So I went into a kebab shop today.. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

To get some chips. I felt a bit nervous asking but I asked if they cooked their chips in vegetable oil or beef fat.

(Really asked because It's been pointed out on this forum before).

They gave it to me straight which I appreciated and told me it was vegetable oil but they cooked everything in there. They obviously knew why I was asking.

I did get some chips because I wasn't too bothered.

How do you feel about such situations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Banned

i'm not too bothered either. the hot oil seals the surface of anything that goes into it.
#3 Old 03-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't mind.

My vegetarianism isn't about personal purity.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-01-2009, 09:07 PM

personally I would be bothered and wouldnt have had any.
#5 Old 03-01-2009, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

bothers me and I don't do it, personal choice of course
#6 Old 03-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Veggie Regular

It would have bothered me, too, but I agree, it's a personal choice. I don't think there is a "right" answer to it, but it's not something I would do knowingly.

★ Vegetarian: 7/4/07 ☆ Near-Vegan: 11/08 ☆ FINALLY VEGAN! 4/4/09 ★

♥ 4 years down and a lifetime to go! ♥
#7 Old 03-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't knowingly do it, but as mentioned, I think it's a personal choice.
#8 Old 03-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes it would bother me and gross me out at the same time!
#9 Old 03-01-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

I don't mind.

My vegetarianism isn't about personal purity.

I don't think it is necessarily about purity, just feeling uncomfortable, or revolted etc...

I don't know how I would feel; I have only got chips from McDonalds, and they fry in veg oil and fry separately, in the UK, according to their website, the last time I looked. And I don't see much difference buying chips from them as I do food from Tescos etc.

Chips, when I did buy them from chip shops, in the past, did sometimes taste of fish, which I found unpleasant.

#10 Old 03-02-2009, 05:43 AM

Personally I wouldn't mind that much. My friend and I got some fried stuff (fries and onion rings) at a veg-friendly pizza place the other day and we were told that other things are cooked in there. We both got our fried food anyways. The truth of it is that with how hot the grease is, there's no real cross contamination so I'm not that worried about it. And trust me, I'm pretty stringent on most aspects of my veganism - but this isn't one of them.
#11 Old 03-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Veggie Regular

wouldn't do it if I knew about it but I've had chips in various restraunts and not asked if they fried other things in the oil.
#12 Old 03-02-2009, 07:36 AM
Veggie Regular

It's hard for me to believe the cross contamination isn't happening. Especially when the fryer oil can impart flavors of the other foods that have been fried in it.
#13 Old 03-02-2009, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

If I went into a chip shop that fried all the stuff in together I wouldn't care for a one off visit, but I wouldn't go back. All the regular, local chippies that I go to fry their chips in separate fryers anyway, so it's never an issue.

m8itcanw8.com
#14 Old 03-02-2009, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

You would be suprised what comes in contact with your food in hot oil. From years of experience, people would complain that the chicken they ordered tastes like the shrimp someone else ordered and we changed fryer oil everyday. Most places don't.

Again I am not knocking anyones decision but fryers are not the cleanlest places.

Come to think of it I don't think I have had anything fried in a few years.
#15 Old 03-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaybackGuru View Post

Come to think of it I don't think I have had anything fried in a few years.

That's sad. you should invest in a fryer.
#16 Old 03-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I wasn't too bothered because it's not really giving money to the death/suffering of animals, and it's just that it's cooked in the same stuff. If it tasted loads like meat or had chunks of dead body of it yeh that would be pretty gross.

I respect that though, not wanting to get any of it near you. Probably get to that eventually.

No freaking way am I buying something in mcdonalds though, if it wasn't for my hatred for them I probably wouldn't be a vegetarian. Yet, anyway.
#17 Old 03-02-2009, 09:56 AM

I wouldn't eat it, but then I can't even let things sit on the same baking tray together if my mum ever cooks something for me (which is about twice a year, but hey) but then she doesn't mind, so I think it is just personal choice.

