Do I buy a Juicer or a Smoothie Maker? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-01-2009, 09:39 PM

Hi all,

I'm new to this great forum and have just started my vegetarian lifestyle as from today. I've decided that i'd like to start having a healthy kickstart to my days from now on and am unsure as to whether to buy a juicer or a smoothie maker to use at breakfast time. Can anyone give me a helping hand?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Juicer, especially if you already have a blender, even an immersion blender or a food processor, as they can do what "smoothie makers" do, but none can do what a juicer does as well (if at all).

Welcome! Congrats on a great lifestyle choice!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 01-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I agree with Ahimsa. Juicer. Even if you don't have a blender you can get a really cheap one to do the job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I say juicer too for the same reason. I made a great smoothie today in a blender.
#5 Old 01-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Veggie Regular

If you have to choose between one and the other, buying a good blender, making a smoothie, and then pressing the pulp through a cheese cloth will give you juice. This way you can have either with one appliance.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#6 Old 01-02-2009, 06:09 AM
Banned

I use a blender to make smoothies. I don't have a juicer and can't say I've ever missed it.
#7 Old 01-02-2009, 06:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

If you have to choose between one and the other, buying a good blender, making a smoothie, and then pressing the pulp through a cheese cloth will give you juice. This way you can have either with one appliance.

Good point. I have both and I find I don't use my juicer very often now that I have a good blender. The blender is also about a million times easier to clean.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#8 Old 01-02-2009, 07:10 AM
Veggie Regular

juicer
#9 Old 01-02-2009, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

whats so great about a juicer anyway? Why not just eat the whole fruit or vegetable anyway? It just seems wasteful to only use the juice. Why not just eat the orange or carrot?

:: shrug ::

never been into juicing
#10 Old 01-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Vitamix?

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#11 Old 01-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by megbot View Post

whats so great about a juicer anyway? Why not just eat the whole fruit or vegetable anyway? It just seems wasteful to only use the juice. Why not just eat the orange or carrot?

Well, there's a theory that it's easier for the body to absorb the nutrients in fruits and vegetables when the cellular walls have been broken down (by blending).

And blending fruits and veggies allows you to consume more than you would probably eat in one sitting.

I'm not a fan of juicing because you throw so much away. I prefer a high powered blender (Vita-Mix specifically) because then you're getting everything. The Vita-Mix is expensive ($400+) but well worth it IMO.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#12 Old 01-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Veggie Regular

i love my juicer. its a mongrel to clean... but when i used to sit in traffic for half hour on my way to work every morning i would drink my brekky... easier to swallow my mouthful of orange, apple & pear to yell at the idiots then munch through whatever was in my mouth and have the moment gone :P

really in the end it all depends if ur into smoothies or juice more? i dislike milky or thick drinks so i'm a juice girl

and yes ppl whinge about the amounts of fruit u waste... i used to freeze mine for my dogs on a summer day! they love it!
#13 Old 01-02-2009, 08:45 AM
Beginner

I use my magic bullet for smoothies every morning and love it because of the individual mug that you make the drinks in, only have to clean one thing up The juicer on it stinks, and actually I never liked juicing because of the waste. I was at my grandmother's in November though and she had the Jack LaLanne Juicer and it was wonderful!!! It was easy to use and there was very little waste. I am considering buying one and then can use the little left-overs for my composter for more veggie growth!
#14 Old 01-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never used a juicer and I'm curious to know what goes to waste when you juice?
#15 Old 01-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Juicers leave behind the pulp and skins of fruits and vegetables.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#16 Old 01-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessEpiphany View Post

I've never used a juicer and I'm curious to know what goes to waste when you juice?

It filters out all of the pulp.

That's one of the reasons I prefer to vitamix everything, it's much more filling with all of that fiber, and you go through much less produce because you are using all of it.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#17 Old 01-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a juicer, a blender and a hand (or stick) blender. I've used the juicer once.

