Dead Cow Coat!!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 11-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Newbie
 
11071995km's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 39
There is this guy and he is one of my best friends even though were exact opposites. We always are jokingly making fun of each other but it bugs me to death because every chance he gets he wears hi dead cow coat (leather) to school. I can't focus on anything in class because I can't take my eyes off of that stupid coat!!!! I am SO mad!!!



11071995km is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 11-19-2008, 05:22 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11071995km View Post

There is this guy and he is one of my best friends even though were exact opposites. We always are jokingly making fun of each other but it bugs me to death because every chance he gets he wears hi dead cow coat (leather) to school. I can't focus on anything in class because I can't take my eyes off of that stupid coat!!!! I am SO mad!!!






if it helps, i bet a good percentage of the other kids in your school are wearing dead cow shoes.
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#3 Old 11-19-2008, 05:44 PM
Beginner
 
SilverDratini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 158
Start sitting in front of him, where you can't see it?



Alternatively, consider the alternatives to him wearing it. It is quite possible you might find the alternatives less ethical. If this is the case, it should help.
SilverDratini is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 11-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,641

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

sleepydvdr is offline  
#5 Old 11-20-2008, 03:13 AM
Beginner
 
SilverDratini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

Tell him fake facts about it like he can get mad cow disease from it or that in the 15th Century, only peasents wore leather and rich people who wore cotton and velvet.

I really do not advise this.
SilverDratini is offline  
#6 Old 11-20-2008, 05:59 AM
Veggie Regular
 
cstadt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,992
You should still be able to focus.. I would be able to at least

What happens when you see people walking down the street with leather? Shoes too?

and do you sit in the cafeteria?



I believe if I couldn't stand it, I'd be pretty miserable. Maybe I block it out, or maybe I just let each to his own... but if I didn't do that I'd go crazy



I have a leather coat hanging in my closet at my parents' house and have yet to go buy a new winter coat yet. I haven't worn it in two+ years, but this year is going to include December Chicago weather, much different from Birmningham or Mobile, AL weather
cstadt is offline  
#7 Old 11-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstadt View Post




I have a leather coat hanging in my closet at my parents' house and have yet to go buy a new winter coat yet. I haven't worn it in two+ years, but this year is going to include December Chicago weather, much different from Birmningham or Mobile, AL weather





Does that mean you would wear it if it wasn't so cold? Maybe you would be less inclined to keep the darn thing if you looked at a video on youtube about leather production India which I understand is where a huge portion of leather today comes from.



The torture that cattle endure on their way to the slaughterhouse is beyond belief. The face of an Indian cow is so beautiful and to see them having pepper flakes ground into their eyes to motivate them to continue on their death march is an image that I will see forever.



I can understand the OP's feelings about that leather coat. I had the same experience seeing some dumb bimbo wearing a full length fur coat to go grocery shopping of all places. I was totally distracted, angry, hurt......
GhostUser is offline  
#8 Old 11-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Beginner
 
SilverDratini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 158
Surely making yourself too sickened to use leather that you already have isn't that productive? In fact, if you consider the manufacturing process used in plastic, for example, it might even be counter-productive.
SilverDratini is offline  
#9 Old 11-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
http://getactive.peta.org/campaign/US_indian_leather



If you watch this, perhaps you will begin to understand how horrific the leather industry is. Perhaps you will be so moved that trying to compare making plastic to the agony that these poor animals suffer so that some guy can walk around in a stupid leather jacket, will become cruel and inhuman in your mind too.
GhostUser is offline  
#10 Old 11-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Beginner
 
SilverDratini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 158
Not to be rude or anything, but did you read my post? Like at all? Because what you posted bears little relation to it.



Can you read it and reply, please?



(Oh, and I absolutely love your irrelevant presumption that I don't already find leather-making cruel and inhumane. Fyi, I gave up wearing leather about ten years ago.)
SilverDratini is offline  
#11 Old 11-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDratini View Post

Not to be rude or anything, but did you read my post? Like at all? Because what you posted bears little relation to it.



Can you read it and reply, please?



(Oh, and I absolutely love your irrelevant presumption that I don't already find leather-making cruel and inhumane. Fyi, I gave up wearing leather about ten years ago.)