I realise that lots of the food I eat probably comes into contact with loads of stuff, but when I know it has I can't get it out of my head whilst I'm eating it =S
#18 Old 03-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't eat it. Early on in my vegetarianism I got some fries that were cooked in vegetable oil. I didn't notice until I had eaten most of them that at the bottom of the container were tiny little fried pieces of chicken! Yuck!
#19 Old 03-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetoTheTyrant View Post

It's hard for me to believe the cross contamination isn't happening. Especially when the fryer oil can impart flavors of the other foods that have been fried in it.

This.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#20 Old 03-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

This.

am I missing something? post doesn't seem to say much
#21 Old 03-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

It means I agree. I get bored saying "I agree" all the time, and I don't do +1.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#22 Old 03-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

It means I agree. I get bored saying "I agree" all the time, and I don't do +1.

<---dum, dumb
#23 Old 03-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#24 Old 03-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyelse View Post

+1
#25 Old 03-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't mind if they are fried with other things, like mozzarella sticks or something just non-vegan. I sure as hell wont eat them if they are fried with meat though. I use to not care, then I started thinking...if my husband had a bunch of meat deepfrying at home, would I really go ahead and stick my food down in there after its all contaminated in meat particles, heck no!
#26 Old 03-03-2009, 09:19 AM

this thread title sounds like its gonna be a joke
#27 Old 03-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post

this thread title sounds like its gonna be a joke

i keep forgetting and reading it and getting excited then disapointed.
#28 Old 03-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not ethically opposed to eating stuff fried in the same fryer as meat, so I don't have a hard-and-fast rule to avoid it/always ask. That said, the idea grosses me out, so I would probably choose somewhere else to eat if I knew about it and had a convenient alternative.
#29 Old 03-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

i wouldn't be morally opposed to it but it grosses me out to the point of not eating any food that has been cooked with dead flesh. also, i won't eat anything that's been on the same plate as meat. my friends think its ridiculous but it just grosses me out too much and i lose my appetite.

i have a horror story about ordering fries once. after driving an hour late-ish at night on a sunday with a bunch of friends to get to a restaurant we haven't been to in a while, we find it no longer exists. all of us are starving and the only thing that's open is a cheeseburger paradise. having no choice and starving, i agreed to eat there. there was pretty much nothing on the menu i could eat. i asked how the fries are cooked and explained that i'm a veggie. the waitress gets the cook to agree to empty the fryer and use fresh oil, so i agree to it. so, i'm sitting there eating these fries. then while i'm chewing one, i realize that its squishy. i was eating and had swallowed some shrimp. in addition to being veggie, i'm also allergic to seafood. after running to the bathroom to throw up, i finally settle down and order some ice cream to get my mind off of it. then i find a large hair in the ice cream. it was one of the most disturbing food experiences i've had.

http://www.butikiteas.com
#30 Old 03-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronzebed View Post

i wouldn't be morally opposed to it but it grosses me out to the point of not eating any food that has been cooked with dead flesh. also, i won't eat anything that's been on the same plate as meat. my friends think its ridiculous but it just grosses me out too much and i lose my appetite.

i have a horror story about ordering fries once. after driving an hour late-ish at night on a sunday with a bunch of friends to get to a restaurant we haven't been to in a while, we find it no longer exists. all of us are starving and the only thing that's open is a cheeseburger paradise. having no choice and starving, i agreed to eat there. there was pretty much nothing on the menu i could eat. i asked how the fries are cooked and explained that i'm a veggie. the waitress gets the cook to agree to empty the fryer and use fresh oil, so i agree to it. so, i'm sitting there eating these fries. then while i'm chewing one, i realize that its squishy. i was eating and had swallowed some shrimp. in addition to being veggie, i'm also allergic to seafood. after running to the bathroom to throw up, i finally settle down and order some ice cream to get my mind off of it. then i find a large hair in the ice cream. it was one of the most disturbing food experiences i've had.

EW EW EW EW EW EW EWWW!!! Shrimp?! Icky icky! I'm sorry to hear this!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page