I agree with the other posters regarding which do you think you will use more...buy that one.
#18 Old 01-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Point of clarity: The OP asked about a "smoothie maker" shown here, different than a blender:
LL

#19 Old 01-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Point of clarity: The OP asked about a "smoothie maker" shown here, different than a blender:

OH! I make my smoothies in my blender...I didn't realize there was a whole separate smoothie appliance!

If it is a choice between that (^^^) smoothie maker or a juicer then I vote smoothie maker but only because I personally make more smoothies than juice.
#20 Old 01-25-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanGoesVeg View Post

I use my magic bullet for smoothies every morning and love it because of the individual mug that you make the drinks in, only have to clean one thing up The juicer on it stinks, and actually I never liked juicing because of the waste. I was at my grandmother's in November though and she had the Jack LaLanne Juicer and it was wonderful!!! It was easy to use and there was very little waste. I am considering buying one and then can use the little left-overs for my composter for more veggie growth!

How do you like the Magic Bullet? i've been thinking of getting one. I like the idea of the single serve size with the lids to go. I often find myself running late in the morning and thought this might be a great way to get a healthy breakfast. Also, have you made a green smoothie with it?
#21 Old 01-25-2009, 05:31 PM

You guys seem sooo happy with your juicer...me not so much...My Fiance and I bought the Jack Lalaine (sp) Juicer and I really didnt care for it....I think we used it twice....I perfer to eat the fruits and veggies honestly...but thats just me.

peace love and happiness

jenn
#22 Old 01-27-2009, 02:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Skip both, and buy a blender.

It's cheaper...and if you get a good one, you can chop up anything!
#23 Old 03-20-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post

Good point. I have both and I find I don't use my juicer very often now that I have a good blender. The blender is also about a million times easier to clean.

in addition you get the roughage if you use blenders whereas with juicer the roughage is the unwanted part especially if you are on liquid diet...
#24 Old 03-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo SunShine View Post

How do you like the Magic Bullet? i've been thinking of getting one.

I know you weren't asking me, but since I have one, I thought I'd weigh in.

I like mine okay. I generally use it for mixing up dips, dressings and shakes. It sometimes has a hard time getting the stuff in the bottom of the cup (which becomes the top when you invert it to put it on the base) blended, so I have to take the lid off, stir, put it back on and then blend again to make sure it's all nice and blended evenly. It works fairly well and I love that you blend things right in the cup that you'll be drinking out of (if you're making a drink, obviously), since it makes for less mess and fewer dishes to clean. It's very loud, though.

One of the plastic rings that seals the base to the cup on mine broke and I had a horrible time trying to get a replacement. The company that makes it didn't want to sell me a replacement seal unless I could prove that it was a genuine Magic Bullet and that I'd bought it from them (because otherwise I might be using a genuine part on a knockoff product ).

★ Vegetarian: 7/4/07 ☆ Near-Vegan: 11/08 ☆ FINALLY VEGAN! 4/4/09 ★

♥ 4 years down and a lifetime to go! ♥
#25 Old 03-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojie View Post

I know you weren't asking me, but since I have one, I thought I'd weigh in.

I like mine okay. I generally use it for mixing up dips, dressings and shakes. It sometimes has a hard time getting the stuff in the bottom of the cup (which becomes the top when you invert it to put it on the base) blended, so I have to take the lid off, stir, put it back on and then blend again to make sure it's all nice and blended evenly. It works fairly well and I love that you blend things right in the cup that you'll be drinking out of (if you're making a drink, obviously), since it makes for less mess and fewer dishes to clean. It's very loud, though.

One of the plastic rings that seals the base to the cup on mine broke and I had a horrible time trying to get a replacement. The company that makes it didn't want to sell me a replacement seal unless I could prove that it was a genuine Magic Bullet and that I'd bought it from them (because otherwise I might be using a genuine part on a knockoff product ).

I got the magic bullet as a Christmas present a year ago and LOVE IT! I make fruit smoothies all the time in it. This was one gift that I have got a lot of use out of. As far as stuff sticking to the base I never had a problem with. I usually just take it off and shake it some and put it back on and everything blends. I never have to open it and stir but I guess it depends on what you are making.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page