I hate when people eat fish or chicken and still call themselves vegetarians!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-08-2009, 01:49 PM

I know you guys have run into these kinds of people too, and frankly, their way of thinking really gets to me. They say, "Well, I cut out beef and pork, and now the only meats I eat are chicken and fish. I am still a vegetarian though." ARrgghh

The dictionary.com definition of vegetarian is as follows: a person who does not eat or does not believe in eating meat, fish, fowl, or, in some cases, any food derived from animals, as eggs or cheese, but subsists on vegetables, fruits, nuts, grain, etc.

If you eat fish or chicken, you are NOT a vegetarian, and stop claiming you are one!!!!!

It really demeans the word for people who actually don't eat any kind of meat at all, in other words, real vegetarians. I'm not trying to say, "Hey! I'm a real vegetarian, and you aren't!!" But my point is, don't be a hypocrite.

Vegetarian = no meat.

Fish = animal flesh = meat.

How can so many people be misled into thinking fish is vegetarian? GAahh...

Also, many textbooks contain the word "pesce-vegetarian" which means, a vegetarian who eats fish. This sort of thing is impossible as fish counteracts the word vegetarian. A more proper word to describe this kind of person would be a PESCETARIAN. "Pesce-vegetarian" is an oxymoron!!!

Does anybody share this bother????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes. I think we already have a gazillion threads here about it too as proof.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#3 Old 02-08-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Yes. I think we already have a gazillion threads here about it too as proof.

You're right, I just saw them right now, but I just had to get some anger out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

No problem. Half the folk here will complain if you start a new thread on a subject that's already been discussed, and the other half will complain if you bump an old thread instead of starting a new one.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#5 Old 02-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

No problem. Half the folk here will complain if you start a new thread on a subject that's already been discussed, and the other half will complain if you bump an old thread instead of starting a new one.

Yea how wierd is that I have seen people told off for starting threads that have already been discussed, then others have been told off for commenting on one about 6 months old... so which is right to do?

Yea I know someone who eats chicken and says she is vegetarian, i laughed when her mom first told me. I was like ha ha ha ha, you do know chicken is meat right? its not a vegetable, so not vegetarian. her mom looked confused and said her daughter only eats white meat. i just shook my head and walked off. the whole family is very dense, so no point in arguing.
#6 Old 02-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Half the folk here will complain if you start a new thread on a subject that's already been discussed, and the other half will complain if you bump an old thread instead of starting a new one.

But then there's also the third group of folk* who will suggest that instead of bumping threads, everyone should get into bumper cars to ferociously bump amusement park goers while shouting obscenities.

<----------------------

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#7 Old 02-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

But then there's also the third group of folk* who will suggest that instead of bumping threads, everyone should get into bumper cars to ferociously bump amusement park goers while shouting obscenities.

<----------------------

This guy on your avatar... It really is you, isn't it?
#8 Old 02-08-2009, 11:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I know how frustrating that is. And was talking to my (meat-lovin') mom about that once and mentioned that, and she went off on me for being holier-than-thou. I wasn't saying people who eat fish or chicken are bad, just that they aren't vegetarians, and saying they are makes it more confusing. Yargh.

Once I was talking to a couple people and I missed one saying that she was 'vegetarian', I only caught that she just ate fish. When she left, the other person asked me if it was hard to be a vegetarian AND not eat fish, and I point-blank said, "Uh, vegetarians don't eat fish.' He stared at me for a second and then corrected himself. That's when I realized she called herself vegetarian. I was a little embarrassed, mostly because I probably did sound holier-than-thou saying that... oops!
#9 Old 02-09-2009, 05:36 AM

I just find it annoying that everytime someone finds out I am a vegetarian they ask me if I eat fish.

I also know someone who claims to be vegetarian and eats fish and deer.
#10 Old 02-09-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hats View Post

I just find it annoying that everytime someone finds out I am a vegetarian they ask me if I eat fish.

I also know someone who claims to be vegetarian and eats fish and deer.

Deer???????????????
#11 Old 02-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I was at a bar yesterday, playing pool...and this guy (we've known him for awhile.) comes up, and after talking, we ask him where he works, and he works at a new restaurant/bar/pool hall, etc...

And he started rambling off stuff to eat there...ribs...pork...whatever, and me and my boyfriend kind of exchanged glances, and he said, "Well, she's a vegetarian, and I'm like half vegetarian..."

