Vitamin pills/suplements - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Do you take vitamin pills?
Yes 0 0%
No, but I'm interested in taking them and might start to 0 0%
No, but I used to 0 0%
No, I believe you don't need to take them to be healthy 0 0%
No, I don't know whether I should or not! 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I've now been vegetarian for around 11 months with no ill health effects. I don't know how healthy I am, but I haven't had any big illness nor do I feel any worse health wise than I did when I ate meat. I don't eat meat right now but I do sometimes still eat milk/eggs/cheese etc.

I'm 14 years old and people keep suggesting to me that I should be taking vitamin pills, because as a teenage vegetarian it's hard for me to get everything I need. Of course, I've been shrugging that off because I'm fine, and I've read that you don't need to take supplements, especially if you're still eating dairy products.

I eat a pretty balanced diet and we try to eat healthily, although, being a teenager, I admit to sometimes eating some junk

Although I have it in my head that I do NOT need vitamin pills, I'm getting a little unsure now and just want to ask other people...

Do you take vitamin pills? Do you think it would be beneficial for me or unnecessary?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-21-2009, 11:42 AM

My family was very big on taking vitamins so I've taken them all my life. A balanced diet is the best thing but a good multiple vitamin will give you that extra insurance just in case you aren't getting enough of something.
#3 Old 01-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Beginner

I agree. There's a lot of controversy about vitamins, but I think that as long as you are using a vitamin that doesn't contain animal products (like fish oil, etc.) and the vitamins seem to be doing some noticeable good, they can't hurt.

I,for one, take a daily energy vitamin pill which contains all my B vitamins (because I know I'm not getting enough in my diet). I always feel more exuberant and energized on the days I remember to take it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it is a good idea to take a vitamin as it is really hard to eat the right foods all the time. I know I really eat poorly a lot of the time just because it is easier sometimes to eat "junk food." We take VegLife vegan one multiple which we get at the health food store.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#5 Old 01-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

It would be a good idea to get some bloodwork done next time you go in for a checkup, then you'll know for sure. Tell them you are a vegetarian and concerned about your nutrient levels and they'll run all sorts of tests. Even taking a good multi I was very close to the "low" cutoff for iron and my doctor had me start taking a separate iron supplement as well.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#6 Old 01-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

See I am the opposite. I hate the thought of taking something that I don't need.... so unless I find out from a blood test that I'm not getting enough of something I won't take a supplement. But I guess thats just my personal choice, as I believe that if you eat healthy you should be getting everything you need. By taking a vitamin I almost feel as if I would be giving myself the chance to eat unhealthily.

The only exception to this is B12 for vegans, I am working towards veganism and as soon as I make the full transition I will be investigating B12.

If you are worried I agree with Vigilant - go see a doctor and ask for a full blood work up. That way you can see what you are low on if anything. Then once you know you can either take a supplement for that thing or try and increase it in your diet. Whichever you prefer!
#7 Old 01-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I take B12 as I'm vegan (you don't need to take this if you still eat some animal products) but that's it, I try and eat the right foods for everything else. I don't know if I always succeed at getting all my right nutrients every day, but at least I'm giving it some thought and I eat more healthily and probably eat more nutrients than I would if I was an omni. Just because you don't exclude anything from your diet doesn't mean you're automatically consuming all the nutrients you need.

Having said that, I get the impression that people in other countries are bigger on vitamin pills than here in Britain, I don't think multivitamins and such are so common here.
#8 Old 01-22-2009, 11:39 PM

No not really but I used to...My Guy is really worried about me getting the right vitamins from food ect...and he got me some Veggie Vitamins from GNC and they had this horrible smell....and I tried to take them for the longest time...and they made me feel worse so I stopped.

I have anemia so I take an iron pill...sometimes...when I remember...lol

peace love and happiness

jenn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page