Buying meat? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 03-14-2009, 11:04 PM
SPJ
Beginner

So this is an interesting question.

How do you feel about "suppourting" the meat industry by buying meat for your loved ones? If you're an ethical vegetarian do you consider it morally inconsistant? Do you consider it suppourting an industry that you find immoral?

Vegans feel free to add Dairy,eggs, cosmetics etc to the list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I do not and would not purchase meat for a loved one. Not happenin'!!

Luckily my family knows, and would never ask me to do that.

I also won't even be around certain things, for example, KFC. I have had people ask me to drive them through KFC if I'm giving them a ride somewhere, and I most certainly would say no.
#3 Old 03-15-2009, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

I cook it at my job, but will not buy it for anyone. Nope. When I have my nieces and nephews with me, I will only buy them meat-free dishes at restaurants as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-15-2009, 02:47 AM

for the most part I dont...but when my mom was recovering from her surgeries and really needed my help I did ALL the grocery shopping and did pick up some meat items for my family...it wasnt my fave thing to do...but I am sure in all of my ALMOST 35 years on the planet there have been a few things she has done for me that she didnt want to do either... I refuse to cook it though..cause it grosses me out to no end and makes me wanna be sick.
#5 Old 03-15-2009, 07:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I have been buying meat, butter and eggs for my husband. I don't love it. I think if I asked him, he would be totally willing to go out and buy his own. Is it stupid to ask him to do that though? The money is coming from the same bank account either way.
#6 Old 03-15-2009, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I only buy meat for my obligate carnivore friends - see avatar!
#7 Old 03-15-2009, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't...
#8 Old 03-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licence View Post

Oh yes, this! I didn't really think about it.
#9 Old 03-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post

How do you feel about "suppourting" the meat industry by buying meat for your loved ones? If you're an ethical vegetarian do you consider it morally inconsistant? Do you consider it suppourting an industry that you find immoral?

Of course it is. I didn't become vegetarian just to help others to eat meat. I also don't tend to lend money to people if that's what they're going to spend it on.

Anyone who buys, cooks, eats or sells meat is equally implicated in it. -Manu-Samhita
#10 Old 03-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licence View Post

Yea, I think that's a bit different. Even then I would only buy them poultry and fish though.

It's not like a wildcat would eat much else.
#11 Old 03-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrifer View Post

Anyone who buys, cooks, eats or sells meat is equally implicated in it. -Manu-Samhita

Well, this is a tough one because some people would rather work a fast food job than be homeless and have themselves and/or their kids starve.
#12 Old 03-15-2009, 11:39 AM

If you're not happy doing it, then don't, but I don't think it's "wrong" for people to do, since the same amount of meat is going to be bought whether you buy it for them or they buy it themselves, and I also think that sometimes refusing to do things like lend people money for dinner unless they buy a veggie meal is one of the things that puts people against veggies. Meh.
#13 Old 03-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Of course it is. I didn't become vegetarian just to help others to eat meat. I also don't tend to lend money to people if that's what they're going to spend it on.

While that's a nice sentiment, as Danakscully mentioned, some people have no other option at some points in their life. I would do whatever was necessary to support my family.

And while I'm all about saving chickens from a cruel battery cage or never using dairy products in my home, I would still make compassion towards my fellow man a priority (yes, I realize some may not agree) but I'd give money to a starving family so they could eat, no questions asked - regardless of what sort of food they bought with it.

I give donations to area food banks and United Way. I am sure they're not spending my dollars on tofu.
#14 Old 03-15-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

While that's a nice sentiment, as Danakscully mentioned, some people have no other option at some points in their life. I would do whatever was necessary to support my family.

And while I'm all about saving chickens from a cruel battery cage or never using dairy products in my home, I would still make compassion towards my fellow man a priority (yes, I realize some may not agree) but I'd give money to a starving family so they could eat, no questions asked - regardless of what sort of food they bought with it.

I give donations to area food banks and United Way. I am sure they're not spending my dollars on tofu.

Well said. I tend to donate a lot as well and never thought of what they were spending the money on, as long as it was helping them.

My brother just came to stay with me. He's Omni and he's also an alcoholic who hit rock bottom and needs help. I'm not about to refuse he come stay with me because I know he's going to get meat on his tacos at taco bell, though it does bother me to have meat in the fridge.