And then he looks at me, and starts telling me what kind of fish dishes they have....and I'm like "Um...vegetarians don't eat fish..." And then he's like "Well, **** happens."

And I'm like wtf?

But yeah, I totally understand how the OP feels. It is annoying.
#12 Old 02-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

I know. It ticks me off. Some girl on another forum was saying it was rude of me to say that pescetarains are not vegetarians (which I posted in Stupid Things Omnivores Say). And while she kept saying pesce-vegetarian, or any other stupid wording like that, I kept saying 'pescetarian'.

People just don't get it! I just want to slap them with a bunch of dictionaries and tell them to educate themselves.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#13 Old 02-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

<----------------------

So that was YOU. I suspected as much...

I was the one in the Minnie Pearl outfit. I thought the disguise would prevent me from getting kidnapped again for that Belafonte cover choir, but I guess my hairy legs gave me away... Next time Ill wear an ankle-length dress.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#14 Old 02-09-2009, 12:50 PM

it is starting to annoy me because of the things i hear from omnivores :

-you eat fish, right?

-no

-then u must be vegan

-no, vegans don't consume any animal products like eggs, dairy..

-but if u don't eat fish, that's vegan!!

-no, fish are animals and vegetarians don't eat animals so vegetarians don't eat fish!

-no, that's vegans (they're not asking me, they're telling me)

and round and round it goes...

i think for them to be so convinced, some ''vegetarian'' must have told them they eat fish... it just creates so much confusion. I'm sick of people telling me whether i'm vegan or vegetarian, as if I wouldn't know the difference!
#15 Old 02-09-2009, 03:07 PM

I have an idiot friend like this who calls herslf veggie...she eats fish...chicken and beef a few times a month.......arrggg!!
#16 Old 02-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

As long as there are Catholics and Jews and anyone else who was raised to believe that fish isn't meat, this is simply going to happen. I gave up worrying about it some time ago. There are bigger fish in the sea so to speak. This is no longer one of my primary concerns. Most cookbooks (even some vegetarian ones) treat fish differently than meat. It sucks, but we can't necessarily blame folks for this either. It's how they were raised, including myself.
#17 Old 02-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

As long as there are Catholics and Jews and anyone else who was raised to believe that fish isn't meat, this is simply going to happen. I gave up worrying about it some time ago. There are bigger fish in the sea so to speak. This is no longer one of my primary concerns. Most cookbooks (even some vegetarian ones) treat fish differently than meat. It sucks, but we can't necessarily blame folks for this either. It's how they were raised, including myself.

What I blame is the underlying attitude that not eating meat is so ****ing extreme and radical that it is difficult for people to even recognize it as a dietary category, and instead they have to water it down to meaninglessness in order to understand it.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#18 Old 02-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-anti-fur View Post

I have an idiot friend like this who calls herslf veggie...she eats fish...chicken and beef a few times a month.......arrggg!!

Ah it drives me crazy when people do that, because I think they just say it so they can feel good about themselves 'saving the environment' or 'saving the animals' because they don't eat as much meat as they used to or something
#19 Old 02-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Yes, this topic has been discussed many times, but not everyone reads all the previous discussions, so I'm going to repeat what has been said before.

First, if you do a poll of people and ask: "Are you a vegetarian?" you will get about 7 percent of the population in the US saying "yes." But if you do a poll on the same population and ask specific questions about their diet, like, "Do you ever eat fish? Poultry? Pork?" etc., and then tabulate the results for the correct meaning of vegetarian, you will get about 3 or 3.5 percent of the population. Put another way, roughly half of the people who describe themselves as "vegetarian" are using the word in a way that differs from the dictionary definition. That's just a fact of life. Perhaps, instead of becoming angry, it would be better to deal with this as a fact of life.

Second, since dictionaries published after WWII tend to say they are descriptive of language usage rather than prescriptive, then it may be only a matter of time before what is now the non-standard usage of the word finds itself included in the dictionary as an accepted usage. I don't see any way of controlling or stopping this from happening. And words like pesco-vegetarian and pollo-vegetarian are already finding themselves included in some dictionaries.

