Some People are rude [comments made at the dinner table] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

So we went to eat dinner at a friends house yesterday. My mother, My brother and I and there was one guy there who I happen to hate and he is so annoying. My mom said well you eat enough....He just bluntly yelled out to my mother She Is a Vegetarian. I almost wanted to scream back at him. Instead I made him look like a food I yelled back out Yes Did everyone In the House Hear William I am a Vegetarian just in Case you did not hear!!! Point is some people are just so rude when It comes to that. I had someone else to the same thing not to long ago. I makes me mad...I feel like yelling out Yes I am a Vegetarian did you know that you eat Poor animals!

^Cool story, bro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-27-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreestylePup View Post

So we went to eat dinner at a friends house yesterday. My mother, My brother and I and there was one guy there who I happen to hate and he is so annoying. My mom said well you eat enough....He just bluntly yelled out to my mother She Is a Vegetarian. I almost wanted to scream back at him. Instead I made him look like a food I yelled back out Yes Did everyone In the House Hear William I am a Vegetarian just in Case you did not hear!!! Point is some people are just so rude when It comes to that. I had someone else to the same thing not to long ago. I makes me mad...I feel like yelling out Yes I am a Vegetarian did you know that you eat Poor animals!

Sorry You Had to deal with this But to me it would have been a compliment...I am Proud to be a Veggie and it doesnt upset me when people call me one... Try to not let it bugg ya

Peace Love and Happiness

Jenn
#3 Old 12-27-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-anti-fur View Post

Sorry You Had to deal with this But to me it would have been a compliment...I am Proud to be a Veggie and it doesnt upset me when people call me one... Try to not let it bugg ya

Peace Love and Happiness

Jenn

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd feel it was a compliment, too. But I can understand why you got annoyed.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#5 Old 12-28-2008, 12:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I always get that from people, people cant accept vegeterians, but thats what you are and you need to feel proud
#6 Old 12-28-2008, 12:57 AM
Veggie Regular

damn, i feel ya freestylePup. I go through that a lot. When I visit my family (who are almost carnivorous), I always get in some form of argument. I don't know why people have to be so up themselves when you tell them you're vegetarian.
#7 Old 12-28-2008, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

He did not mean it as a compliment that is the thing... I am a loud and Proud Vegetarian but I think it was incredibly annoying that he did that when everyone in the room knew it. I forgot to mention one thing. He picked up his turkey and Is like this is rabbit.... Dumb*** I saw him cut it off a turkey. He knows I love rabbits he was being incredibly Rude, Stupid, and Annoying at the same time

If he was just being ignorant I would have taken it as a compliment but then everyone stared at me I hate being stared at Anyway...He was trying to make me look stupid or something close to it.

^Cool story, bro
#8 Old 12-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Banned

so wait... first your mum made a comment about his diet (about how much he eats), and then he made a comment about yours (about what you eat) and then you made a big scene and yelled? or was your mums comment aimed at you, and not him?

either way, sounds a bit more like three rude people than one, to me.
#9 Old 12-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

my moms comment was aimed towards me but not a rude comment. She asked that to everyone after we eat...Vegetarian or not. He yelled his comment out...Being a Smart*** I said back Yes did everyone hear him I am a Vegetarian, Hoping he would feel as embarrassed as I was then he made another stupid comment but quieter that time. So basically I just was rude to him so he would not do that again because he has a tenancy to yell stuff out about people. The comment by mom was not even about how much anyone eats. Just asking are you full in her way

So only 2 rude people but I was rude so he would not be rude again It gets confusing...I think you would understand better if you where there.

