People say vegetarianism costs more, not!!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-17-2008, 10:48 PM

I went to wal mart the other day and compared some prices and it amazes me that it is cheaper to be a vegetarian then it is to be a meat eater

Package of soy cheese-$2.49

Package of cheddar cheese-$3.49

box of tofu 8 servings-$2.30

Box of lunchmeat turkey or bologne- $3.00 or more

Box of hamburger patties- 4 patties per box, $3.29

Box of boca burgers-$2.49

Costs of having a heart attack, surgeries and 1 week hospital stay- thousands!

I also get protein from beans,soy and protein shakes, alot cheaper then meat products

So another proof that it is cheaper and healthier!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I almost never buy that stuff.

Wait, it get's even cheaper.

Bag of dried chickpeas $1.09

Bag of lentils $0.98

Big bunch of Asian greens - $0.99

Can of organic red beans - $1.20

Giant box of in season fruit - $5

Living with a clear conscience - priceless.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#3 Old 12-17-2008, 11:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Living with a clear conscience - priceless.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-18-2008, 12:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Definitely. I took my boyfriend out to a nice steak house for his birthday. His meal was more than triple my baked potato/salad/veggies. Extreme example, but still.
#5 Old 12-18-2008, 04:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Definitely. I took my boyfriend out to a nice steak house for his birthday. His meal was more than triple my baked potato/salad/veggies. Extreme example, but still.

Yeah...I get that alot too. Me and my bf go out to eat...and I tell him I'm paying, or we're going dutch, or whatever...and he always feels bad (if I'm paying) 'cause the stuff he gets with meat costs more than my stuff.
#6 Old 12-18-2008, 06:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Soo, sooo true! I know some newly transitioning veg. who even think it's more expensive to be veg. than an omni, until you start explaining how one can very easily leave out all the mock meats & still get everything they need.

I think it's a shift in our thinking as well.

I mean, you could go pay $8.00 for a steak for one meal, but for that same $8.00, you could make at least 2 vegetarian meals, with leftovers.

That's without even taking the side dishes into consideration.

I know I get excited about finding canned, organic beans for around .75 cents a can, when I used to get excited to find chicken on sale for around $2.00 *per lb.*.

So um yeah, I defiantely think it has to do with our thinking.
#7 Old 12-18-2008, 06:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm always suprised when I hear a news story on how expensive it is to eat healthy. I keep very good records on what I spend on food. I eat almost exclusively at home or brown bag it. Over the last two years I have averaged $45 per week on food. That is an average of $2.14 per meal - alot less than a fast food meal. I eat fresh vegetables and a little bit of convenience food but mostly cook from scratch.
#8 Old 12-18-2008, 08:36 AM

Box of boca burgers-$2.49? here its 5.00 to 6.00 in most stores

Could you look an animal in the eyes and say to it, "My appetite is more important than your suffering"?
#9 Old 12-18-2008, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I had a friend over for dinner one night, but my frige was empty so we went to the store to get what we needed. I ended up getting all sorts of veggies for a nice stir-fry, and ended up only spending less than $5... *granted I already had some yummy jasmine rice at home* Meal for two for that little, PLUS leftovers... how sweet is that?!?
#10 Old 12-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigail950 View Post

Box of boca burgers-$2.49? here its 5.00 to 6.00 in most stores

Yeah...here it's expensive as well.
#11 Old 12-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Baby Love

I find most vegan convenience foods are actually more expensive per serving than conventional foods. They tend to come in smaller packages with less servings AND are usually pricier. However, I've found whole foods like beans, grains, and in season veggies are pretty much always a lot cheaper than a meaty-cheesy meal.
#12 Old 12-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

My mom's still in the meat-substitute phase so she makes a lot of Boca burgers/chicken nuggets/fake ground beef, etc. and that's definitely more expensive!! I've been giving her new recipes to try but she still often sticks with the fake meats

At school my groceries definitely cost less than my omni roommates, and I eat a lot of fresh vegetables too (fruits not so much as I'm allergic to raw apples/cherries/peaches/plums)

I have brown rice and beans at least once a week and that's a cheap meal. I also make taco soup (water, 2 cans of beans, diced tomatoes, taco seasoning) quite often and that makes plenty of meals for cheap!
#13 Old 12-19-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

exactly and sometimes they dont know what to charge for something...my Fiance and I were at a Holiday Party at a restaurant that really didnt have much for me...so I asked them to take the steak...chicken and Bacon out of the Large Bowl salad...and they then had to get a manager cause they couldnt charge the 20 bucks or whatever it was supposed to be..it ended up being like 6 bucks or something like that.

