Not buying meat again - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh my gosh...

Ok MOst of my family eats meat in front of me, and I ignore it mostly. However this w/e we are going camping. I did the shopping yesterday evening and bought some food for the omnis as well. I got heaps of veggies and stuff that we will eat, but they asked that I buy some meat for them as well. and I mean, 3 months ago I used to grab meat at the shops all the time, but since I have gone vegetarian I haven't even been in the meat section. I have avoided it (been veggo for 3 months now)

So yesterday I went to grab them some meat. I went into the meat section and just stopped. all I could smell was meat, and it was so overwhelming. I almost wanted to puke... Im not even exaggerating. All I could smell was the raw flesh smell, and it is truly disgusting. and I was looking at the meat and just couldnt bring myself to touch it and compare etc... so I quickly found one bbq pack grabbed it (w/out gettin any blood on me yuck) and put it in the shopping trolley away from everything else...

I just wanted to say buying meat was one of the worst experiences ever. I didnt think it would affect me so much, I mean it used to be normal. I was looking and thinking, that was a cow, that was a pig, that was a sheep... oh geesh.

Anyhow, I came home and told my partner how it made me feel and that unfortunately he would have to buy his own meat b/c it was revolting for me to do so... and he apologized and said thats fine.. (he eats vegetarian most of the time anyhow, so wont be heaps of meat as he is more likely to let me buy groceries)

SO have any of you had an eye opening experience like this? sort of shock value that makes you see how vegetarianism, veganism has changed you??? please share
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirpa1 View Post

Oh my gosh...

Ok MOst of my family eats meat in front of me, and I ignore it mostly. However this w/e we are going camping. I did the shopping yesterday evening and bought some food for the omnis as well. I got heaps of veggies and stuff that we will eat, but they asked that I buy some meat for them as well. and I mean, 3 months ago I used to grab meat at the shops all the time, but since I have gone vegetarian I haven't even been in the meat section. I have avoided it (been veggo for 3 months now)

So yesterday I went to grab them some meat. I went into the meat section and just stopped. all I could smell was meat, and it was so overwhelming. I almost wanted to puke... Im not even exaggerating. All I could smell was the raw flesh smell, and it is truly disgusting. and I was looking at the meat and just couldnt bring myself to touch it and compare etc... so I quickly found one bbq pack grabbed it (w/out gettin any blood on me yuck) and put it in the shopping trolley away from everything else...

I just wanted to say buying meat was one of the worst experiences ever. I didnt think it would affect me so much, I mean it used to be normal. I was looking and thinking, that was a cow, that was a pig, that was a sheep... oh geesh.

Anyhow, I came home and told my partner how it made me feel and that unfortunately he would have to buy his own meat b/c it was revolting for me to do so... and he apologized and said thats fine.. (he eats vegetarian most of the time anyhow, so wont be heaps of meat as he is more likely to let me buy groceries)

SO have any of you had an eye opening experience like this? sort of shock value that makes you see how vegetarianism, veganism has changed you??? please share

I've only been Vegan for about a year, but I can't believe how much I've changed in that time. I can't even go anywhere near the meat department of grocery stores, it makes me gag! I used to be the kind of person who lived on beef jerky, too, truthfully, and my family is in shock over my transformation, lol. Also, I pretty much only use two parts of grocery stores these days; the produce department and the bread department. =] It's weird; I often forget what the other parts of the store are for!

My fiance asked me to get him a steak from the grocery store the other day, and I just stared at him. He got my message, laughed, and hasn't asked me to do it again.
#3 Old 10-23-2008, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Shifter View Post

I've only been Vegan for about a year, but I can't believe how much I've changed in that time. I can't even go anywhere near the meat department of grocery stores, it makes me gag! I used to be the kind of person who lived on beef jerky, too, truthfully, and my family is in shock over my transformation, lol.

Yea well I think 3 months isn't that long, but I guessit has brought about alot of changes really. And I thought buying it for them wouldnt bother me b/c I wasnt going to consume any of it... BUt yea, I was just stopped in my tracks trying not to breathe in the smell...

and then when I went to check out, the girl almost put the meat in with my vegetarian stuff.. I just said no no no, that needs a seperate bag please. If I don't eat it, why do I want blood all over my clean products???

So yea, That's not happening again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep, that'll happen to you. In my opinion it's the moment that you become forever vegetarian (or vegan if you get that feeling about milk and eggs). The moment that your worldview has changed enough that you see things for as they are. And it's a good thing.
#5 Old 10-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binary Dragon View Post

Yep, that'll happen to you. In my opinion it's the moment that you become forever vegetarian (or vegan if you get that feeling about milk and eggs). The moment that your worldview has changed enough that you see things for as they are. And it's a good thing.

