How to Explain Your Decision to Become a Vegetarian or Vegan to Others - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-19-2008, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...to_become.html

I found this article, I hope it helps someone. I just thought I would post it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Overall good advice. If I don't feel like talking about it I just tell people it's a personal decision and I don't like to talk about it. Nothing wrong with that.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 11-19-2008, 11:58 AM

sound advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Very good article. Can you post the link as well?
#5 Old 11-19-2008, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHADIJAH View Post

While he was sitting at this luncheon, he was asked if he "was still doing that vegetarian thing?"

I had similar comments when I became vegetarian. I remember a couple months after I switched, a friend of mine invited my hubby & I over for dinner. While she was preparing the BBQ, she asked "So, ya still on that vegetarian kick?" (kinda sarcasticly)

The tone of her voice was what made me mad, it was like she was expecting me to fail, and that is was just a silly phase or something. When I answered "yes, but it's not a "kick" - I don't plan on eating meat again, ever"

She actually came back with... "Well, when you do change your mind, I'll cook you some ribs because this sauce I make is amazzzzinnnggg!!!"

Then everyone started talking about her deliciously sauced ribs, and I just sat there fuming at how dismissive and disrespectful she was.

So yep, I can see why that comment would be frustrating.
#6 Old 11-19-2008, 06:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Originally, my reasons for going veg were for my health and because I didn't want to eat animals. However, I find that I can't use the first reason anymore. I eat a lot of junk food and I'm overweight. If I say "I'm vegetarian for my health", people look at me weird and I can't really say anything else. My answer for a while has been that I don't want to eat animals. When I tell people that, I get weird looks! I also get answers such as, "But people are meant to eat animals. Just look at our teeth!"

*throws hands up in frustration*
#7 Old 11-19-2008, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

My reply depends on who is asking, If I suspect they are a thinking person I will explain my reasons to them, for all the others I just brush them off as quick as possible.
#8 Old 11-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Well at first it was animal rights but then I found Buddhism. So I usually explain the process. People usually respect that. I try not to be preachy because I think its really off-putting. Surprisingly though my partner who is now a pescetarian (sp?) for health reasons is VERY preachy about other people eating anything other than fish. Quite funny really. I've found people are more willing to try veggie food too if you don't try and shove the reasoning down their throats. Meh, that's just me.
#9 Old 11-20-2008, 04:51 AM
Veggie Regular

oh Im sorry I will try and go back and find it, I didnt know you had to post the link. Duh
#10 Old 11-20-2008, 04:56 AM
Veggie Regular

#11 Old 11-21-2008, 05:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHADIJAH View Post

Since becoming vegetarians only a few months ago, people in our lives have not really understood the change. (I suppose it is easier to be an established vegetarian when you meet new people). While he was sitting at this luncheon, he was asked if he "was still doing that vegetarian thing?"

Thanks for the link.

By the way, my response to that question would have been:

"Yes, are you still doing that eating dead animal thing?"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page