peace love and happiness

Jenn
#14 Old 12-20-2008, 03:38 AM

Don't forget yummy black beans! They are so cheap and tasty, and actually much more authentic in Mexican food than meat.
#15 Old 12-20-2008, 03:52 AM

When converted to Veg it was quite pricey... cleaning out what I had and converting to the veg lifestyle set me back about $150 my first three shopping trips (each time) to Whole Foods, Fresh adn easy and Sunflower Market. After that I found it to be cheaper than I'd expected. Asian markets are a great place to pick up veggies at a good price.
#16 Old 12-20-2008, 07:49 AM

Vegetarian may be cheaper than omni but I think vegan is more expensive. Fresh produce is very exensive as well as a lot of the vegan snacky things and nuts . I think in general it is more expensive to eat healthy than it is to eat pre-packaged and processed cack. A box of mac and cheese cost like .50 versus home made mac n cheese using real cheese and butter and nice whole wheat pasta and whole wheat flour will run you several dollars.

I spend about $150 a week on groceries for my family, and my friend spends like $100 a month b/c she buys all boxed mixes, no organic, and other junk like that :/
#17 Old 12-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-anti-fur View Post

exactly and sometimes they dont know what to charge for something...my Fiance and I were at a Holiday Party at a restaurant that really didnt have much for me...so I asked them to take the steak...chicken and Bacon out of the Large Bowl salad...and they then had to get a manager cause they couldnt charge the 20 bucks or whatever it was supposed to be..it ended up being like 6 bucks or something like that.

For my friend's birthday we went to Chili's and I ordered the steak and portobello mushroom fajitas- without the steak. It was $12.99 with the steak

The server mentioned that she wasn't sure how much to charge and I said I understood if she needed to charge the original price.

She ended up charging me for a veggie fajita and it was only $8!!
#18 Old 12-20-2008, 10:06 PM

Yeah I think it's crap when people say they "can no longer afford" a vegetarian diet, as my boss recently told me her daughter said.

I was like, no. Total crap.

If you live solely on fake meats or shop only at pricey, small health food stores, maybe.

But I only buy a few "special" items a week - Boca burgers, fake chicken nuggets, whatever.

A box of Boca burgers, which I think contains 4 patties, costs $3.50 or $4 here, tops.

That's less than $1 per patty. Add maybe another dollar for a nice wheat hamburger bun, couple pickles, lettuce, tomato and onion (or whatever veggies you put on a burger).

That's a meal for under $2 in most cases.

You can eat a healthy, vegetarian meal for about the same amount you can eat meat, it just takes a little planning.

If I lived off of Kraft mac&cheese and the $1 menu at MacDonalds, like I know some omnis do, I could probably eat for super cheap. But I'd feel like crap!
#19 Old 12-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Becoming vegetarian was very expensive for me at first and sent me way over my monthly food budget. But after I got my pantry well-stocked with the basics and I stopped buying convenience foods (boca burgers, etc) it's now gotten much cheaper and I find I have leftover food money at the end of the month. Giving up dairy helped a great deal. I was putting cheese on everything! I've also started buying a lot of frozen/canned veggies and fruit. If I had to rely on fresh produce I'd never survive. It's just too expensive.
#20 Old 12-20-2008, 11:19 PM

Haha. I went out to eat with some friends a couple of weeks ago. My meal was less than 5 dollars. steamed broccoli, black beans, and mashed potatoes.

Yeah, once the bill was split, they wanted my ticket. LOL
#21 Old 12-21-2008, 11:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Thats all actually pretty true! lol when I go shopping natually all teh meast are teh msot expensive! epecially things like steak and chicken and such and sea food, like shrimp, fish, crab dont ven get me started

I live with my mom and sister we get have to get food stamps, roughly about almost 3oo a month and i keep telline her it would be cheaper if we didnt buy meat and dairy, but noooooo

epecially stgocking uop on frozen foods liek veggies and fruits, beans, rice and other cheap things like that, hmph.
#22 Old 12-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Veggie burgers are really expensive here too, but for the most part I dislike them, so I don't care. I do like Zoglos broccoli burgers, but they are $5.99 a box, so I don't get them often. I buy most of my grains at a bulk food store (lentils, rice, etc.) and there is a $10 minimum to use your debit card. I struggle to find $10 worth of stuff to buy, it's that cheap. And when I buy tofu, even the expensive fancy tofu is only like $2.50 and the cheapest full-fat unhealthy ground meat is double that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page