When did you notice (you were sensitive toward animals)??? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Beginner

I was just thinking about a past event when I was younger.I was in middle school in science class when a small sparrow flew into the room(the door was open), he began flying into the windows in a desperate attempt to get out. Everybody in the class was laughing their head off.....except me. I felt horrible for this poor bird. I remember I "tried" to laugh about it, to avoid being the only one not laughing. I couldn't though. I was always "the animal lover" for as long as I could remember, but for me that's the event I mostly remember that I kind of realized I was a little different from everybody. So when did you notice or realize that your love for animals was different?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it was getting my current dog

I noticed that he smiles when he's happy, and has a certain kind of panting that is a laugh, and when he's sad his face looks like it's crying but there are no tears.

Then just looking at him for a while, I saw how all his bones are the same as a human's, just different sizes.

It definitely made me consider humans to be animals, instead of being separate somehow.
#3 Old 11-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Also in Biology class, we had to cut up rats. No one else seemed to have a problem with cutting up the pregnant rat and throwing the uteri around..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Beginner

I remember when I was really young I loved eating fish, especially fish sticks. We had a fish tank and I think I put two and two together and when my mom told me we were having fish sticks for dinner that night I cried because I didn't want fish sticks. I never ate fish again. I don't know why it took me almost 20 years later to put "two and two" together with the other animals!
#5 Old 11-16-2008, 05:36 PM

I was driving down the road one day and a car in the lane next to me going the opposite way hit a turtle. The little guy was shot right under my tire. You would have thought I ran o0ver a chid. I cried hysterically! It wasn't even my fault but, I kept thinking about that poor turtle. I always stop and move them to the side of the road into the grass! And if its really not safe, I take them somewhere that is! No that I think about it tho, when I was really young I always wanted to save "birds or eggs" that I would find. Also, ths is horrible...one time when I was prob 8 and in hawaii I was playing on the lava rocks and I saw a crab (it was actually dead so it was the shell of the crab, I didn't know until I later thought about it) I threw a rock at it to get it to move and it didn't and the rock landed right on it! I dreamed about that crab for weeks.
#6 Old 11-16-2008, 08:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I must be the worst person here

I didnt actually realize I was "different" until after making the vegetarian switch... I made the switch because most of my family has had several types of cancers and has had organ failures and every other ailment.... so I want to change that and NOT die in my 60's... so I made the switch to being a vegetarian... after becoming vegetarian I did/and continue to do heaps of research, watched videos, and now I cant stand the senseless unnecessary murdering of animals... before that however I lived on a farm and assisted with the killings of our cows, and chickens without a second thought, it was just "the way life was"... Now however I would go crazy if i were to be present while that happened... and I see it as NOT NECESSARY as we can survive without murdering other living creatures, so why NOT do that???
#7 Old 11-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoveggie View Post

I was just thinking about a past event when I was younger.I was in middle school in science class when a small sparrow flew into the room(the door was open), he began flying into the windows in a desperate attempt to get out. Everybody in the class was laughing their head off.....except me. I felt horrible for this poor bird. I remember I "tried" to laugh about it, to avoid being the only one not laughing. I couldn't though. I was always "the animal lover" for as long as I could remember, but for me that's the event I mostly remember that I kind of realized I was a little different from everybody. So when did you notice or realize that your love for animals was different?

I never had a moment where I noticed my love for animals, I just know, looking back, that it has been there since I was little and it grew over time. I never really realized that my love for animals was different, maybe because I've loved animals as long as I can remember (but I've only had pets since I was about 9).

But there was a time about 6 years ago, when my dad was taking me home from cheerleading practice and there was a dog in the road (looked like either a stray or a dog who had gotten away from his/her home), so Dad slowed down and tried to go around it, but it kept trying to follow our van, so its paw got run over I was really upset about it.
#8 Old 11-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Never.
#9 Old 11-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I stop my car to help lost dogs on the side of the road, and before I could drive, I felt guilty all day if my mom didn't stop for one. Even now, if I'm in a hurry and can't stop I feel guilty for a while and can't get the dog off my mind.
#10 Old 11-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoveggie View Post

thats a really horrible story.

we had a really overzealoused chaffinch who kept trying to attack 'the invader in his territory' (himself reflected in the window) of my classroom when i was 10. i don't think any one of the 36 kids in my class really thought it was funny, just very sad. we tried a lot of things to stop that reflection from happening. only maybe 3 of us were vegetarian.

