience. We have researched your request further including our ingredient supplier and are unable to offer anything about vitamin B12 in this product; we comply to what is on the package based on analytical records and FDA labeling guidelines. This product is kosher certified and is natural so we utilize non animal sources of B12 that fit into to Naked Juice philosophy.

Please understand that for competitive reasons we are unable to share any supplier ingredient details. We appreciate your interest in Naked Juice, Brittany, and hope this information is helpful.

Kimberley

Naked Juice Consumer Response

Ref# 026815401B

#17 Old 05-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Banned

that answer, while quite articulate and polite, still sucks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page