Hypocrites - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Beginner

I've met a few girls this year that are/were vegetarians. One of these girls had been one previously but being around all of us, she decided to revert back. She told me that she couldn't be one before because she loved cheeseburgers too much. One day she was going to eat something with marshmallow in it and before she took a bite out of it I tried to stop her. She was like I DON'T CARE >:O. She's really obnoxious as well. We drove by KFC once and she starts screaming "KENTUCKY FRIED CRUELTY!!! OMG." She told all of us that she was going to start a PETA club at our school. Never happened.

One of her friends is also a vegetarian. One day I heard her telling someone how much she loves pudding. She also couldn't come to this meeting once because she had to go work a PIG ROAST. She's a part of the agriculture thing at school. She has a pig at her house too?! And she went to a steak house for her birthday. What could you possibly want there?!?! Gah.

At a banquet, all these "vegetarian" girls got the salad with meat in it but sat there and picked it out.

What good are you even doing in this world if you act like that? And don't even care about it.

In my opinion, they shouldn't even advertise themselves as vegetarians because they don't seem to be doing anything for the cause. They should just say, Oh I don't like/eat meat. Don't act like you're amazing.

Sorry if I offended anyone. It's just ridiculous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

it's people like that that give the wrong impression of the rest of us, it really annoys me. No wonder so many people are so ignorant when there are people behaving like this. I think these girls are quite young though? maybe they'll grow out of it. I have an aunt who says she's vegetarian and she'll go in a restaurant and order fish or chicken, and than people look at ME like I'M the funny one for ordering something that's actually vegetarian, and they're like, 'yeah but she can eat chicken so why can't you' and I'm like SHE can eat chicken because SHE isn't vegetarian.

So yeah I get what you're saying!
#3 Old 01-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Beginner

yeah, they're young. I'm actually a junior in high school.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I know a girl like that too, she eats things with gelatin and such and when I told her the difference she said "STOP TELLING ME WHAT TO EAT OMG IM TIRED OF PEOPLE TELLING ME WHATS VEGETARIAN AND WHATS NOT". The difference is that she's 21 >.>

But highschool was full of vegetarians who ate chicken nuggets and such, don't worry, most of them will grow out of it, maybe you could sit down with them and explain how picking the meat out of their food is just as bad as eating it? (in that they paid for and thereby caused a demand for meat?)
#5 Old 01-19-2009, 01:30 PM

Even at that age people should know better, with a child I would understand but everyone knows what they should and should not do in terms of vegetarianism. And if they don't the most important thing to do is ask questions to be better informed.
#6 Old 01-20-2009, 12:20 AM

Some vegetarians aren't very strict. The diets they follow may be mostly for their health, not their love for animals. I wouldn't let it bother you much unless they are actually eating meat and claiming to be vegetarian. However stupid they may act.
#7 Old 01-20-2009, 12:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I have two friends that are "vegetarian" but don't mind eating gelatin. I've pointed it out to them, and they say, 'Oh, I guess I just don't eat meat then." so at least they can admit they aren't really veg. It's just sad because one of them used to be more strict, then started eating gelatin again.
#8 Old 01-20-2009, 06:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I didn't even know pudding was a problem? But I don't even eat it...so yeah.
#9 Old 01-20-2009, 06:24 AM
Banned

Sounds to me like your friends are VUGs: Vegetarian Until Graduation.

They like to call themselves vegetarian because its cool, or edgy or makes them feel independent from their parents or because they read about their favourite movie star being a veg and more. In short, they like to talk about being vegetarian but they don't like to be vegetarian as that takes real commitment and for them to think about something other than themselves. This is just a passing phase they are going through and in a few months or years they'll go back to eating meat or following whatever new and trendy self-absorbed idea that gets stuck in their heads. They really aren't worth bothering with.

