what's the hardest thing about being vegetarian - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 12-31-2008, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Dealing with skeptical friends, family, clients, etc. I hate talking about my vegetarianism with omnis, especially over a meal -- which is inevitably when they decide to bring it up. It's not that I'm not armed with the necessary information to defend my lifestyle -- I definitely am; I read books and websites about veg*nism all the time. I just don't want to have to defend it. I honestly have no interest in converting anyone, so I'd rather just be left to eat my veggie meal in peace.

I also wish there were more vegan options in restaurants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 12-31-2008, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

Dealing with skeptical friends, family, clients, etc.

+1

Especially those friends that just refuse to accept it and don't understand how I could possibly live without a steak.
#33 Old 12-31-2008, 04:27 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMeatMary View Post

+1

Especially those friends that just refuse to accept it and don't understand how I could possibly live without a steak.

I agree. Also I find that restuarants aren't really an option anymore, unless you like eating a salad at every place you go to.

Then meal times with the family, they don't exist anymore, the omni's eat at one time, and I eat at another time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 12-31-2008, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catt101 View Post

I agree. Also I find that restuarants aren't really an option anymore, unless you like eating a salad at every place you go to.

Then meal times with the family, they don't exist anymore, the omni's eat at one time, and I eat at another time.

Wow, really?

I eat out all the time and really enjoy my food. I also eat with family and friends... It doesn't have to be seperate.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#35 Old 12-31-2008, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyBella View Post

Hardest part about being Vegan (or vegetarian) is dealing with that akward silence when someone so rudely says " yeah well in the bible it says we should eat meat" and I just want to try and explain, yet I know that will do no good because of ignorance. I hate hate HATE when people try and justify that what they eat is just all fine and dandy, when in reality, they have no clue whatsoever.

I only gave up meat 10 days ago but already someone has made a similar comment to me. A woman said, "It's my personal belief that God created certain foods that are good for us, including meat."

The comment irritated me because (a.) this is MY personal choice and (b.) I'm bordering on atheism.
#36 Old 01-01-2009, 06:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessEpiphany View Post

I only gave up meat 10 days ago but already someone has made a similar comment to me. A woman said, "It's my personal belief that God created certain foods that are good for us, including meat."

The comment irritated me because (a.) this is MY personal choice and (b.) I'm bordering on atheism.

Well, you know, it's MY belief that if God really wanted us to eat animals then he wouldn't have made other viable sources of protein such as beans and grains. Maybe God actually wants us all to be veg!
#37 Old 01-01-2009, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

the hardest thing about being veggie, is probably explaining and justifying it to someone 'respectable' i.e an elderly individual for example who just doesnt get it.

Eating out is also hard, nearly all places, even some steakhouses have a veggie option but they arent generally lovely; i wouldnt pay that much for them anyway but if its an occasion when im obliged to go out then i'll have to.
#38 Old 01-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Beginner

The hardest thing for me is having to plan for lunch. I used to be able to fly to the closest fast food joint or eat at work (someone is always cooking something and bringing it in or there are leftovers from business lunches). The closest grocery takes 30 munites to get to, so I have to plan ahead, actually remember to grab my lunch in the morning, or starve from noon until I get home.
#39 Old 01-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiseki View Post

Maybe God actually wants us all to be veg!

Possible.

I'm sorry. My last post came off very... um, intolerant to religion?

I suppose I should have stated that the woman I had quoted really likes to try to push my buttons. (regarding going veggie, religion, pollitics, etc.)
#40 Old 01-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

To date, I haven't experienced any major problems being vegetarian. But some problems would be people who believe that fish is part of a vegetarian diet, and family dinner outings where there may be little if anything vegetarian.
#41 Old 01-02-2009, 12:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Great thread!

For me, the hardest part is watching other people continue to sleepwalk their way through life eating the carcasses of dead animals, with harmful effects on their physical and spiritual well being.

Family and friends can be an issue (as others have said) but I've found that the longer you thrive as a healthy, happy vegetarian/vegan, the harder it is for them to make stupid comments. Also, the longer you are a veggie, the more of a positive influence you can be on others. At some point, some of them will quietly approach you and ask for advice on going veg.
#42 Old 01-02-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catt101 View Post

are there no veg*n restaurants near by that you could go to catt?
#43 Old 01-02-2009, 09:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

I hate talking about my vegetarianism with omnis, especially over a meal -- which is inevitably when they decide to bring it up.

Exactly. I find this most annoying. I end up asking them if they really want to hear about the horrible ways their steaks or chicken got to their plates while we're eating. That usually shuts them up, even the persistent ones. I also tire of hearing how much I'm "missing" by my not being able to eat such-and-such. I tell them I can eat it, but I choose not to.
#44 Old 01-02-2009, 10:05 AM

The hardest part for me is that I really love meat and have been having a lot of cravings lately. I also get the occasional "It's too bad that you can't eat this, it's really good" To which I reply "I can eat it...I choose not to" But it's still hard. I'm a mix of different nationalities, all of which are sort of meat and potatoes based, so holiday's can be tough.

For our annual holiday cocktail party almost all of the appetizers were vegetarian. There were only 3 of the 15 that had meat/seafood. And everything that my mom made this year for Christmas Eve was vegetarian (except the salmon) so I like to think that my change has also helped improve the diets of others in my family.

So I guess if you really loved meat, but love not torturing the animals more, than it will be more difficult than say, someone that doesn't eat meat because they don't like it.
#45 Old 01-03-2009, 04:21 PM

The hardest thing for me so far has been family gatherings. It's hard for me to watch my overweight family gorge down steaks like they're twinkies. It's bad enough that colon cancer, breast cancer, and diabetes runs in the family.. ugh. I want them to live long, healthy lives.