Yes I read your post and because I don't know anything about you, I am left to make assumptions based on really no information. So if you have already given up using leather products then I do apologise if your feelings are hurt. As far as your assumption that I am making myself sick over the issue of leather products that I already have is also an assumption. I am deeply affected by leather and fur use, and for that I will offer no apologies. If you are suggesting that the manufacture of plastic and the ill effects of it make the use of leather qualitatively less problematic, then that is your opinion. My personal opinion of the human race is that we drastically over-rate ourselves, and if the day should come when we no longer exist because we have caused our own demise through nuclear holocaust or environmental cataclysm, then so be it. At least then this jewel of a planet with all its amazing built in checks and balances will have a chance to heal itself. That is simply how I feel.
GhostUser is offline  
#12 Old 11-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Beginner
 
SilverDratini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselsmom View Post

Yes I read your post and because I don't know anything about you, I am left to make assumptions based on really no information. So if you have already given up using leather products then I do apologise if your feelings are hurt. As far as your assumption that I am making myself sick over the issue of leather products that I already have is also an assumption. I am deeply affected by leather and fur use, and for that I will offer no apologies. If you are suggesting that the manufacture of plastic and the ill effects of it make the use of leather qualitatively less problematic, then that is your opinion. My personal opinion of the human race is that we drastically over-rate ourselves, and if the day should come when we no longer exist because we have caused our own demise through nuclear holocaust or environmental cataclysm, then so be it. At least then this jewel of a planet with all its amazing built in checks and balances will have a chance to heal itself. That is simply how I feel.

I'm afraid you're still misunderstanding me. I think it's my fault for misusing pronouns. I'll try and explain again, because I'm pretty sure we don't really differ that much in our opinions.



You posted, "Does that mean you would wear it if it wasn't so cold? Maybe you would be less inclined to keep the darn thing if you looked at a video on youtube about leather production India which I understand is where a huge portion of leather today comes from."



I didn't think you were making yourself sick about leather, but rather that cstadt would make themselves sick if they watched a video as you suggested. Perhaps too sick to make use of the coat again. One of the things that makes me most upset about suffering is it being ultimately pointless. I doubt I will ever knowingly or willingly buy new leather again, but I make the utmost use of the items I still have, because the idea of not doing so makes me feel sick. However, I do recognise that some people are sickened by leather itself, and couldn't do what I do, and I do respect that.



I don't think that leather-making can be justified by the pollution by plastic-manufacture, but I believe use of items that you already have

can be. It seems more ethical than throwing the product of all that suffering in the bin.
SilverDratini is offline  
#13 Old 11-22-2008, 04:13 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDratini View Post

I'm afraid you're still misunderstanding me. I think it's my fault for misusing pronouns. I'll try and explain again, because I'm pretty sure we don't really differ that much in our opinions.



You posted, "Does that mean you would wear it if it wasn't so cold? Maybe you would be less inclined to keep the darn thing if you looked at a video on youtube about leather production India which I understand is where a huge portion of leather today comes from."



I didn't think you were making yourself sick about leather, but rather that cstadt would make themselves sick if they watched a video as you suggested. Perhaps too sick to make use of the coat again. One of the things that makes me most upset about suffering is it being ultimately pointless. I doubt I will ever knowingly or willingly buy new leather again, but I make the utmost use of the items I still have, because the idea of not doing so makes me feel sick. However, I do recognise that some people are sickened by leather itself, and couldn't do what I do, and I do respect that.



I don't think that leather-making can be justified by the pollution by plastic-manufacture, but I believe use of items that you already have

can be. It seems more ethical than throwing the product of all that suffering in the bin.



It does sound like we are in large part very much of the same mind and I guess I was just not understanding what you were trying to say. My initial inquiry was as to whether or not someone who'd made the decision not to be part of a system of abuse could in good conscience walk around wearing a dead animals skin. I personally could not, for two reasons. I would be thinking about those poor animals the whole time it was on me, which would make me feel horrible, and secondly, I would not want to open myself up to the possibility of ridicule if someone knew I had this moral stance and decided to call me on it. On the other hand, I admit to having an old leather saddle hanging in my barn and because I am retired and on a fixed income, am unable to put out the $400.00 or $500.00 dollars that a synthetic one would cost. I suppose the fact that I am not going to have to deal with defending myself (I live in a rural area and besides, rarely ever ride my horse cause I'm old enough to worry about broken bones if I should get dumped) on the saddle issue makes it a non issue (sort of but not really). But like you, I will never purchase leather again.
GhostUser is offline  
#14 Old 11-22-2008, 07:20 AM
Veggie Regular
 
cstadt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,992
Dieselsmom, nah I was just making fun of myself for procrastinating. (as in, Birmingham's not that cold so I haven't gotten a new coat) I'm not a shopper. I don't and won't wear it but it's still in my closet at my parents'.