When we go shopping he buys his own frozen dinners with meat, though if I cook he'll eat veggie no problem. Eventually I'll try to talk him into going veggie because he was pescetarian before and always said he'd do it again if we lived together, but right now I just think it's too much to ask. I'd like to get him off the booze first.
#15 Old 03-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Banned

Quote:

I agree. I would never ever buy flesh of murdered animals or their secretions. Doing otherwise would be like betraying the animals I claim to respect. My veganism is not just a personal choice, it's a political and social statement against the use and abuse of non humans.
#16 Old 03-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

My mom had surgery recently and I bought some macaroni and cheese and hamburger helper with the beef for her. She was still really sleepy and it wasn't the time for me to refuse to get what she was craving.

I had to babysit my nephew for a few days and I swear I have never met anyone so picky in my life so I bought him a frozen dinner, beef ravioli, and mcdonalds. In hindsight, I think I should have just made him eat PB&J the whole time since he likes it, but I didn't really know what to do at the time so I gave in.
#17 Old 03-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't buy meat for my family or husband. It's just not something I feel comfortable doing and they respect that.

I do, however, buy meat-based baby food (we have a couple of finicky cats who won't eat anything but kibble and baby food), cat food and lunch meat for my cats since they're obligate carnivores. To me, that's a different situation all together.

★ Vegetarian: 7/4/07 ☆ Near-Vegan: 11/08 ☆ FINALLY VEGAN! 4/4/09 ★

♥ 4 years down and a lifetime to go! ♥
#18 Old 03-15-2009, 01:36 PM

I'm not trying to criticise here, but I would like to know why people think there is a huge difference in buying meat for pets? (Again, not trying to be criticise, but I really can't see how it's that different =S)
#19 Old 03-15-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .ghost. View Post

I'm not trying to criticise here, but I would like to know why people think there is a huge difference in buying meat for pets? (Again, not trying to be criticise, but I really can't see how it's that different =S)

Because for certain animals it's a physical requirement for them. Also it is not apropriate to make a choice like that for an animal and force it into your beliefs, especially if it's not in the best health interests to the animal.

I wont say it's easy though. Somehow I ended up with three obligate carnivores (a cat and two ferrets) and knowing what's in their food creeps me out. I'd get birds again but I love my cat and I'm afraid she'd eat them. It was nice to have fellow herbavores in the house though.
#20 Old 03-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

^

#21 Old 03-15-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I do the same thing with charitable contributions and dont give it a second thought....and when I volunteer at the soup kitchens/shelters I help hand out food and there is meat on those plates and I just do it.
#22 Old 03-16-2009, 06:45 AM

You know, I went to type this doing what I've been trying to do recently - saying animals in place of meat. It made me realize that I need to talk to my husband about not only me not cooking them for him anymore, but maybe not buying them at all.

I mean when I went to type it saying "meat" it sounded ok:

I've been buying meat for my husband because he still eats it. I won't cook it though.

But replace it with "animals" and suddenly it is very different:

I've been buying animals for my husband because he still eats them. I won't cook them though.

Yea, I think I can't keep buying animals for his consumption. If he buys something and brings it home I may be able to deal with it but I don't think I will go out and buy them myself...it's a moral issue
#23 Old 03-16-2009, 07:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrilynhawk View Post

You know, I went to type this doing what I've been trying to do recently - saying animals in place of meat. It made me realize that I need to talk to my husband about not only me not cooking them for him anymore, but maybe not buying them at all.

I mean when I went to type it saying "meat" it sounded ok:

I've been buying meat for my husband because he still eats it. I won't cook it though.

But replace it with "animals" and suddenly it is very different:

I've been buying animals for my husband because he still eats them. I won't cook them though.

You could go a step further and replace "animals" as follows:

"I've been buying murdered animals that have lived their entire emotionally-starved lives in constant fear and pain before being viciously slaughtered for my husband because he still eats them."
#24 Old 03-16-2009, 07:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't buy meat and/or diary, eggs etc. for friends. When they're over for lunch/dinner I gladly cook them something vegan, it's ok when they bring a sandwich or a pizza for themselfes but I would prefer to cook something for them.
#25 Old 03-16-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane View Post

I do not and would not purchase meat for a loved one. Not happenin'!!

Luckily my family knows, and would never ask me to do that.

I also won't even be around certain things, for example, KFC. I have had people ask me to drive them through KFC if I'm giving them a ride somewhere, and I most certainly would say no.