Feel free to call them 'VUG's and laugh at them, though.
#10 Old 01-20-2009, 06:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunVamp View Post

I didn't even know pudding was a problem? But I don't even eat it...so yeah.

It's not, especially if you're lacto/ovo. I love pudding. I wish Jello pudding set up with non-dairy milks, or that soy puddings didn't cost $4 for 4 little tiny cups. The OP may be thinking of Jello Gelatin.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#11 Old 01-20-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I wish Jello pudding set up with non-dairy milks

I know the package says not to use non-dairy milk but I've used soy, almond, and rice milk and they've all worked.
#12 Old 01-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

It's not, especially if you're lacto/ovo. I love pudding. I wish Jello pudding set up with non-dairy milks, or that soy puddings didn't cost $4 for 4 little tiny cups. The OP may be thinking of Jello Gelatin.

Jello brand pudding has gelatin in it. I've checked. I could be thinking of something else though.
#13 Old 01-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

My wife makes pudding with silken tofu and carob powder. It's good stuff!

http://www.ourveggiekitchen.com
#14 Old 01-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Would a bit more charity towards one's colleagues be such a bad thing?

Does going to a pig roast to, say, sell sodas make you not veg? Is being a member of the Ag club worse than actually eating the milk and eggs? What about if you go because you're interested in organic farming of plants? I know I go to steakhouses fairly often when I'm on the road, as we've got some here where I can reliably get a good potato bar, lots of veggies, and a good salad bar. It's someplace I can conveniently get a vegan meal (or at least close) in the land of No Such Thing As A Veg Restaurant. Yeah, you've got to watch out they don't put ham in the beans and such, but some places it's quite workable.

I don't know the people you're talking about, perhaps they are total posers. Definitely I get being annoyed at people who claim to be veg but eat meat. There comes a point though that we have to recognize that people who are mostly veg are mostly with us. Why do they attract so much more anger than those who make no effort at all?

It sometimes seems to me like a schism between similar religious groups, where people are at each other's throats over what appear to be minor points of doctrine.
#15 Old 01-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larissa View Post

I have two friends that are "vegetarian" but don't mind eating gelatin. I've pointed it out to them, and they say, 'Oh, I guess I just don't eat meat then." so at least they can admit they aren't really veg. It's just sad because one of them used to be more strict, then started eating gelatin again.

Gelatin is a product from a butchered animal and therefore isn't vegetarian. When you think about it, it's quite gross... made from animal parts which would make quite a few meat-eaters gag. However, it is a byproduct of the meat industry- meaning that animals at least are not killed primarily to produce gelatin. So presumably someone who eats no other "meat" besides that is still avoiding a huge amount of harm.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#16 Old 01-20-2009, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bios View Post

I don't know the people you're talking about, perhaps they are total posers. Definitely I get being annoyed at people who claim to be veg but eat meat. There comes a point though that we have to recognize that people who are mostly veg are mostly with us. Why do they attract so much more anger than those who make no effort at all?

Heh at a lunch for my grandma's birthday, one of her friends said she was a vegetarian. Then she went and ate a salmon sandwich and little tarts which almost definitely had gelatin in them. My grandad said to me "She's not a real vegetarian is she?" It was nice that he knew that

I think people get annoyed at those who say they're vegetarian when they're not, it's not because they eat fish or chicken or whatever. It just means that omnis give real vegetarians fish to eat, then it's all awkward and annoying.
#17 Old 01-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Beginner

People like them are just doing it because it has somewhat became a "trend" to be vegetarian nowerdays.

I had a bunch of friends last year who caught up on the "omggzzzz vegetarian4lyfe" trend, this year they are back to eating cheese burgers and some even wearing fur.

It really pisses me off hahha -.-
#18 Old 01-21-2009, 02:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Ah. Well, I don't eat jello. lol

But I do like banana pudding.
#19 Old 01-21-2009, 02:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerise View Post

Jello brand pudding has gelatin in it. I've checked. I could be thinking of something else though.

