Baconnaise - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-18-2009, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I read about this in Geek magazine, and it said it was meat free, and I didn't believe it. Apparently it is. Not milk and egg free, unfortunately...but wow...it is meat free.

Now if they could just sell this idea to the makers of Veganaise we'd be in business!

http://www.baconnaise.com/

Click on "products" and the Baconnaise tab to find the information about it, including the ingredients.

I am curious to know if anybody here has tried it. I try my best to avoid dairy and eggs, but man, this is the most tempting product I've seen so far.

EDIT the recipes tab also has some brilliant ideas:

The “No-B-L-T”

* Lettuce

* Tomato

* Baconnaise™

* White bread, preferably toasted

Man, I've missed BLTs.....Why do they have to use eggs and milk in this??

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

The Jalapeno bacon salt looks nice too.

#3 Old 01-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry but eewwww. Was never a fan of bacon. Or any pig product for that matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I think this sounds revolting!! haha
#5 Old 01-18-2009, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calhoun07 View Post

I am curious to know if anybody here has tried it. I try my best to avoid dairy and eggs, but man, this is the most tempting product I've seen so far.

Man, I've missed BLTs.....Why do they have to use eggs and milk in this??

Haven't tried it, as I'm vegan, but I thought I'd mention a new product called BACON-SALT which I just tried at Tofu-n-Sprouts house this week. It's AMAZINGLY bacon-like and yet all vegetarian - several varities are even vegan.

Mix some with Vegenaise and you'd totally have your own "Baconnaise".

T-n-S made homefried potatoes this morning with some Bacon-Salt and they were incredible!
#6 Old 01-18-2009, 11:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, I'm getting myself some of this! (The baconnaise, mainly, but I'm curious about

those bacon salts.) It sounds really good. Too good to be true since it's vegetarian.

Just looking at the site makes my mouth water.

Edit:

I love mayo, so it was hard when my doctor said I had to cut it out. I did until a couple

weeks ago when I found a low fat kind with only 15 calories!

(I knew they made it but it didn't occur to me to go buy some. My family shops at outlet grocery stores where stuff is there one week and gone the next. They don't stay very consistent.)

So bacconaise would probably be a treat for me since it does have a lot of calories.

Though 5 dollars is a lot for just one jar and I don't know if I'll even like it or not.

I think I'll try the bacon salt stuff first, then move onto the bacconaise.
#7 Old 01-18-2009, 11:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane View Post

I think this sounds revolting!! haha

Yes..
#8 Old 01-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

To those who think it's disgusting...then don't post here! It's kind of like threadcrapping, I think.

I think it could be decent as a sandwich spread, for sure. I can't say I was a big bacon eater when I did eat meat (I actually hardly ever had it...just maybe once a year when I'd go to visit my mom and she'd make it for breakfast) but it wasn't a taste issue. But I have tried a few of the "fakin'" bacon products and you want to talk about revolting?

I sure did like me some bacon cheeseburgers back in the day, so if I could get some of this stuff and spread it on a bun with my veggie burger, I think it would be delicious.

And I am digging the idea of getting the salt and adding it to veganaise. It might not be exactly the same, but at least I wouldn't have to compromise in eating it.

I did look for this at a couple Hy-Vee's today, since they listed that as a store where they carry it, but no luck.

#9 Old 01-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm lacto-ovo vegetarian so I fill my BLT cravings with smoked cheese, lettuce and tomato sandwiches. I'd definitely try this.

Adding liquid smoke and possibly salt to vegannaise might also work.
#10 Old 01-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm lacto-ovo vegetarian so I fill my BLT cravings with smoked cheese, lettuce and tomato sandwiches. I'd definitely try this.

Adding liquid smoke and possibly salt to vegannaise might also work.