And people at school can be very difficult - they are the type that will preach about religion (but now I know things I can say back *hugs VB people*) or people that are completely convinced that without meat, I would die. I'm sure a majority of the people at my school don't even know what a vegan is, and would probably drop their jaws if I explained it to them.

"'ow doz u get ur protaaynne?! lolz"

Oh, and I haven't gone out to eat yet (just gone vegan).. so I'm sure that won't be the easiest of things.
#46 Old 01-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

rebutting ignorant omnivores is what i find hardest, not that i can't answer their foolish chiding, it's just draining having to address the same nonsensical statements over and over.
#47 Old 01-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

My family has been very supportive and there are plenty of veg-friendly restaurants in my area. So I guess I've been lucky in that respect. What I find the hardest is not having other real-life vegetarian friends to talk to or get together with on a regular basis.
#48 Old 01-04-2009, 03:17 PM

I would say making meals for some who is veg. and isn't veg, in that same category, keeping meals for both and a very low budget being two college students, it is hard! And the scurtiny from people, but I'm starting to care less and less about what people think. But the meals for my husband and I are difficult.
#49 Old 01-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate how people assume I must eat salad all the time... or if we are going to a restaraunt and I want to see what my veggie options are and someone says oh they have salad. I get quite fiesty and tell them I do not eat salad all the time and if I were to go to a restaruant where all I had to choose from was a salad then I would not go back *sigh*

I mean, I do like salad, but it isnt my idea of a nice yummy dinner or something.

I also hate how people seem to always tell me oh I could never go vegetarian, i love my meat too much.... I mean seriously, do they think I care? I never asked them to go vegetarian. I never asked them if they could do it. I dont care if they like meat, so why do people always have to tell me this?
#50 Old 01-10-2009, 04:15 PM

I do think that in the UK we are very lucky that most places to eat have veggie options, the hardest thing to deal with (apart from tactless tv programs and adverts) is everyone assuming that vegetarians dont have taste buds and having to listen to meateaters explaining that food cannot possibly taste nice if there isnt a dead animal in it.
#51 Old 01-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirpa1 View Post

I also hate how people seem to always tell me oh I could never go vegetarian, i love my meat too much.... I mean seriously, do they think I care? I never asked them to go vegetarian.

What I even hate more is when someone waves meat in front of you saying stupid crap like "Mmmmm this tastes so good don't you wish you could have some of this?" As if all vegetarians secretly sit around pining for meat but simply can't have any. If I really wanted 'some of that' I would just freaking have some! But I don't want to. That's why I'm a vegetarian.
#52 Old 01-10-2009, 11:47 PM

Oh, I'm the same I hate when people say they couldn't go without meat, it's even worse when they smack their lips with their tongue and go it's too yummy. They don't understand that I find it freaking disgusting and don't care! Bleh!

I hate eating out, me and my boyfriend decided to go to this little restaurant strip, half the restaurants didn't sell vegetarian options except things like a side order of garden salad or caesar salad without the bacon. And the rest had like three things I could chose out of their menu only. But luckily I found an Indian restaurant, and that was great! I dislike eating with omnis too because I have to watch them eat meat and it doesn't make me enjoy my meal as much when I'm thinking, they're eating a dead animal, OMG, what did that animal go through, arghhhh!!!!!!

One thing I always do is make awesome vegetaraian meals for me to take to work (before they all worked out I was vego, they always said I brang the best/yummiest food to work) and people ask what they are and I tell them. And a couple times, and this is what I hate, they go "Oh and there's no meat in it, wow, that's amazing!"

FOOD DOES NOT NEED MEAT TO TASTE GOOD! Gosh, I'm gonna develop a nervous twitch, hahaha.
#53 Old 01-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Eating out... and dealing with ignorant peoples' comments. :P
#54 Old 01-11-2009, 03:05 PM

Listening to my testosterone-oozing uncle-in-law mutter "Just eat the [email protected]#%& meat" upon us asking if there is meat in a particular dish is pretty hard to swallow.
#55 Old 01-11-2009, 03:22 PM

Right now, it's the cravings for meat I get every now and then.

I'm a new veggie so I've just gotta start getting into the routine of not eating meat.

My friends and family are, thankfully, supportive.
#56 Old 01-12-2009, 03:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthy View Post

Right now, it's the cravings for meat I get every now and then.

I'm a new veggie so I've just gotta start getting into the routine of not eating meat.

My friends and family are, thankfully, supportive.

that way, i'm kinda lucky.

I'm good friends with a Chinese-Budhist veg family who cook vegetarian food that involves Mock meat. It actually tastes like real meat but it's tofu, mock dock (whatever that is ) and TVP.

They tell me a lot of ppl want to turn veg without losing the taste of meat. That's the market he's aiming for with a future restaurant plan
#57 Old 01-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle View Post

Eating out... and dealing with ignorant peoples' comments. :P

The same for me. It is difficult to remain patient with someone while they are telling me how *all* veg*ns are emotionally unstable just because they had a bad experience with *one* veg*n once upon a time.
#58 Old 01-14-2009, 03:24 PM

Having to constantly explain where I get my protein...
#59 Old 01-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Having an omni partner....
#60 Old 01-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I think the stigma is the hardest to deal with. It's like there's a mold for vegetarians and vegans that we are just supposed to fit into, but that's not always the case. I guess I'm just not the typical veggie, and it's irritating when people make snap judgments about my every opinion just based on my food choices. Also, as previously mentioned, eating out, having to plan meals, having to cook more, no other veg friends, un-supportive family and friends, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page