VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegetarian Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/)
-   -   So I was in the local butcher shop today..... (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/9438-so-i-local-butcher-shop-today.html)

Kurmudgeon 11-27-2003 12:25 AM

Buying bones for my Mother's dog. It's not my money, and they'd be purchased anyway.

But when I walked in and saw the glass display cabinets with rows of the sliced flesh of Cows, Pigs and Sheep I felt very disturbed.

Asking for the bones was, in a way, amusing..... they are called "dog bones", meaning "bones for dogs"...... but said the right way can imply that they are the bones of dogs.

It's like the time at the pet supply store, where they have listed "kangaroo meat; kitten meat"..... I asked them if "kitten meat" was groundup kittens.

orangutan 11-27-2003 02:33 AM

that's funny. just goes to show what people consider "cute" animals and "resource" animals.

Finlay 11-27-2003 05:37 AM

There was this one time, quite recently, when my omni friends sent me to buy the meat (and fake-meat) for a barbecue. I don't think I've ever had a more disgusted look on my face then when I was going through the meat department.

I mean, there's actual blood on it! And they call it food?

1vegan 11-27-2003 05:39 AM

I think Kurm is lucky that my (ex)gf isn't on VB

Skylark 11-27-2003 08:38 AM

Kurm, I feel the same way when I see the whole legs of sheep or whatever animal is so common here in Spain. People like to hang them from the ceiling and show them off. Good grief, if someone gave one to me, I´d be trying to hide it as fast as I could, not put it on display!

Kurmudgeon 11-27-2003 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

Kurm, I feel the same way when I see the whole legs of sheep or whatever animal is so common here in Spain. People like to hang them from the ceiling and show them off. Good grief, if someone gave one to me, I´d be trying to hide it as fast as I could, not put it on display!

I see this sort of thing in the pet supply store; pig's "trotters" (feet), pig's ears, lamb necks, kangaroo tails, and so on.

Sevenseas 11-27-2003 09:19 AM

Quote:

Well, just some time ago one food was made from blood, that is by pouring some wheat flour into a can full of blood or something. It's so odd when I see it from the outside of omnivore culture, but when I was in it, I didn't see anything odd about it even though reason dictates that I should have. Maybe the values were too strong..

pearlofgaia 11-27-2003 12:07 PM

I have never seen kangaroo tail....

wert 11-27-2003 12:18 PM

It's not the gore that deters me, I'm not squeamish!

Astarte 11-27-2003 07:19 PM

Do people eat kangaroos, or is it just pets? I know people eat emus and ostriches, but this kangaroo thing is new to me.

I know that bit about the meat dept. In the store I sometimes go to, they keep the Boca burgers in the meat section. I like buying yves products better just because it's nearer to the produce isle.

kat 11-27-2003 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finlay View Post

Due to having the misfortune of having to eat- i had to get a job whilst at college. Happens to be at supermarket- fair enough. First job was stacking chickens- not nice. But in the training the trainer kept going on about how all the meat has a tendency to "bleed" and how we have to get tissues to go and wipe the blood up from time to time. And we can't use chemicals to clean it. She kept going on and on about the blood- I know I for one wont be touching it. What about diesases and stuff from the blood? It is all so yucky.

K

Meo 11-27-2003 11:02 PM

At one of our grocery stores, they have a whole case just for seafood. Now, anything under the water scares me enough when it's alive and perfectly fine (octupus, fish, any of that scare the daylights out of me), but when there's a 2 1/2 foot long fish staring at you, and you know it's dead, you just want to puke. Well, at least I do. :X

MisaLady 11-27-2003 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astarte View Post

Do people eat kangaroos, or is it just pets? I know people eat emus and ostriches, but this kangaroo thing is new to me.

Kangaroo is considered an exotic meat, and some people do eat it. That being said, to a lot of Australians, eating kangaroo is akin to eating rats (or so I hear).

kpickell 11-28-2003 12:45 AM

On the one hand I think it's very good that places have whole, dead, animals on display because it allows people to put a face to their food. On the other hand it causes people to become desinsitized to the source of their food. So I don't know if it's for better or worse, but I tend to think it's better

vegankittykat 11-28-2003 11:21 AM

I was wondering these past few days if less people would eat turkey for Thanksgiving if they left their heads on. I think cutting them off seems to help people "forget" they are eating what was once a beautiful, sentient animal. Makes me wonder how in the world people can stomach going to pig roasts. It's so barbaric.

sunshinemelissa 11-30-2003 04:04 PM

I remember when I was about ten years old, my uncle had a luao at his house. They roasted a whole pig that still had it's face, tail, feet and everything with an apple in his mouth. It was so discusting. I think it really impacted me to see the actual dead, roasted face of what I was eating. BLUCK!!!

Wolfie 11-30-2003 10:12 PM

I've gone in to get bones for the dogs before too but have a hard time getting past the smell. It's worst than the sight of the meat - which is pretty damn bad itself.

How anyone can buy "food" - as they call it - in a place that smells that bad and then still have an appetite to eat it is beyond me.

raindrop 12-01-2003 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankittykat View Post

I was wondering these past few days if less people would eat turkey for Thanksgiving if they left their heads on. I think cutting them off seems to help people "forget" they are eating what was once a beautiful, sentient animal. Makes me wonder how in the world people can stomach going to pig roasts. It's so barbaric.

I know that this was definitely true for me - I wouldn't eat anything with bones in it - or sea food, cause it looks the same on your plate at it did alive, unlike a hamburger.

Kept me in denial for years.

GhostUser 12-01-2003 06:53 PM

Ugh yuck! A few years ago I was watching a reality tv programme (Yeah, that was the start of the problem.. hah) It was filmed in Australia. The people got like 5 Kangaroo tails to eat.. Argh.. It made me really sick.. Even though I wasn't veggie at the time..

Yuck!

Gnarly 12-05-2003 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astarte View Post

I know my uncle does. I remember when I was younger my family would all be talking about 'rootail' soup and it was considered really good. I don't think I ever had it. I also remember one time (Before I was veg) that my cousins had a kangaroo tail, from a roo my uncle had shot, and they were roasting it in a fire. Then they scraped all the hair off and ate it, and I was like, NO WAY am I eating that. It looked so gross.

But then I have a friend who thinks eating roos is wrong because they are native to this country. I just don't get the logic there.