The most hated Excuse EVER - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

For myself it is...

'I don't like killings and eating animals, I just try not to think about it when I eat Meat'

My friend and where talking about it and he said that, I have had tons of people who said that. I want to scream in there Face so loud the car alarms would go off.

'WHAT THE HELL, when you eat chicken for dinner, you think this is a good Dinner, Obviously you enjoy eating them, which means you don't care that they where abused and then killed do you?'.

That is my head response my actually words are

'Oh okay'

What do you guys think of that? I think it is the stupidest thing to say...

^Cool story, bro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's largely what omni's think. Unfortunately, although I don't remember ever expressing that belief, I'm sure that's how I thought when I was one. The agribusiness industry makes it pretty easy by selling "beef" instead of "dead cow carcass" and "venison" instead of "dead deer carcass", etc. (Not that I blame the industry for my own choices, but it's a factor in why meat-eating is so easy for most, I think).
#3 Old 01-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Beginner

I don't like it either. Someone saying that they don't think about it doesn't mean that the animal didn't suffer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-09-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reineregina View Post

I don't like it either. Someone saying that they don't think about it doesn't mean that the animal didn't suffer.

exactly

Peace Love and Happiness

Jenn
#5 Old 01-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Veggie Regular

no doubt.. you're right on that one , Pup.

infact I'm pretty sure that if everyone was to kill the animal themselves in order to have meat, then there would be many more vegetarians.

But then there are some people who love hunting and shooting real animals just for sport. One of my uncles is one of them. Sometimes i feel like shooting him in the leg just so he can feel the pain that those animals feel.
#6 Old 01-10-2009, 02:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I dunno, I think the excuse I hate the most is "because it tastes good!"

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#7 Old 01-10-2009, 07:46 AM

it drives me crazy too. I come from a family of hunters, and while I don't participate at least they have respect for the animal, try to minimize suffering, and know exactly what it takes to have meat for dinner. Then there are the imbeciles that think their meat comes from the styrofoam tree. I don't think anyone should be able to eat meat until they are willing to get it themselves. I know what it takes, and I know that I don't want to. (although if ever stuck on a deserted island I certainly know what to do to survive, not a bad life skill for anyone to have)

I honestly think the meat industry is as bad as it is because people keep themselves ignorant. I just can't imagine a 200 years ago when most people kept their feed animals themselves that they treated them so cruelly. They still might have eaten them, but they weren't as cruel and unaware of the suffering. Its the factory that has truly brought the most horrors to eating meat.
#8 Old 01-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie-troll View Post

I don't think anyone should be able to eat meat until they are willing to get it themselves.

Why would the ability to slaughter animals by oneself justify it?

Quote:
I honestly think the meat industry is as bad as it is because people keep themselves ignorant. I just can't imagine a 200 years ago when most people kept their feed animals themselves that they treated them so cruelly. They still might have eaten them, but they weren't as cruel and unaware of the suffering. Its the factory that has truly brought the most horrors to eating meat.

Well, it's plausible that the treatment was less horrible than on factory farms, but that's not much of an accomplishment or surprise, given that the only way to go from factory farming is up.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#9 Old 01-10-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Yup, me too.

Big deal, you're satisfying your tastebuds. That's no excuse for suffering.
#10 Old 01-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I get so angry when I hear that...

"It tastes Good"

So you are killing animals and making them suffer so you can enjoy there flesh?

That is basically what they are saying but in a less brutal way.

^Cool story, bro
#11 Old 01-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh man yes, I agree! I'm glad people feel that their taste buds are so worthy that the death of a being means nothing compared to their satisfaction.
#12 Old 01-10-2009, 11:48 AM
Banned

I would have to say "it taste good" is the worse one for me. Especially when it's "I know the animals suffer but I don't care, it still tastes good!"
#13 Old 01-10-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorzelGummidge View Post

I would have to say "it taste good" is the worse one for me. Especially when it's "I know the animals suffer but I don't care, it still tastes good!"

