"Popular" kids found out I was vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-13-2003, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Yesterday at school we were cooking some Japanese dish in Japanese class, with egg, cheese and bacon. Obviously I wasn't going to eat it.

The vegetarian in the class (halfway between the popular group and the rest of us in status) asked if she could make it without the bacon. The answer was yes, she could. So her group made a vegetarian version. They asked me if I wanted to join their group, because they knew I didin't eat meat. I said, "No, I'm not going to have any" but didn't elaborate.

Later on my friends were talking to the "Queen" (The head of the popluar group) and they were talking about why I wasn't having any.

i heard my friend say, "Well, she's a vegan."

And then both the populars yelled, "Oh my God! Seriously? A VEGAN?!" and things liek that.

Then they said, "But what does she EAT?" and rushed over to talk to me.

I got the old, "But you only eat vegetables right?" and I set them straight on that. I told them I eat everything... EXCEPT animal products.

Then one of them started quizzing me on where I get my vitamins (yeah, all that Vitamin C I used to get from meat) and where I got my iron.

I mentioned something about quinoa and she said, "WTF is Keen-Wa?"

I said, "It's a grain." and she rushes back over to her friends and says really loudly, "She eats KEEN WA!!"

It was so damn funny. Even though they're supposedly the snobs of school, they're pretty decent people, and we get along alright.

They were just astounded. I'm surprised they didn't know actually. A lot of people do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-13-2003, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, many people think of a big pile of vegetables when they hear veg*n. They seem to forget about bread, pasta, beans, rice, potatoes, mushrooms, spices, fruits, veg*n soups and sauces, vegan mayo, "ice cream" and "butter," bagels, cereals, nuts, corn, soy milk, soft drinks, and other vegan substitutes (meats, chocolate, etc.), just to name a few things. Ignorance sucks.
#3 Old 11-13-2003, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't pronounce 'quinoa' either... My friend asked me what it was when I brought it to school one day, and I just told her it was "some type of grain... it's really good!"

I've gotten "so all you eat is vegetables?" before too. I told them no, all I don't eat is meat, fish, poultry, or eggs. (i'm a lacto-veggie) Then they say "that's hard, i couldn't be a vegetarian" and I say it's not that hard, you just start eating different foods when you're a vegetarian. (You can tell i've had that conversation quite a few times)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-14-2003, 03:47 AM
Veggie Regular

lol im a vegan and i didnt know what it is either, but dont you love it how the "populars" have such super intelligent reactions? :P
#5 Old 11-14-2003, 07:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I know - It was just so funny. i was trying not to laugh because they were so shocked, and so intensely curious.

What's the bet I'm the first vegan they ever met?
#6 Old 11-14-2003, 07:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I regret telling people I was vegan, I usualy get at leat 2 stupid questions a day and whenever the word vegetarian or vegan is mentioned in cooking everyone stares at me for a few seconds.
#7 Old 11-14-2003, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

the way i see it is if you can set a few people straight on what veganism really is and how much you can still eat and enjoy as a vegan, they might go home and think about it, do some research, and make the switch themselves. the more people who go vegan the less animals that suffer. so i'm pretty open to stupid questions. they're annoying most of the time, but i smile politely and answer as best i can without sounding impatient. and when people try to start debates on the subject i don't let them rope me in anymore. if other people see you arguing about it with someone they'll assume you started it and are being "preachy" even if it's not the case, and that will turn them right off the whole subject. patience goes a long way basically.

it's good that they were curious though and willing to go ask you about it seriously. if i were vegan back in school the popular kids probably would have used it to make fun of me at any given opportunity. and likely throw meat at me in the cafeteria and halls. that's how my school was.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#8 Old 11-14-2003, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

It doesn't get any better when you're a full fledged adult either, people still ask stupid questions. Anyway, it sounds like you handled it with grace. I would even suggest to go as far to bring some quinoa to the "Queen" Tell her how low fat it is, she's guarenteed to love it. Also, if you're interested I have a good vegan miso soup recipe if you're so inclined!
#9 Old 11-14-2003, 08:22 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly View Post

Yesterday at school we were cooking some Japanese dish in Japanese class, with egg, cheese and bacon.

What struck me right off about this was, of all the delicious Japanese cuisine out there, the teacher chose to have you all make a dish with eggs, cheese, and bacon? How weird. Way to take what could have been a great class on cooking with unfamiliar ingredients (rice or soba noodles, edamame, etc.) and Americanizing it.

Anyway, I agree with the others - you handled it really well.
#10 Old 11-14-2003, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_81 View Post

What struck me right off about this was, of all the delicious Japanese cuisine out there, the teacher chose to have you all make a dish with eggs, cheese, and bacon? How weird.

That's what I thought too when I first read it.... very strange.
#11 Old 11-14-2003, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
if i were vegan back in school the popular kids probably would have used it to make fun of me at any given opportunity. and likely throw meat at me in the cafeteria and halls. that's how my school was.

Thats like my school, how I hate school except for Japanese Lessons

Oh and yeah the recipie has been americanised like almost every other food product from other countries. Dominos here have the freakiest pizza theres loads of freaky ones like the wedges pizza.
#12 Old 11-14-2003, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_81 View Post

What struck me right off about this was, of all the delicious Japanese cuisine out there, the teacher chose to have you all make a dish with eggs, cheese, and bacon? How weird. Way to take what could have been a great class on cooking with unfamiliar ingredients (rice or soba noodles, edamame, etc.) and Americanizing it.

Anyway, I agree with the others - you handled it really well.

It was called something like Okonomarimasu or something long and weird sounding like that. Basically, it was egg, flour and probably water to make like a better, with vegetables, cheese and bacon it it. Then they fried it and covered it in sauce. So kind of like mini omelettes with flour in them. And we actually had a Japanese guy in there to help us cook em so I guess it was authentic, but yeah, why not pick something GOOD to make? Like tofu.

Quote:
Also, if you're interested I have a good vegan miso soup recipe if you're so inclined!

I'm very interested!
#13 Old 11-14-2003, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly View Post

It was called something like Okonomarimasu or something long and weird sounding like that. Basically, it was egg, flour and probably water to make like a better, with vegetables, cheese and bacon it it. Then they fried it and covered it in sauce. So kind of like mini omelettes with flour in them. And we actually had a Japanese guy in there to help us cook em so I guess it was authentic, but yeah, why not pick something GOOD to make? Like tofu.

I'm very interested!

if my japanese is correct, i think it is called "okonomiyaki" - it sounds like what you are explaining, an omlete type fried dish.

yaki means to grill .....

mmmmm tofu
#14 Old 11-14-2003, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by with_open_eyes View Post

if my japanese is correct, i think it is called "okonomiyaki" - it sounds like what you are explaining, an omlete type fried dish.

yaki means to grill .....

mmmmm tofu

Yup, that's the one!
#15 Old 11-14-2003, 09:13 PM
Banned

Maybe you started a new trend with the "popular" kids, Gnarly. That wouldn't be so bad!
#16 Old 11-14-2003, 11:13 PM

I'm in the same boat as michael_veggie as far as school goes. I live were it is practicaly a sin not to hunt. Since it is the opening of riffle hunting thats all anyone ever talks about in class. It is so hard for me not to gag. I know i'm droning about myself but i will add one more fact about me. My birthday falls on Thanksgiving this year and i don't think my non-veg family is going to make my birthday/thanksgiving a veggie friendly night.
#17 Old 11-15-2003, 03:04 AM
Veggie Regular

What's the bet I'm the first vegan they ever met? [/QUOTE]

lol I AM the first vegan ive ever met

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page