VeggieBoards banner

The very best lasagna?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  NZVeggie 
#1 ·
My mother has decided that Christmas is going to be potluck style, and everything must be vegetarian. (Yay, Thanks Mom!)

So my hubby and I were thinking about making up a huge pan of veggie lasagne.

The trouble is... there are hundreds of lasagne recipes on the internet and in cookbooks. They all seem so mediocre, and as if there is nothing really special about them. I want a tried-and-true opinion of the BEST lasagne you've eaten. Something that's above average... preferably one with spinach in it, or that I can add some spinach to :p

I trust your judgement, as everything I read on here sounds so tasty!! What kind of spices and herbs do you add to the tomato sauce to make it so amazingly delish??

PS: It can be a lacto-ovo lasagne. We are willing to make our own noodles from scratch OR buy them prepared... either way.

#2 ·
I made this recipe at my 18th birthday party and it turned out great: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Hearty-...na/Detail.aspx

The only modifications I made were adding a package of chopped frozen spinach (thawed & drained) into the sauce mixture, using fresh basil, and reducing the mozzarella cheese by half. For the jarred pasta sauce, I used Newman's Own Sockarooni sauce. Highly recommended! =]

#3 ·
Vegan Planet has a great vegan lasagna, which uses crumbled tofu mixed with a box of frozen spinach in place of the ricotta. I looked online and couldn't find the recipe. I don't have my copy here with me (I'm at work) but I'd imagine if you used a standard lasagna recipe and just subbed the tofu/spinach mix in, it'd be pretty yummy.

I've done it with sauteed portobello mushrooms added in too. Just cut the caps into strips, then half them.

ETA: Paisleyjane, if you or anyone else wants, I can type in the recipe later when I have my book on hand.

#4 ·
I don't really use a recipe. I make lasagna with the Cashew Ricotta from Veganomicon, my own sauce recipe (chopped onion, garlic, 2 cans of crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano and some basil from my garden), mushrooms and spinach and some vegan gourmet mozzarella melted on the top.

You could use real cheese instead if you want to. The cashew ricotta rules though.

#7 ·
YUMMMM Thanks everyone!!

I'm hungry. I'll have to make some of these to test before deciding a final verdict on my Christmas potluck contribution...

Mas - that looks AWESOME. SOOO tasty!

Brandon - If you get a chance, I'd still be interested in your recipe! I love the idea of portabello mushrooms. YUM!

#9 ·
I just made a really nice lasagna using squash. I cut up an onion and fried it, added some chunks of cubed squash and a chopped up mushroom and continued frying. In another pan, I took some pasata and added some fresh herbs, nuts and a dash of wine.

I wrapped the squash mixture in sheets of fresh lasagna and then covered the whole lot with the pasata sauce. I then cooked for about 35 minutes. I'm not much of a cook, but I found this very easy to make and I'm sure you could adapt it to contain spinach.

#10 ·
The most amazing vegetarian lasagna I have made was a roasted pumpkin and kumara (sweet potato) one. I roasted the veggies and then used them in place of "mince" in a standard lasagna recipe smothering them in pasta sauce with some white sauce and cheese on top. Turns out amazing. I'm pretty sure if you layered in some spinach it would make it even better... on that note, I might do that next time.

So yeah I highly recommend a roast vegetable lasagne made up out of your favorite roast veggies!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.