Vegetarianism Debate Speech [help needed] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-13-2008, 05:12 PM

I am in speech this year(eww) and my best friend and I have to give a debate speech next week.

We decided to do vegetarianism due to my being veg and her being a nutrition nut.

The only problem...I have no idea how to write this speech.

Our teacher is zero help and neither of us know what we're doing.

We could argue all day, but an organized speech is tricky.

We're both displaying different health issues that appear in the opposite lifestyles, as well as any other arguments we can support.

I know a lot about factory farms and slaughter-houses, but I can't find much to support the environmental argument, even though I know there is a lot to say.

If anyone has any facts or quotes or anything they think would help it would be most appreciated!

Unfortunately I only have til Tuesday, so wish me luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Livestock is responsible for 18% of greenhouse gas emissions and transportation is only responsible for 13%.

http://www.fao.org/ag/magazine/0612sp1.htm

Have you ever heard of the dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico? Well that is due to agricultural runoff of fertilizers and animal waste. If you eat less meat that means you reduce the amount of animal waste created and also the amount of fertilizer used because of trophic levels.

http://serc.carleton.edu/microbelife/topics/deadzone/

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n..._deadzone.html

It's also good to note that it is the position of the American Dietetics Association that a well planned vegetarian/vegan diet is healthy and can help prevent some diseases.

http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg...3_ENU_HTML.htm
#3 Old 11-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Banned

I wouldn't prepare. I suggest just acquainting yourself with some useful facts and then see where the debate goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Banned

moved from teen forum
#5 Old 11-15-2008, 11:39 AM

I am in speech this year(eww) and my best friend and I have to give a debate speech next week.

We decided to do vegetarianism due to my being veg and her being a nutrition nut.

We're both displaying different health issues that appear in the opposite lifestyles, as well as any other arguments we can support.

Her main arguments just seem to be pregnancy, malnutrition, and anemia

I know a lot about factory farms and slaughter-houses, but I can't find much to support the environmental argument, even though I know there is a lot to say.

If anyone has any facts or quotes or anything they think would help it would be most appreciated!

#6 Old 11-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary.09 View Post

Her main arguments just seem to be pregnancy, malnutrition, and anemia

I could definetly slaughter (get it) her argument. Studies have shown that a vegetarian does not at all affect pregnancy (Becoming Vegan, written by doctors). Studies also show that eating fish (tuna's always recommended when pregnant) can make your baby dumber, not to mention fish that icky mercury!

Malnutrition only occurs when you don't take care of yourself(same thing with anemia) and can also happen to omnivores. Lots of women are living proof of the healthiness of a vegan diet. She should read The China Study(it might help you with your debate, too).

Link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environ..._vegetarianism

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page