Debate (have to debate pro-hunting in class) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-17-2008, 06:54 PM

In my debate class this guy and I keep getting into debates over hunting but Friday my teacher said that we are going to switch. Now I have to come up with some pros about HUNTING!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Banned

thats probably doable. you don't have to beleive a veiwpoint to present it.

have you thought about using the 'lesser evil' type approach? you could say something about how meat being sourced via hunting enables animals to live the lives they do get to live in a natural environment and die a less stressful death than say... a veal calf or battery hen might. you could say that a positive to hunting is that people who hunt aren't in denial about where their food comes from-like many who get their sausages vaccum packed are. you could say that hunted meat is probably healthier than mass produced chemically enhanced meat, that its not responsible for huge deforestation or other environmental damage.....etc.

go very careful on 'pro-meat' argument stuff round here though... or there will be trouble.
#3 Old 11-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with hoodedclawjen. Also, I think when people who do actually hunt animals for food, they have a respect for the animals they hunt. I have family in the mountains of West Virginia. One IS an avid hunter, but he does not do it for sport. He uses the meat, and gives away the rest. Anything can be salvage for food or sale is. Nothing is thrown away. And i think he does not look upon the deer or whatever as just an animal to be killed.

I had a friend who went hunting in TX once, he was from another state. Unfortunately, he was there as a sport hunter, but the deer that he killed was donated to a community for the meat. So it wasn't wasted. It's meat ended up, for free, at a women's abuse shelter or somewhere.

Also you could look into info about some cultural/native peoples who believe in hunting as a religious-type ritual or it's spiritual and how it's how it's a sacrilage to not use, or to misuse, any part of the animal. Some peoples do not look upon this as a sacrifice but actually thank the spirit of the creature before or after killing. Some look upon animals as vessels of the gods. I am sure there's some useful good reasons for hunting in those stories somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11071995km View Post

In my debate class this guy and I keep getting into debates over hunting but Friday my teacher said that we are going to switch. Now I have to come up with some pros about HUNTING!!!

I would still approach this from a vegetarian stance. I would say that hunters are such evil morons that if they weren't allowed to shoot innocent animals they might shoot innocent people instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLover View Post

I agree with hoodedclawjen. Also, I think when people who do actually hunt animals for food, they have a respect for the animals they hunt. I have family in the mountains of West Virginia. One IS an avid hunter, but he does not do it for sport. He uses the meat, and gives away the rest. Anything can be salvage for food or sale is. Nothing is thrown away. And i think he does not look upon the deer or whatever as just an animal to be killed.

I had a friend who went hunting in TX once, he was from another state. Unfortunately, he was there as a sport hunter, but the deer that he killed was donated to a community for the meat. So it wasn't wasted. It's meat ended up, for free, at a women's abuse shelter or somewhere.

Also you could look into info about some cultural/native peoples who believe in hunting as a religious-type ritual or it's spiritual and how it's how it's a sacrilage to not use, or to misuse, any part of the animal. Some peoples do not look upon this as a sacrifice but actually thank the spirit of the creature before or after killing. Some look upon animals as vessels of the gods. I am sure there's some useful good reasons for hunting in those stories somewhere.

I think these arguments can easily be defeated.

Regarding the "having respect" argument, I sure don't equate someone respecting me with blowing my brains out.

Regarding the "its not going to waste so its ok" argument, would you feel happy about being shot and eaten?

Regarding the spiritual stuff, that is primitive superstitious nonsense.
#5 Old 11-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Ummm...there's a chance that the hunter will accidentally shoot himself in the foot and never be able to go hunting again?

I agree with the posts above though. I may not like it, but it's still preferable to farming.
#6 Old 11-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by coley View Post

I may not like it, but it's still preferable to farming.

A lot of people think this but its wrong (IMO). That hunted animal had a real life and a real future, as opposed to a farmed animal where every second of every day is characterised by cruel deprivation, pain and misery, until its fat enough to be eaten (not much of a past, present or future there) but because of the macho and selfish act of the hunter, who has no need to kill wild animals, it is dead.

And the allegedly quick and painless death of the shot wild animal is unfortunately not realistic either, nor relevant even if true. First, there's the animal's companions, their babies, their family members, the social relationships and complex hierarchies irreparably broken down by that selfish and unnecessary act.

Secondly there are huge numbers of animals that aren't "lucky" enough to be killed by a clean shot. They are left to suffer an agonising death.

Just because its an animal, do you think a bullet hurts any less?
#7 Old 11-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

If sick deer are around it keeps the population down? Is that good? Too many deer will overcrowd an area. Sick animals will spread sickness. (I would be more for getting rid of the humans, but this is debate man, and the whole thing is about winning the crappy argument no matter what!" Just suck it up and say "it's not for me, it's for the grade.")

Gah'! Hunting teaches kids to be --- like--- more social? They learn how to shoot because if there is a war you need to know how to kill people? You can learn to gut animals because it is --- ??? fun??? natural meat tastes ??? good??? It's traditional and a bonding activity for ???men??? animals don't mind dying because there are too many of them.

Sorry. I would be laughing if I had to defend hunting.
#8 Old 11-18-2008, 11:19 PM
Veggie Regular

As someone else stated, you don't have to believe in something to present information clearly. I was a debater for four years in high school, and I argued so many points that I did not believe... it's all about presentation. You can do it.
#9 Old 11-19-2008, 08:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post

Gah'! Hunting teaches kids to be --- like--- more social? They learn how to shoot because if there is a war you need to know how to kill people? .

i bet this one would go down reaaallly well. and yet .
#10 Old 11-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Beginner

Reasons to learn to hunt: one day, you might be in a I am Legend type of situation and have run out of tinned food. Be very confident in your delivery, and perhaps no one will spot the holes.
#11 Old 11-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

You could always use the argument two hunter characters used on "South Park":

"You see kids, if we didn't shoot animals, they might die."

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#12 Old 11-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licence View Post

Regarding the spiritual stuff, that is primitive superstitious nonsense.

That some people really beleive, actually.
#13 Old 11-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Instead of focussing on the individual rights of an animal, you could focus on the collective rights of an ecosystem. Selective hunting of invasive species could improve the native ecosystem and improve the overall health of the ecological community. It could promote biodiversity and increase native food sources for native species.

Do the collective rights of the ecosystem outweigh the individual rights of animals? They do if you provide units of value to each living thing in an ecosystem. There are plenty of environmental philosophers who debate these issues and hunting (or selective culling/breeding) could be a side issue.

Good luck, being unemotional and well researched will win any debate.
#14 Old 11-19-2008, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin84 View Post

Good luck, being unemotional and well researched will win any debate.

I agree. Research, research, research. Good luck, and remember, if you can argue well for a point of view that you don't beleive in, (which is part of what learning to debate is about), then what you can do with a point that you do could be amazing.
#15 Old 11-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Very few hunters get shot by the Vice President.

http://www.ourveggiekitchen.com
#16 Old 11-19-2008, 02:29 PM

An argument would also be that if people didn't hunt overpopulation would happen. Overpopulation leads to more deer being hit on the roads endangering the lives of people as well leading to a stressful and maybe suffering situation for the deer. I am not pro hunting by any means but, I can see some pros to it. Its much better the getting factory farmed meat where animals are tortured.

I am sure someone will hate what I said about overpop but, It just sickens me when I am driving down the highway with the big concrete walls seperating the two sides of the road...and I see an animal laying there. Imagine if you were running across the highway and bam ran into a wall you couldn't get over. Panic ensues and the animal prob started freaking out...then when they try to go back the way they came , hit by a car and left to lay on the side of the road, dead or horribly injured......:-(

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page