Everything is so expensive - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Beginner

Food with out animal ingredients and products with out animal ingredients are more expensive and I wonder why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Veggies, beans, rice all pretty inexpensive.....

ETA: Whole Foods 365 Brand soaps and shampoos are animal and cruelty free also...and cheap under 2 bucks here.

Like *Ahimsa* said
#3 Old 12-27-2008, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Trader Joe's and Whole Foods have affordable vegan shampoos and the like. Also, simple pure oil can be used for moisturizer and conditioners.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Banned

if you're going into special shops and buying special things, like posh veggieburgers and organic beans, they're probably made in smaller factories with higher production costs, from better quality ingredients and materials, with better treated staff, etc. it costs more money to make these things, so it costs more for you to buy them too.

basic things (like big bags of beans, rice, potatoes, veggies, bulk dried soya mince) that you can use to make your own food from scratch, really are very cheap. especially if you buy them from stores where lots of people people buy them really often and get through a lot of them. buying your chinese veggies for stirfry from a chinese supermarket, your indian spices and rice for curry from a shop where indian people get theirs, etc, will save you lots of money.

i don't buy a lot of expensive stuff. i make my own food, and treat special things as treats.

what foods specifically are you talking about? can you give examples?
#5 Old 12-27-2008, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Keith.

I'm going to move your thread to Vegetarian discussion.

The community assistance forum is more for questions about the boards themselves.

As for foods with animal products being more expensive, I think that is only sometimes the case. The cheapest whole foods like beans, rice, fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds and other grains are quite inexpensive. Same thing with processed foods that just happen to be vegetarian. Specialty veg items are often more expensive because they are produced on a smaller scale and tend to use ingredient that are more expensive than things like high fructose corn syrup.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#6 Old 12-27-2008, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaybackGuru View Post

Like *Ahimsa* said

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#7 Old 12-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

One thing that is really nice is that you don't have to worry about the cost of buying meat (usually relatively expensive).
#8 Old 12-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Beginner

Thanks synergy I didn't know where to put it so I thought the community for questions was alright. Sorry still new...

Well the foods like beans I get are taco bell refried beans vegetarian blend.

dole pineapple slices or chunks 100% pineapple juice, minute instant whole grain brown rice, progresso chick peas, progresso black beans, swansen vegetable broth, organic 100% whole wheat spaghetti, maurchan ramen noodle, pasta sauce onion and garlic from hannaford and frozen vegetables..

It's hard to find stuff the hard way would of been more easy if it's right on the food product says vegan or not vegan.

Ya I went to a heath food place thats a vegetarian cafe the food there is more expensive then just having reg pasta at papa ginos.. Thank god some restaurants are helpful when your a vegan.

Reason I said food is expensive cause natural food that has no animal ingredients in them are and it's not fair.

hoodedclawjen good that you make your own food man. You should try pineapple rice.. I buy dole pineapple chunks 100% pineapple juice and whole wheat rice. Let the rice absorb the juice and cook the pineapples. But make sure there isn't alot of rice cause if you use alot of rice half the rice won't absorb it... Tastes good after..
#9 Old 12-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Processed foods are expensive on any diet. Everyone, veg or not, should be eating fruits and veggies and whole grains, so that should be the same across the board (though obviously people eat a lot of crap and not enough of that). Veg proteins aren't really so expensive either -- $1.50 for a pound of tofu, about $1.50 to make a pound of seitan, $.50 for a pound can of beans -- less for lentils. Nuts are fairly expensive but you don't eat a heap of those at once. My bf and I eat 3 meals a day from home and pay about $70/wk in groceries. Not so expensive at all!!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#10 Old 12-27-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post

One thing that is really nice is that you don't have to worry about the cost of buying meat (usually relatively expensive).

agree and for the most part I buy everything and try to stock up during sales...

Peace Love and Happiness

Jenn
#11 Old 12-27-2008, 09:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe it depends where you live. I also find non-animal products tend to be more expensive. Soy milk is still slightly more expensive than cow milk, but since I can't drink it, the alternatives to cow/soy milk are all much more expensive, even if I buy the ingredients and make it myself. Some beans (like soy, again) may be cheaper than meat, but some aren't, unless I am comparing to very expensive cuts of meat. Nuts generally cost more than meat, too. Non-dairy margarine is practically non-existent; the only one I was able to find costs USD$6 for 250 grams, a little over a cup's worth. That is definitely more expensive than regular margarine. Some things are less or comparable, but, on the whole, I find being veg to be slightly more expensive. Just my experience, though.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#12 Old 12-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Veggie Regular

OTOH, when I eat out, the dishes I order tend to cost less than the omnis' choices.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#13 Old 12-27-2008, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

If you pay more than a dollar for a can of beans you are being robbed!
#14 Old 12-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Beginner

I find my diet to be pretty expensive.