Third, I think the comments about the word "meat" are off-base, mostly because they assume that the word "meat" has only one meaning. It does not; it has multiple meanings. If you look it up the word "meat" in Webster's On-Line dictionary--which is not even an unabridged dictionary--it has five different numbered definitions for "meat," with a number of lettered subdivisions, so eight if you include the letters. And even the lettered subdivisions could be further divided. So there are at least eight different meanings of the word "meat," possibly more.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/meat

The word "meat" can be used, among many other meanings, to mean the flesh of mammals. See 2a: " also : flesh of a mammal as opposed to fowl or fish." The formulations of the early vegetarian societies in Britain in the latter half of the 19th century said vegetarians abstained from "flesh, fish and fowl." "Flesh" was used to mean the flesh of a mammal. Hence the need to include "fish and fowl." "Flesh" in this sense was used as synonymous with "meat," which again was used to refer to the flesh of a mammal.

This usage of the terms "flesh" and "meat" approximates the Catholic usage of the terms when they talk about the abstinence from eating "meat" on Fridays. They are referring to the "meat" of mammals and birds, i.e., warm-blooded animals.

"Meat diet comprises the flesh, blood, or marrow of such animals and birds as constitute flesh meat according to the appreciation of intelligent and law-abiding Christians. For this reason the use of fish, vegetables, mollusks, crabs, turtles, frogs, and such-like cold-blooded creatures is not at variance with the law of abstinence. Amphibians are relegated to the category whereunto they bear most striking resemblance. This classification can scarcely preclude all doubt regarding viands prohibited by the law of abstinence. Local usage, together with the practice of intelligent and conscientious Christians, generally holds a key for the solution of mooted points in such matters, otherwise the decision rests with ecclesiastical authority."

http://www.catholicity.com/encyclope...bstinence.html

It is basically a misunderstanding of the usage of the word "meat" to suggest that Catholics are using it in the same sense (when they talk about Friday abstinence) as are vegetarians when they talk about abstaining from eating meat.
#20 Old 02-09-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:

haha that's funny. i'm kinda new here, so that's good to know!
#21 Old 02-09-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockindancer86 View Post

Yeah, I know how frustrating that is. And was talking to my (meat-lovin') mom about that once and mentioned that, and she went off on me for being holier-than-thou. I wasn't saying people who eat fish or chicken are bad, just that they aren't vegetarians, and saying they are makes it more confusing. Yargh.

Once I was talking to a couple people and I missed one saying that she was 'vegetarian', I only caught that she just ate fish. When she left, the other person asked me if it was hard to be a vegetarian AND not eat fish, and I point-blank said, "Uh, vegetarians don't eat fish.' He stared at me for a second and then corrected himself. That's when I realized she called herself vegetarian. I was a little embarrassed, mostly because I probably did sound holier-than-thou saying that... oops!

I think you were in the right, all you did was state a fact. Vegetarians don't eat fish. Point blank.
#22 Old 02-09-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberinkula View Post

Ah it drives me crazy when people do that, because I think they just say it so they can feel good about themselves 'saving the environment' or 'saving the animals' because they don't eat as much meat as they used to or something

I think there's a word for that... FLEXITARIAN.
#23 Old 02-09-2009, 11:27 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberinkula View Post

they say that because that is what they are told... i have come across numerous books that say if you want to help the enviroment and be 'green' cut down your meat servings to 1 or 2 a week.

i always see that and wonder wth is green in meat... lol
#24 Old 02-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by entre_mundos View Post

Flexitarian! I'm going to say that to people like that now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post

they say that because that is what they are told... i have come across numerous books that say if you want to help the enviroment and be 'green' cut down your meat servings to 1 or 2 a week.

I guess I kinda see how it's helping the environment, but why not just stop eating meat completely or not call themselves a vegetarian?! Like, someone can't be vegetarian and eat meat!!

That's the way I see it, anyway
#25 Old 02-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by entre_mundos View Post

Actually the word is omnivore.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#26 Old 02-10-2009, 01:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well, they say that because someone who cuts down his meat intake from maybe 7 to 1 or 2 servings a week is in fact cutting down his diet-related environmental impact.

Not to defend or condone omnivorism, let alone join in the definitions debate.

But telling people, either you do something [e. g. abstain from meat/dairy/eggs] 100% or better not at all, will not encourage them to do more. If anything, it sends the message that their contribution will not be accepted, as it is not [perhaps just not yet] complete. Every step helps, especially when were talking about the environmental impact.
#27 Old 02-10-2009, 01:39 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well, rotting meat goes kind of green after a while. Green and black, in fact.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#28 Old 02-11-2009, 04:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Well, rotting meat goes kind of green after a while. Green and black, in fact.

#29 Old 02-11-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganveg View Post

x2
#30 Old 02-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Actually the word is omnivore.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page