Same here. I simply refuse! When I go to the supermarket with my sister (she does eat meat) I do always highly encourage her to buy free-range meat and she does

btw I have been told that most of my meat eating friends/family are surprised when they eat vegetarian meat alternatives. They say they taste exactly like the real thing (not that I would know )
#26 Old 03-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Beginner

My fiance and kids are omnis. I rarely buy or cook meat for them, but on special occasions I will cook for my kids whats asked. Because for me to try and force my beliefs on them, or to denigrate them for making the choices they make, would make me just as morally bankrupt as the guy in the factory killing the cows.
#27 Old 03-16-2009, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belphoebe View Post

btw I have been told that most of my meat eating friends/family are surprised when they eat vegetarian meat alternatives. They say they taste exactly like the real thing (not that I would know )

I've found the same with several things I've given my omni friends to eat. Nate's beef style taquitos, for example. They didn't know they weren't real meat until I told them (they know I won't cook them meat, but they're used to my parents making non-vegetarian meals for them and my husband, so they assumed they were actual beef).

I'm not sure how things are going to work out with my not buying/cooking meat for my husband once we're not living with my parents any more, since he doesn't go grocery shopping and can't cook to save himself. I'm guessing he's just going to eat what I make most nights and then get something meat-based when we go out to eat or maybe buy some frozen dinners he can "cook" himself. He's receptive to my veg*n meals and generally eats them without an issue, but he does like meat, too.

He can buy meat if he wants to (I wish he wouldn't, but I respect his choices), but he's going to be the one responsible for getting it and cooking it because I won't. I've made that clear and so far there's been no issues. Either he eats what I eat or my parents cook him something with meat in it.

#28 Old 03-16-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post

I buy meat for my loved ones exactly once a year. I host approximately 40 family members every year for Thanksgiving and I order 2 free-range, organic turkeys for the occasion. They cost me $250, but I consider it a compromise. If someone were to bring or provide hunted turkeys, I would be okay with using those. Everything else I make is meat-free. I am okay with doing this one thing once a year. The rest of the time, my omnivorous friends and family must eat vegetarian when they come over (this includes my husband). And I do still feed my dogs and cat meat. They are carnivores - it's how their systems are set up. But I do give them fresh veggies and whole grains as supplements to their commercial foods in about a 3/1 ratio.

Here's why I don't consider my Thanksgiving deal to be immoral or ethically inconsistent: I buy from a place where I know the turkeys are free-range outdoors, given plenty of food and water, and not subjected to the systems in place for mass-production. I also order medium-sized turkeys. I am not a vegan, though I certainly respect those who choose to be. I have no problem with the natural food chain. I am vegetarian because I do not approve of the cruelty inherent in the current food production practices in this country. I also disapprove of the use of hormones and the tremendous negative environmental impacts of said industry. I will continue to support vegetarianism, but I will compromise once a year for my loved ones.
#29 Old 03-16-2009, 11:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eikon View Post

My fiance and kids are omnis. I rarely buy or cook meat for them, but on special occasions I will cook for my kids whats asked. Because for me to try and force my beliefs on them, or to denigrate them for making the choices they make, would make me just as morally bankrupt as the guy in the factory killing the cows.

Oh damn. When did refusing to participate in one of the most massively inhumane industries ever known to humankind (even if your kids really really enjoy eating meat) become as morally bankrupt as killing an innocent creature?

I'm wondering, have you seen Meet Your Meat or Earthling's or that HBO special on the pig farm or anything lately? No offense, but it honestly doesn't seem like what's happening to animals could be very real to you. It's like an intellectual idea.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#30 Old 03-16-2009, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Oh damn. When did refusing to participate in one of the most massively inhumane industries ever known to humankind (even if your kids really really enjoy eating meat) become as morally bankrupt as killing an innocent creature?

Yeah its a puzzler. So many posters reel with horror at the idea of forcing their vegetarian beliefs onto their children, but have no qualms about forcing their beliefs about lying, cheating, stealing, assault, etc. on them. I should hardly think that parents forcing their children to be against theft are as morally bankrupt as thieves.

I suppose the difference is that there is an underlying assumption that humans are entitled to do whatever they please to those who cannot fight back, and while society has succeeded in convincing people who like to steal that they are most certainly not entitled to take whatever they want from human animals, its still not only acceptable to do this to non human animals - by stealing their freedom and their very lives from them - its actually as viable and worthy of respect as choosing not to, and that people who choose not to steal the lives of other animals are actually sacrificing their inalienable right to do so. Its mind boggling to say the least.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page