^Cool story, bro
#10 Old 12-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:

my moms comment was aimed towards me but not a rude comment. She asked that to everyone after we eat...Vegetarian or not. He yelled his comment out...Being a Smart*** I said back Yes did everyone hear him I am a Vegetarian, Hoping he would feel as embarrassed as I was then he made another stupid comment but quieter that time. So basically I just was rude to him so he would not do that again because he has a tenancy to yell stuff out about people. The comment by mom was not even about how much anyone eats. Just asking are you full in her way

So only 2 rude people but I was rude so he would not be rude again It gets confusing...I think you would understand better if you where there.

oh, right, so your mum asked you, "did you eat enough?" not said to him "you eat enough!". thanks for clearing that up, it wasn't very clear from your first post.
#11 Old 12-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It gets confusing.

You're not wrong - I didn't follow any of that.

m8itcanw8.com
#12 Old 12-28-2008, 09:46 AM

I think:

her mom asked her if she was full ("did you have enough to eat?")

A boy screams across the table "she's a vegetarian!" (not sure what that has to do with being full or not)

she screams "yes I am a vegetarian in case anyone didn't hear him"
#13 Old 12-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

animallover you got it

^Cool story, bro
#14 Old 12-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes I have that when people have to broadcast your a vegetarian or vegan. My friend and I were out and decided to stop and get food. Well we sit down and decided what we want. Well she loudly tells the waiter, that I am vegetarian and need some vegetarian food.
#15 Old 01-02-2009, 03:59 PM

It feels good to yell back at people who make you angry, but in the long run, it is better to just let it go.

--Cerri
#16 Old 01-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

While he may be lacking in subtlety or an "inside voice" -- there are a lot worse things he could have said. I find it best just to stare at people like they're crazy in such situations (mostly because they usually are).

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#17 Old 01-03-2009, 02:46 PM

So he said "She's a vegetarian!!" in a sarcastic tone, to imply that of course you didn't get enough to eat because you didn't eat meat?

What a loser! But yeah, it probably would have been better to just politely say "Thanks for the breaking news" and continue on with your business.
#18 Old 01-06-2009, 03:06 PM

Freestyle,

While not easy to do, or think of when a person gets upset. If you are in that situation again, I would politely answer your mom, ignoring the little @$$$ affirming her question, then directly thank your host/hostess. He is seeking the attention, from what i would bet the host/hostess made a fuss to make sure you were comfortable, and he didn't like that, plus if you already don't get along.. .that makes it worse. Now saying that ... as a teenager, I would have probably dropped an F bomb or 2 and told him to go suck out the rotted meat between his teeth before he contacted mad cow.

Anyway those types of things get easier.

I forgot who posted about the friend that always makes a big deal out of you being a vegetarian, don't read to much into it... she obviously cares, just doesn't know how to deal with it. I will give you a humorous example.... My 6 year old is in Barnes and noble with me the day after Christmas, in the center of the store was a huge book display, with none other than Skinny *****.... My daughter Yells.... "HEY MOM, THERE'S SKINNY ***** ARE YOU GOING TO GET ANOTHER COPY SINCE YOU GAVE SHELBY YOUR COPY!"...... crickets in that entire store.... my son was walking away rather quickly... "I responded, not now sweetie... let's get your books today.." and went on... point is people who care will embarrass you or make you angry in some cases, but they want you to know they accept you, and want your acceptance....
#19 Old 01-07-2009, 02:34 PM

try saying this...

"yes I am! Do you have any questions i can answer about it for you? You seem REALLY confused."
#20 Old 01-08-2009, 06:30 AM

Ha ha, I have had to deal with challenges constantly because I know no other vedgies and all the best people I know bring roadkill home to roast and are meat eaters.

Sometimes they make valid points, but somtimes (mostly) they are just plain stupid. My favourite onoe was my dad, when we were eating salad, and he leaned over to me and said "Does lettuce have a central nervous system"? He was obviously being sarcastic, I just looked at him coldly.

The best thing to do is not to shout about being a vedgie, that just makes them want to hate you and challenge you more. If you just say you like vegetables, it avoids conflict and argument and rudeness and hurt feelings. If they ask you, say yes, and the discussion can be interesting - but otherwise don't have a big neon sign on your head saying I'm a vedgie. Just like they don't have a big neon sign saying I'm a Meat eater.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page