Oh, and on a somewhat related note, when my friends go out for chicken wings, I get a veggie burger with wing sauce on the side to pour on it. It satisfies my craving.
#11 Old 01-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Haven't tried it, as I'm vegan, but I thought I'd mention a new product called BACON-SALT which I just tried at Tofu-n-Sprouts house this week. It's AMAZINGLY bacon-like and yet all vegetarian - several varities are even vegan.

Mix some with Vegenaise and you'd totally have your own "Baconnaise".

T-n-S made homefried potatoes this morning with some Bacon-Salt and they were incredible!

I've been seeing the ad for bacon salt on VB. It sounds great. I may have to look into getting some to add a lil' sumpin' sumpin' to stuff.
#12 Old 01-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

ergh, baconnaise, in a non-vegetarian form, would be one of the most fatty, unhealthy foods possible, and probably one of the most unpleasant looking too....that being said, i've never been a fan of mayonnaise and have never eaten a BLT....so maybe i just can't relate.
#13 Old 01-20-2009, 04:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know...I kind of steer clear of anything that says "bacon" or "mayonnaise" in the title. :P
#14 Old 01-20-2009, 06:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Calhoun- Why not just make a BLT? Tempeh bacon, lettuce, tomatoes, and veganaise. It's delicious! And actually not that bad for you. With a few avacado slices and some sprouts it's heaven on a sandwich... or bagel, or pita.

Putting bacon flavor in mayo is creepy. Reminds me of peanut butter and jelly in the same jar. Just gross and weird.
#15 Old 01-20-2009, 07:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I should have guessed this would be from the makers of Bacon Salt. I actually bought a set of Bacon Salts for my bf for Christmas last year. They're vegetarian, one is vegan, though they all have MSG and I can't eat MSG so... bacon salt fail. I bet he'd love Baconnaise too. Maybe for his bday...

.. oh ew, they have bacon flavored lip balm.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#16 Old 01-20-2009, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiejones View Post

ergh, baconnaise, in a non-vegetarian form, would be one of the most fatty, unhealthy foods possible, and probably one of the most unpleasant looking too....that being said, i've never been a fan of mayonnaise and have never eaten a BLT....so maybe i just can't relate.

The thread is about baconnaise in a vegetarian form not a non-veggie form.

#17 Old 01-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

.. oh ew, they have bacon flavored lip balm.

#18 Old 01-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

oh ew, they have bacon flavored lip balm.

They made that for Sarah Palin.

#19 Old 01-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybaritik View Post

The thread is about baconnaise in a vegetarian form not a non-veggie form.

i know that, but "real" baconnaise made from actual bacon and actual mayonnaise is the mental image that sprang into my head when i read "baconnaise" as i'm sure it did for many people since its a term comprised of two typically animal-derived products.
#20 Old 01-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I thought baconnaise sounded like the nastiest thing ever.

Til I saw the part about bacon lip balm.

#21 Old 01-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Beginner

What is the fascination with bacon? Even when I was an omni, I just didn't get it. I mean, there were certain circumstances under which bacon kind of worked, but truth be told, I never thought the world would come to a screeching halt if all the bacon in the world suddenly vanished. To be honest, after hearing about how awesome it was all my young vege life, when I finally tried it I was kind of underwhelmed.

But then again, I guess I felt that way about every meat I tried...steak, hot dogs, hamburgers...

Whatever. In any case, bacon is not special enough to deserve its own lip balm, that's for damn sure.
#22 Old 01-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

wow..bacon flavored lip balm...

And people think I'm weird for having mint flavored lip balm....
#23 Old 01-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

Calhoun- Why not just make a BLT? Tempeh bacon, lettuce, tomatoes, and veganaise. It's delicious!

It sounds pretty good. I don't really see tempeh in stores I shop at, let alone tempeh bacon. Is it flavored to taste like bacon? Or does it need additional flavoring?

#24 Old 01-22-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegchica13 View Post

Sorry but eewwww. Was never a fan of bacon. Or any pig product for that matter.

me either

Peace Love and Happiness

Jenn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page