I was actually insinuating that I need to get another coat for Chicago, not drive 4 hours to go get my old coat from my parents.



edit: wow. There's no need to be hostile and/or condescending. I actually believe I am happier blocking out certain things in peoples' lives. People that don't want to hear my rants. So why be rude and tell them my thoughts?



It a perfect setting, that fur lady in the grocery store would be attacked by a band of whatever animal's fur made that coat. But life's not that perfect. or ironic.



People deal with much more life-threatening things on a daily basis. It'd be nice if everyone's biggest worry was that the person next to them offended them with their food or something. For real.
cstadt is offline  
#15 Old 11-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular
 
ripvanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,191
I love it when I see veg*ns who have more animosity toward other veg*ns that have more moderate opinions than them, than the meat-eaters who openly support murdering animals. Just. Love it.
ripvanfish is offline  
#16 Old 11-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Newbie
 
WLehman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6
Well I think that it is extremely important to discuss openly and fairly the specific details of the issues that surround veganism/vegetarianism. Without it, how are people supposed to unite for some common cause? Discussion, as long as it is done respectfully and productively, is absolutely vital to changing the way our world relies on meat. So power to the respectful debaters! Just remember that, as someone mentioned earlier, we are not disagreeing very much when you look at the whole picture!
WLehman is offline  
#17 Old 11-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Newbie
 
WLehman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6
I actually take the stance that wearing leather in public is interpreted by others who see you to be a display of what you feel is okay. I would venture to say: don't advertise a cause that you disagree with adamantly. Make a statement every time you wear your clothes, you know?
WLehman is offline  
#18 Old 11-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Newbie
 
bmd0617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 88
11071995km -- I think you should just try and get past it. Yes it's awful and horrific, but it's his decision not yours. If you say anything to him about it, it will probably come off preachy because you are vehemently against his coat and leather. But again: It's his decision. You can't change someones mind by cutting them down unless theyre a very very weak individual that succumbs to pressure easily (Which i doubt this guy is).

I agree that you should think of the other people in school. There's probably someone out there wearing sheep and alpaca and leather all at the same time. But really, try and get past it, try to focus on your work even if you have to ask your teacher to move your seat so you're not behind him.





--It's baffling that leather is being made in India where cows are looked on as godly animals and are protected.
bmd0617 is offline  
#19 Old 11-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstadt View Post

It a perfect setting, that fur lady in the grocery store would be attacked by a band of whatever animal's fur made that coat. But life's not that perfect. or ironic.



that setting would probably suck- as it'd probably be the same perfect world in which i'd get attacked by a band of angry people from less developed nations in revenge over the contents of my supermarket trolley and the components of my cell phone, strangled by a horde of trees pissed off about my toilet paper, and pelted by several angry rocks who were livid about my kitchen floor. ahhh... sweet and perfect justice in action.
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#20 Old 11-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Newbie
 
thalestral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLehman View Post

Well I think that it is extremely important to discuss openly and fairly the specific details of the issues that surround veganism/vegetarianism. Without it, how are people supposed to unite for some common cause? Discussion, as long as it is done respectfully and productively, is absolutely vital to changing the way our world relies on meat. So power to the respectful debaters! Just remember that, as someone mentioned earlier, we are not disagreeing very much when you look at the whole picture!



I think that's the key element being missed out on by some posters. Civil discussion is good discussion people! I don't like seeing posts that verge on personal attacks, it's just ugly
thalestral is offline  
#21 Old 11-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular
 
ripvanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by thalestral View Post

I think that's the key element being missed out on by some posters. Civil discussion is good discussion people! I don't like seeing posts that verge on personal attacks, it's just ugly



+1 Good post, thalestral.
ripvanfish is offline  
#22 Old 11-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstadt View Post

Dieselsmom, nah I was just making fun of myself for procrastinating. (as in, Birmingham's not that cold so I haven't gotten a new coat) I'm not a shopper. I don't and won't wear it but it's still in my closet at my parents'.





edit: wow. There's no need to be hostile and/or condescending. I actually believe I am happier blocking out certain things in peoples' lives. People that don't want to hear my rants. So why be rude and tell them my thoughts?

.





I'm so sorry that you feel that my post was hostile or condescending. It really wasn't meant to be. I think that these forums miss a large part of ones contribution to the conversation by not being able to include tone of voice and visual clues. If I offended you I am sorry. I think I need to wean myself off this forum because I seem to step on toes to frequently. Again, so sorry.
GhostUser is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off