i don't think you need to be a kind of 'special animal lover' (i'd not identify as such) to understand and feel that suffering isn't funny- in any living creature.

i'd hoped it was kinda the default setting in most people, vegetarian or not... it is where i come from.... but apparently isn't everywhere.
#11 Old 11-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

It was actually just over the summer that I realized that I was very different from the rest of my family. I don't remember what happened (it was too gradual for me to notice), but one day I felt like I was living in a different world from not only my family, but from a lot of the people who I grew up with.
#12 Old 11-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it was when I got my dog.
#13 Old 11-17-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbeeplove View Post

Also in Biology class, we had to cut up rats. No one else seemed to have a problem with cutting up the pregnant rat and throwing the uteri around..

hey, i minded

when i first saw a dead bird, with its wings splayed out in that way and its feathers all wreaked like they usually are. i was 4.
#14 Old 11-17-2008, 06:23 PM

I've always loved animals, and I always used to think everyone else did, too, or at least that everyone had some basic level of respect for other forms of life. Unfortunately, in elementary school, when kids crushed bugs, kicked a dead cat, and laughed when our teacher told us a very graphic story about violence done to an animal, I learned that not everyone feels the same way.

#15 Old 11-17-2008, 06:25 PM

thats pretty sad, kids are pretty cruel when you think about it i suppose. laughing at pain when its genuine is horrible..
#16 Old 11-17-2008, 07:24 PM

There was never a second of my life that I didn't own a dog, literally. I grew up hugging them and what not. But I remember the first time I saw My Dog Skip were the dog died. It hunted me for a lot longer than it should have.
#17 Old 11-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

The day a dog belonging to my neighbor (we lived on a dirt road in rural TX) got hit by the mailman's truck and he didn't know it. The dog was lying in the middle of the dirt road on a hot day, peeing blood, panting and shaking and there was nothing I could do. Finally his owner came home and carried him to the house and put him down on an old rug where he died a bit later. Out in the middle of nowhere, there was no vet. I was just a kid then.

The next was one day when I was in my early 30s, I bought a whole baking chicken. I did that only a couple times before, usually bought parts, but this time when that thing thawed out and I took it out of the wrapping, it's body sprawled out on my kitchen counter top, and I thought, "oh my god!" It took me some time before I could touch it to prepare it for baking.

Okay, so I never bought a whole chicken again. Once it was cooked, it didn't bother me. But, I reacted so strangely that day and it was odd, but I never forgot it. I couldn't buy another whole chicken or turkey again.
#18 Old 12-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I had to resurrect this because I thought of something...

I was the only one in my fourth grade class (now ten years ago) who left the room when the science teacher fed the snake a live mouse. Nicely, the teacher opened the option for us not to watch, but I was the only one who took it.
#19 Old 12-12-2008, 12:51 AM
Veggie Regular

When I was in my science class, and I thought it was wrong to cut open rats and baby pig fetus....but in my school at the time, you couldn't opt out...so...yeah.
#20 Old 12-12-2008, 01:05 AM

I have a bunch of these stories:

Well, there was always that robins egg that I tried to hatch. Didn't know it wouldn't, but I sure did try!

Then, the garden grave yard for all my dead fish. I coulcn't just flush them down the toilet! My mom would find these little jewelry boxes floating around after a hard rain fall. She didn't tell me about it till recently, to which I replied "You burried them again didn't you?!"

Then in elementary school there were the baby chicks that we raised from little eggs. I was so interested. We'd put the light up to the egg to see them grow. Then came time for the baby chicks to go back to the farm. As soon as I realized this I convinced a few other classmates to try to save the chicks. We were hiding those little bird babies everywhere!

The time my whole family kept it from me that we had a mouse in the house. They thought I'd freak out. When I finally saw it I said "Aw! He's cute! Can we keep him?:

Rescuing the baby bunny from a storm drain. I have a pic of me and that little rabbit somewhere.

Almost getting hit by a car to save a turtle in the road.

I of course ended up working at an animal shelter and a few veterinary clinics along the way.

There's many more stories. But you get the point.
#21 Old 12-12-2008, 03:51 AM

I've always been an animal lover. But it became stronger when I got my dog, she had been in a rescue home for a year, no one else wanted her because she has problems with her joints which means she can't go out for walks. It just makes me so sad to think of her in that rescue home for a year.