Yea, well last week I went to have eggs for breakfast and my partners mom usually gets free range. but I looked and they were cage eggs... and I coulnt eat them. So I thought, i could do without eggs, I dont need them anyhow... so I havent had eggs in over a week now.

and as for milk, I am trying different ones, I like chocolate soy milk... and rarely have milk but mayb once a day in coffee. soon as I find a substitute for that I will switch too. I also dont use butter anymore, I use a non-dairy vegan butter. But I still have vegetarian cheese, and rarely milk. But when I find decent alternatives, they too will go...

I went vegetarian for health reasons... but it's becoming ethical more and more as I go along. and I can't just thionk of it as meat, it was an innocent animal being eaten by a selfish person... and yea.. I have changed attitudes with eggs.. so hopefully milk and cheese are next in line to go
#6 Old 10-23-2008, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm the same way. I avoid the meat section all together. It stinks. I also hate the deli section where the hang the whole bbq chickens in the glass case... It reminds me of piles and piles of dead bodies, like in the holocaust or something. It's sick.

ALSO, I remember buying meat for my husband once a few months after I became vegetarian. For some reason I found myself feeling really embarrassed going through the till, like I wanted to tell the cashier that it "wasn't for me!" or something. Hahaha... it was a very bizarre feeling.
#7 Old 10-23-2008, 07:09 PM

Last weekend my DH wanted me to pick him up a meat lovers pizza on my way home (I had already had supper at my parents). I thought no big deal since I'm not eating it. Everything was fine until the smell filled my vehicle. I had about a 10 minute drive of trying not to throw up from the smell. I kept gagging & finally had to roll down the window to get the smell out. It was sooooo cold, but sooooo much better. I gag now just thinking about it.
#8 Old 10-23-2008, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

and as for milk, I am trying different ones, I like chocolate soy milk... and rarely have milk but mayb once a day in coffee. soon as I find a substitute for that I will switch too. I also dont use butter anymore, I use a non-dairy vegan butter. But I still have vegetarian cheese, and rarely milk. But when I find decent alternatives, they too will go...

Don't hold your breathe on vegan cheese. I haven't tried any, but my understanding is that nothing is quite right. Though if myself and Maine Flaim are any indication, you end up not missing cheese half as much as you though you would. Maybe at some point you might want to just try not having it for a week or two, to see how much you feel you really need it. It'd make sense to me for you to try it, especially if you went veg originally for health reasons, as cheese clearly is not healthy. Of course, only you can decide what's best for you, but that seems to me like a decent way to help figure it out.
#9 Old 10-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane View Post

ALSO, I remember buying meat for my husband once a few months after I became vegetarian. For some reason I found myself feeling really embarrassed going through the till, like I wanted to tell the cashier that it "wasn't for me!" or something. Hahaha... it was a very bizarre feeling.

I've had that same feeling, having to pick up something for my mother in the past. I also have to grab a plastic fruit bag to put the meat in so it doesn't touch anything.

Thankfully, I don't have to do that anymore and I always be sure to have all my veg stuff and soy milk with the labels facing so everyone can see them.... I think I have too much time on my hands
#10 Old 10-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Beginner

My moment of "Yup, I'm a veggie for life" was when I saw people eating chicken wings and having to walk away before I vomited. It didn't used to bother me when I was still eating meat, but now I can't be around people and chicken wings. All that grease and skin pulling and tendon breaking :barf:
#11 Old 10-23-2008, 10:55 PM
Veggie Regular

It's weird, most of the time I can switch off from people eating cooked meat in front of me, but when I see chunks of flesh in cling wrap in the supermarket or in a friend or relatives fridge, it does make me shudder.....that raw red look is so much more confronting.
#12 Old 10-23-2008, 11:03 PM

I sooo agree....I have a really hard time going by the meat section..Grosses me out.
#13 Old 10-23-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-anti-fur View Post

I sooo agree....I have a really hard time going by the meat section..Grosses me out.

When I walk in that section and see all the meat, I feel strange and have to leave that section.
#14 Old 10-24-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane View Post

I'm the same way. I avoid the meat section all together. It stinks. I also hate the deli section where the hang the whole bbq chickens in the glass case... It reminds me of piles and piles of dead bodies, like in the holocaust or something. It's sick.