I agree. People who say they try not to think about it frustrate me, sure, but i can empathize with them more. I think every omni-turned-vegetarian can remember a time (not too long ago for me) when he used to care about animals but when he sat down to eat meat didn't think about where his dinner is coming from, avoided making the connection with living beings,etc..(which as someone said is made easier by our society and the meat industry.I see the ham being sold at my supermarket has a happy dancing pig on it for goodness snake!! )

Then, one day, you realize u don't want to be a hypocrit anymore and do something about it!

And it feels much better!

Maybe i'm just being too optimistic but i'd like to believe there's still hope for these people yet versus the '' animals exist so we can 'use' them, they're stupid, who cares anyway'' group which infuriates me and is sadly a too common idea.
#14 Old 01-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate the "It tastes good!" excuse the most, I got a friend of mine to watch Earthlings, it really affected her and she gave up meat for a week, but then started eating it "because it tastes too good." I guess for some reason people who decided to go vegetarian or vegan can keep mindful of where their food comes from, while others don't have the same mindfulness, and don't want to because they are way too attached to foods they like.

Although for the "I don't care" or for the people who actually revel in animal cruelty, I don't have a lot of hope for >.>
#15 Old 01-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I've actually gotten this one:

"Well I didn't kill it!"

"With confidence, you have won before you have started" - Marcus Garvey
#16 Old 01-10-2009, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkwolf View Post

I've actually gotten this one:

"Well I didn't kill it!"

I got that once too You might as well have, your eating it, supporting the killing of it.

^Cool story, bro
#17 Old 01-11-2009, 06:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreestylePup View Post

'I don't like killings and eating animals, I just try not to think about it when I eat Meat'

Suggested response:

Well you should think about it, cause just a short time before you ate that tasty piece of meat, it was part of a living animal about to face a horrific, agonising death.
#18 Old 01-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licence View Post

Suggested response:

Well you should think about it, cause just a short time before you ate that tasty piece of meat, it was part of a living animal about to face a horrific, agonising death.

Good Response.

^Cool story, bro
#19 Old 01-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthy View Post

Yup, me too.

Big deal, you're satisfying your tastebuds. That's no excuse for suffering.

I agree. Especially since I've found that vegetarian food tastes even BETTER, for the most part.
#20 Old 01-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Beginner

I can't stand when people say:

"Omg, I could never be vegetarian! I love MY meat."

It's so cliché and overused, sounds like it's right out of some beef or fast food commercial. But there you go... the masses just go along with it and swallow, regurgitate... repeat...

It also amazes me how most people are so conditioned to disconnect the ''food'' from the animal even when it's in their face... like a previous poster who mentioned the pig cartoon on ham packages, or BBQ restaurants with chicken characters everywhere, etc. Or when people make the sounds of the animals right before they dig in: ''Bok bok bawwwwk! Mmm, BBQ chicken!'' It's like they know it's a dead animal, they know it once made sounds for crying out loud, yet they disconnect from all that to bite into carcass. Another way is by naming certain animals in their cooked or food-ready form a different name, as someone else mentioned here. No one says ''Come over for dinner, I'm making breaded baby cow flesh, pig bum, and ground cow leg ravioli!'' Another way to disconnect from living animals and not feel guilty, IMO. A rose by any other name, people...
#21 Old 01-12-2009, 06:19 AM
Veggie Regular

"i couldn't do it" have you ever tried? -.- "no, but i KNOW i couldn't" -.-

"then why has god created them?" certainly not to suffer cause of your silly "reasons" -.-

"what should i eat then?" carrot, of course, there is no other meal than carrots.

"but i NEED meat" how come i don't? -.- "i don't know, you're weird" -.-

"we are created as omnivores"
#22 Old 01-12-2009, 07:19 AM
Banned

Its sad to say but most people are too self absorbed to think about things like animal welfare. They'll never admit to not caring about anything other then themselves and instead use cliche'd excuses like those used in this thread. They don't actually mean anything other than 'I reallly don't care about those things as if I did I'd have to change my lifestyle and that is something I simply am not going to do'. And when these people encounter people like vegetarians who are willing to change their lifestyles for the betterment of others it completely throws them off which in turn quite often generates differing levels of hostility against vegetarianism or defenisiveness of their self absorbtion.

So these excuses are really just words and not the real reasons why they've rejected vegetarianism.
#23 Old 01-12-2009, 02:01 PM

This might be kind of a weird first post, but I have an anecdote which I think perfectly summarizes the mindset of most meat-eaters.

