VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegetarian Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/)
-   -   How to Explain Your Decision to Become a Vegetarian or Vegan to Others (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/90436-how-explain-your-decision-become-vegetarian-vegan-others.html)

khadijah 11-19-2008 07:53 AM

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...to_become.html

I found this article, I hope it helps someone. I just thought I would post it.

Michael 11-19-2008 11:52 AM

Overall good advice. If I don't feel like talking about it I just tell people it's a personal decision and I don't like to talk about it. Nothing wrong with that.

rejey 11-19-2008 11:58 AM

sound advice

Licence 11-19-2008 02:08 PM

Very good article. Can you post the link as well?

paisleyjane 11-19-2008 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHADIJAH View Post

While he was sitting at this luncheon, he was asked if he "was still doing that vegetarian thing?"

I had similar comments when I became vegetarian. I remember a couple months after I switched, a friend of mine invited my hubby & I over for dinner. While she was preparing the BBQ, she asked "So, ya still on that vegetarian kick?" (kinda sarcasticly)

The tone of her voice was what made me mad, it was like she was expecting me to fail, and that is was just a silly phase or something. When I answered "yes, but it's not a "kick" - I don't plan on eating meat again, ever"

She actually came back with... "Well, when you do change your mind, I'll cook you some ribs because this sauce I make is amazzzzinnnggg!!!"

Then everyone started talking about her deliciously sauced ribs, and I just sat there fuming at how dismissive and disrespectful she was.

So yep, I can see why that comment would be frustrating.

barefootchick 11-19-2008 06:09 PM

Originally, my reasons for going veg were for my health and because I didn't want to eat animals. However, I find that I can't use the first reason anymore. I eat a lot of junk food and I'm overweight. If I say "I'm vegetarian for my health", people look at me weird and I can't really say anything else. My answer for a while has been that I don't want to eat animals. When I tell people that, I get weird looks! I also get answers such as, "But people are meant to eat animals. Just look at our teeth!"

*throws hands up in frustration*

vefo 11-19-2008 06:46 PM

My reply depends on who is asking, If I suspect they are a thinking person I will explain my reasons to them, for all the others I just brush them off as quick as possible.

thefragile77 11-19-2008 09:53 PM

Well at first it was animal rights but then I found Buddhism. So I usually explain the process. People usually respect that. I try not to be preachy because I think its really off-putting. Surprisingly though my partner who is now a pescetarian (sp?) for health reasons is VERY preachy about other people eating anything other than fish. Quite funny really. I've found people are more willing to try veggie food too if you don't try and shove the reasoning down their throats. Meh, that's just me.

khadijah 11-20-2008 04:51 AM

oh Im sorry I will try and go back and find it, I didnt know you had to post the link. Duh

khadijah 11-20-2008 04:56 AM

Licence 11-21-2008 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHADIJAH View Post

Since becoming vegetarians only a few months ago, people in our lives have not really understood the change. (I suppose it is easier to be an established vegetarian when you meet new people). While he was sitting at this luncheon, he was asked if he "was still doing that vegetarian thing?"

Thanks for the link.

By the way, my response to that question would have been:

"Yes, are you still doing that eating dead animal thing?"