I buy mostly fresh fruit and veg (as apposed to frozen or canned) and I spent AU$72 on groceries! that will last me one week! Maybe its because Im in Australia?
#15 Old 12-28-2008, 12:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I was at a local mediterranean grocer today, picking up day old pitas, 4 packages for $5.

Each package is a good dozen pitas or so.

All vegan.

Sounds cheap to me. (And they are far tastier than the storebought ones, even if they are a day old.)

Veg foods tend to be cheap if you are careful.
#16 Old 12-28-2008, 06:24 AM

I think you can follow a veggie/ vegan diet in a healthy and economical way like others have said by stocking up on staples like beans, rice and pasta.

I have noticed that organic fruit and veg is still much more expensive though and that lots of supermarkets sell very unhealthy omni food very cheaply which does annoy me.
#17 Old 12-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't make as big of a deal with "organic" fruits and veggies.

I doubt in the long run that it is going to matter if the pesticide was "organic" or "synthetic".
#18 Old 12-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

I don't make as big of a deal with "organic" fruits and veggies.

Me neither.

I'll buy organic if it is the same price or cheaper (which surprisingly it sometimes is) but other than that I just don't worry about it. I also buy as many frozen veggies as I can since they are way cheaper than fresh and nutritionally as good (or sometimes better).

I figure eating a healthy vegetarian diet alone gives me enough health bonuses I'm not going to quibble too much over organic vs. inorganically-grown produce.

#19 Old 12-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggily View Post

Maybe it depends where you live. I also find non-animal products tend to be more expensive. Soy milk is still slightly more expensive than cow milk, but since I can't drink it, the alternatives to cow/soy milk are all much more expensive, even if I buy the ingredients and make it myself. Some beans (like soy, again) may be cheaper than meat, but some aren't, unless I am comparing to very expensive cuts of meat. Nuts generally cost more than meat, too. Non-dairy margarine is practically non-existent; the only one I was able to find costs USD$6 for 250 grams, a little over a cup's worth. That is definitely more expensive than regular margarine. Some things are less or comparable, but, on the whole, I find being veg to be slightly more expensive. Just my experience, though.

If you live in the UK, Tesco sell 1L (2pints) of their own brand soy milk for 60p. Pretty tasty too, it's my favourite.

Consider that the same amount of Alpro soy milk is £1.20 ish and (non organic) dairy is about 75p, if not more. So maybe budget soy milks are available in America?
#20 Old 12-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrifer View Post

If you live in the UK, Tesco sell 1L (2pints) of their own brand soy milk for 60p. Pretty tasty too, it's my favourite.

Consider that the same amount of Alpro soy milk is £1.20 ish and (non organic) dairy is about 75p, if not more. So maybe budget soy milks are available in America?

Yes, but do budget soy milk brands produce BANANA SOY MILK???

http://www.alprosoya.de/unsere-produ...tml?no_cache=1
#21 Old 12-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I've always found it to be cheaper. *shrug*

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#22 Old 12-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
dole pineapple slices or chunks 100% pineapple juice, minute instant whole grain brown rice, progresso chick peas, progresso black beans, swansen vegetable broth, organic 100% whole wheat spaghetti, maurchan ramen noodle, pasta sauce onion and garlic from hannaford and frozen vegetables..

If it was me I would not buy instant brown rice and buy whole grain brown rice in bulk and store proper. Way cheaper and healthier. Progresso makes a nice lentil soup, but I would not buy their beans. Too much and would do a cheaper brand or buy in bags and cook in a crockpot or pressure cooker or even on the stove. Yes, patience is the key. lol

I buy whole wheat pasta but never organic.

Good luck. Fresh produce is what kicks me in the butt. It's way too high.
#23 Old 12-29-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

I don't make as big of a deal with "organic" fruits and veggies. I doubt in the long run that it is going to matter if the pesticide was "organic" or "synthetic".

I think organic fruit and veg tastes a lot better to me anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page