My older cousin is a bit of an outdoorsman. He spends pretty much all of his free time hunting, trapping or fishing. A few months ago I was at my aunt's place, and he was telling us stories of recent hunting expeditions. Hunting deer and bear with a bow and arrow, trapping small game, etc. and of course, the cleaning that went along with it.

I am the only vegetarian in my family, and I was the only person who was not disgusted by his stories. My entire family, after enjoying their chicken, beef, veal, lamb, or whatever they were eating that night, were all appalled at these stories. They were all sour and squeamish faces.

In my personal opinion, my cousin is the only one I have any respect for. He sees the death that is a necessary part of his diet, and he does not shy away. While I might not agree with his decision, I can at least respect his fortitude. The rest of my family, on the other hand, shies away from the reality which props up their lifestyle, but does not shy away from the lifestyle itself.
#24 Old 01-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licence View Post

Suggested response:

I like that! It is so very true.

What really bothers me though are the people that are picky about their meat resembling it's former self. An example of that is someone that just "loves chicken" but refuses to eat it if they see it as the whole bird (carcass) because it's "gross". They just don't like "thinking of it that way". I just want to tell them "you should think about it, because that's what your precious dinner is, dead".

That drives me crazy.

I do not understand/What it is I've done wrong/Full of holes/Check for pulse/Blink your eyes/One for yes/Two for no/I have no idea what I am talking about/I am trapped in this body and can't get out-Radiohead
#25 Old 01-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLashedVeg View Post

I can't stand when people say:

"Omg, I could never be vegetarian! I love MY meat."

I hear this one all the time. I dont even have to say anything, I'll just sit there eating my meal, and as soon as someone realizes there is no meat on my plate it starts.

"Oh, are you vegetarian?"

Me: "Yep." *eating food*

"wow, for how long?"

Me: "since july." *eat more food, try and change conversation topic*

"wow, so what do you eat? where do you get your protein?" *shocked face*

Me: "vegetables, pastas, faux meats... everything but dead animal carcass. and I get plenty of protein."

"I could never be vegetarian! I LOVE my meat."

Me: "Ah ok." *keep eating*

I dont understand why people feel the need to tell me this? Or they say how they never eat veggies, only meat... honestly, do you think I, a vegetarian, truly cares that the only thing you can stuff in your gob is rotting carcasses?

I sometimes elaborate and tell them how a yr and half ago I never ate veggies either, I was a meat, cheese, bread type of girl. But people change. A year and a half ago, I wouldnt have eaten as many veggies in a month as I eat now in a few days. I like the transformation.
#26 Old 01-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Beginner

i HATE when they say "i couldnt survive without meat.

Obviously you can ive been doing it for 8 years -_-'

Makes me really angry hahaha
#27 Old 01-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate that excuse too ("I don't think about it.")

"I like meat too much to give it up" and "I just don't care about the cruelty" are terrible things to say, but at least the omni is being truthful. I'd rather hear these excuses (which let's face it, are the primary reasons people eat meat) than those pointless speeches about lions or cavemen or desert islands.

"I don't eat that much meat" is a lie, but it shows the person has a guilty conscience, at least temporarily.

"I don't think about it", though, is the ultimate cop-out. Are we supposed to congratulate them on that? I agree it's one of the worst of the "common omni excuses."

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#28 Old 01-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Hmm I hate this one too.... very similarly I also hate "But I'm a carnivore, I couldnt survive without meat". And they don't mean physically.... grrr

Makes me wanna scream
#29 Old 01-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

My friend, who I made become a Veggetarian. She said when she found out, Oh I could NEVER be a Vegetarian. She tried it, and she is fine, she loved the taste of meat but she eats a lot of mock stuff now and is much happier with herself knowing that she is not eating animals. I think once you become a Vegetarian your thinking re wires itself and you think, wow, I was eating animals, but know I am not. I don't know but she is really different now she is a vegetarian *Sure I am too though*

^Cool story, bro
#30 Old 01-12-2009, 10:50 PM

"The animals are dead anyways, we might as well eat them."

REALLY?! I hate people.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page