Last time I made JELLO pudding it didn`t contain gelatin. I also checked. Am I crazy?
#20 Old 01-21-2009, 07:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiseki View Post

Last time I made JELLO pudding it didn`t contain gelatin. I also checked. Am I crazy?

Nope. I use instant Jello pudding on a fairly regular basis in cookies (makes them stay chewy) and the pudding mix is vegan. See here: http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVega...ategory=Baking

And thanks Dana, I'll have to try it again. I've gotten the cooked one to set up occasionally but it's inconsistent.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#21 Old 01-23-2009, 01:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow...maybe I can actually fix all that leftover pudding/gelatin I have in the cupboard. *goes to check ingredients*
#22 Old 01-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunVamp View Post

Ah. Well, I don't eat jello. lol

But I do like banana pudding.

ohmigawd.. i never had banana pudding til this thanksgiving and i will admit I love it... I usually hate bananas

this pudding was made in a from scratch way where no animals were harmed in the making by the way
#23 Old 01-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Beginner

Wait.. it may be that the instant mix doesn't contain gelatin. but those little snack packs you can buy in the dairy/yogurt section do. it may not be jell-o brand.
#24 Old 01-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I overheard two girls the other day. One was talking about how she's vegetarian. I got excited...and then I heard her say, "well except for chicken". They both thought this was quite funny and laughed about it.
#25 Old 01-23-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DgyJff View Post

I overheard two girls the other day. One was talking about how she's vegetarian. I got excited...and then I heard her say, "well except for chicken". They both thought this was quite funny and laughed about it.

Yeah My friends gal pal is like this...he is veggie and she claims to be veggie but she eats chicken and fish and sometimes beef...puhleez!!

peace love and good wishes
#26 Old 01-24-2009, 11:51 AM

[embarrassed smiley] What's "pudding" exactly? In the UK we often call desserts pudding - especially if they're hot. Is "pudding" in the US what we'd call "blancmange" (a sort of milk jelly type thing)?

Thanks!

Oh - and recently someone made me a special marshmallow-free "rocky road" because I'm vegetarian. It was really nice of him, but the response of my fellow "vegetarian" was that she wished I hadn't mentioned it as she operates a don't-ask-don't-tell policy on hidden ingredients
#27 Old 01-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockingpink View Post

[embarrassed smiley] What's "pudding" exactly? In the UK we often call desserts pudding - especially if they're hot. Is "pudding" in the US what we'd call "blancmange" (a sort of milk jelly type thing)?

Thanks!

Oh - and recently someone made me a special marshmallow-free "rocky road" because I'm vegetarian. It was really nice of him, but the response of my fellow "vegetarian" was that she wished I hadn't mentioned it as she operates a don't-ask-don't-tell policy on hidden ingredients

I guess you could call pudding that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pudding

That is sad. The don't ask don't tell thing. I know some people like that but they say they are by no means vegetarian.
#28 Old 01-24-2009, 12:37 PM

you actually they have pudding the ones you make at home.. the jello-o brand is vegan!!

I just add soymilk. its the instant bananna cream.. thats the only one id really buy

but its yummy
#29 Old 01-28-2009, 02:35 PM

I have a friend that claimed to be a vegetarian but ate chicken. I told her straight up that she cant technically be a vegetarian and eat chicken and she got all mad and said her mom did it and she was sick of being "preached" to. It was pretty ugly but I mean seriously? a vegetarian that eats chicken? wth.
#30 Old 01-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockingpink View Post

Thanks!

That blancmange (on its wiki page) looks more like custard. American pudding is not firm like that and can't be molded. (Though the wikipedia article on pudding makes it look like pudding is firm).

Google image search yielded these that are consistent with my understanding of pudding: http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:...07/pudding.jpg, http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:...7/pudding2.jpg

I went to England last summer, and was very confused when a waitress asked me if I wanted "puds."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page