Now every time I look at her asleep on the sofa I feel really happy that she is finally having the life she deserves.
#22 Old 12-12-2008, 06:12 AM
Beginner

my parents tought me and my brothers to respect animals and we always had cats growing up. my mom had repeatedly tried to be vegetarian her whole life but it never worked out (until i went veg too). in elementary school i thought all the turkey songs we sang at thanksgiving were stupid even though i ate turkey at thanksgiving. and then in high school i switched to soy milk because i heard about the veal industry but i still ate meat lol. then i started cooking with tofu and thought it was really cool, and then finally we dissected a frog in biology and it made me so sad i looked up peta videos, showed them to my mom and we both went vegetarian! i was destined to be a vegan, but it took me 17 years!
#23 Old 12-12-2008, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

It was volunteering at an animal shelter. I had so much sympathy for the dogs and cats that were all just there waiting for a home. My husband and I devoted more time and money to that than any other charitable cause, and we still do. A little over a year ago, I began to think it just didn't make any sense that I loved animals so much, and made such an effort to help shelter animals, yet continued to eat farm animals. I realized there wasn't really any difference between the two groups, and that the farm animals were all intelligent, social animals, just like the dogs and cats. Once I made that connection, I stopped eating meat for good.
#24 Old 12-12-2008, 09:30 AM

I probably wouldn't actually call myself an animal lover. I get pretty annoyed or grossed out when I have to spend any real amount of time with them. That doesn't mean I think it's okay for them to be tortured, just so that my daily heaping of fat can be a little more affordable.

Although learning about factory farming and environmentalism inspired me to eat less meat and research vegetarianism, it wasn't until I learned about all the health benefits that I finally went for it.
#25 Old 12-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been sensitive toward animals since I was born. Literally. My parents had a REALLY mean cat that everyone warned to get ride of before I was born. They couldn't give her up, though, and when I came home, my mom gave her one of my bottles so she could be like the baby too, and she fell in love with me, slept under my playpen, never left my side. I grew up with that cat. My first word was even "kitty cat"... I was raised to be kind to animals, never harm them, etc.

The ironic thing about it is that I am the only vegetarian in my family. Go figure. They're all animal lovers, but can't make the commitment.
#26 Old 12-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbeeplove View Post

Oh man. I have never been able to dissect. All through middle school and high school, I acted like I was cutting up the animals with my group when the teachers walked by, but I never touched a single one. Instead, I let everyone else do it, and I wrote the paper for our group!

When I came to college, I decided to major in biology. It didn't work out so well. I obviously had to take dissecting intensive classes (zoology was a hard one to get through) and I just couldn't handle it. After dissecting a pig (and turning pale white and nearly fainting, mind you), I marched my butt over to my academic advisor and changed my major right there on the spot.
#27 Old 12-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11071995km View Post

There was never a second of my life that I didn't own a dog, literally. I grew up hugging them and what not. But I remember the first time I saw My Dog Skip were the dog died. It hunted me for a lot longer than it should have.

I'm STILL not over My Dog Skip. Such a sweet movie, but it's so sad!!
#28 Old 12-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Banned

i was about six when i first realised that most of them make me sneeze or come out in hives.
#29 Old 12-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Beginner

I have been an animal lover all my life. I have always cared deeply for my pets, and had a huge compassion for other animals. I was always very much against fur and reacted with horror when cats and dogs were abused. I even rescued flies that were trying to get out of the window. Still I was eating animals. It makes mad to think how society desensitized me to the use and suffering the farmed animals had to endure. When I finally put two and two together I was sad to see what a hypocrite I was...

I guess I can't think of a distinct moment were I realized I cared more about animals than most people but reading here made me remember a time (must have been 8-10 years old) when I tried to save a baby bird (magpie) that had fallen out of its nest with no mother around, near my house. He was jumping around crying and I wanted so bad to take care of him and save him. I tried to feed him and made him a little nest out of a shoe box and he never left our yard, but he died just a few days later. None of my friends seemed to understand how heart wrenching this was for me. I still feel bad thinking about it. He was so small and helpless and died such a tragic death.
#30 Old 12-12-2008, 10:51 PM

Honestly all my life...according to my Mom I always Had a strong dislike for meat and would hide it everywhere so that I didnt have to eat it...but as I got older and realized where dinner was coming from...I took a stand and never looked back.

Peace Love and Happiness

Jenn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page