Same here. Walking past a butchers horrifies me. I look at the people going in and it seems like the world is insane. I used to go into a butchers to get chicken for my husband when I was vegetarian though but now I'm vegan it seems like my whole view has changed.
#15 Old 10-24-2008, 07:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I feel nauseated in the meat section. When my husband and I go to the grocery store, I just let him visit that section by himself while I go cheerfully off to shop for my veggie burgers or something.
#16 Old 10-24-2008, 06:46 PM
Beginner

i have to admit i get more than grossed out in the meat section, i get kinda weepy and sad. it's one thing seeing one cooked piece of meat, but a whole section of raw, dead animal flesh wrapped in plastic....i really cant take it lol
#17 Old 10-24-2008, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hicuphinduchest View Post

i have to admit i get more than grossed out in the meat section, i get kinda weepy and sad. it's one thing seeing one cooked piece of meat, but a whole section of raw, dead animal flesh wrapped in plastic....i really cant take it lol

Yea I know what u mean! I was in the section, and trying to find something for my partner, and I did almost start crying. It feels so strange because it used to be normal, and ok... but now I just cant comprehend it... Like even ta lights when I see cows or pigs being transported to be slaughtered, it can bring tears to my eyes and I have to look away. same with the meat section
#18 Old 10-24-2008, 07:51 PM

*Lisa hugs lirpa*
#19 Old 10-24-2008, 10:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwalkersgirl View Post

*Lisa hugs lirpa*

aww thanks
#20 Old 10-25-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binary Dragon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty View Post

I've had that same feeling, having to pick up something for my mother in the past. I also have to grab a plastic fruit bag to put the meat in so it doesn't touch anything.

Thankfully, I don't have to do that anymore and I always be sure to have all my veg stuff and soy milk with the labels facing so everyone can see them.... I think I have too much time on my hands

Quote:

aww thanks

You're very welcome... I love hugging other people, especially when they're Australian and a vegetarian or vegan hehe
#21 Old 10-25-2008, 12:56 AM
Banned

Quote:

oh my gosh...

Ok most of my family eats meat in front of me, and i ignore it mostly. However this w/e we are going camping. I did the shopping yesterday evening and bought some food for the omnis as well. I got heaps of veggies and stuff that we will eat, but they asked that i buy some meat for them as well. And i mean, 3 months ago i used to grab meat at the shops all the time, but since i have gone vegetarian i haven't even been in the meat section. I have avoided it (been veggo for 3 months now)

so yesterday i went to grab them some meat. I went into the meat section and just stopped. All i could smell was meat, and it was so overwhelming. I almost wanted to puke... Im not even exaggerating. All i could smell was the raw flesh smell, and it is truly disgusting. And i was looking at the meat and just couldnt bring myself to touch it and compare etc... So i quickly found one bbq pack grabbed it (w/out gettin any blood on me yuck) and put it in the shopping trolley away from everything else...

I just wanted to say buying meat was one of the worst experiences ever. I didnt think it would affect me so much, i mean it used to be normal. I was looking and thinking, that was a cow, that was a pig, that was a sheep... Oh geesh.

Anyhow, i came home and told my partner how it made me feel and that unfortunately he would have to buy his own meat b/c it was revolting for me to do so... And he apologized and said thats fine.. (he eats vegetarian most of the time anyhow, so wont be heaps of meat as he is more likely to let me buy groceries)

so have any of you had an eye opening experience like this? Sort of shock value that makes you see how vegetarianism, veganism has changed you??? Please share

****k u damn hippie you probalyl sneak in the zoo at night to suck the penisses of elephants hoe asss girl.
#22 Old 10-25-2008, 06:21 AM

Quote:

Like even ta lights when I see cows or pigs being transported to be slaughtered, it can bring tears to my eyes and I have to look away.(

And those lorries with stacks and stacks of live chickens in little cartons is actually horrific
#23 Old 10-25-2008, 07:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejey View Post

And those lorries with stacks and stacks of live chickens in little cartons is actually horrific

And pigs. It makes me think of Jews being transported in Nazi death trains to concentration camps. Why is this legal? Why is murder of animals legal?
#24 Old 11-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

Walking past a butchers horrifies me. I look at the people going in and it seems like the world is insane.

I feel the same way. I can't believe I used to think eating animals was "normal" (just typing that disgusts me). Most people are so desensitized when it comes to consuming meat and other animal products. Even I admit that I would dismiss vegans as, essentially, weird social pariahs, but as I've matured and become more open-minded, I understand the reasons for not wanting to eat any animal products. The main offender is meat, in my opinion, but my thoughts on dairy and eggs have also changed since they come from animals... I wouldn't drink a human's breastmilk... so the idea of drinking/eating something that comes from an animal's body is very offputting to me now. I think that if more people really thought about it, they would give vegetarianism a try. It's all due to being conditioned and wanting to conform to social norms. Yay for being different and freethinking!
#25 Old 11-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejey View Post

I was on a bus behind one of those lorries once. It made me cry. Those poor things! People have long discussions on how to transport a cat a mile to the vet, and then chickens get treated like that? The way people discriminate between "domestic pets" and "livestock" amazes me sometimes, it truly does.
#26 Old 11-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes this has happen to me,, i cant stand the smell of meat, My neighbors were cooking and I could smell the meat down the stairs, and I nearly puked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page