Cleaning up others meaty dishes - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Does is bother you? I usually clean up the kitchen when my moms at work, but my dad always leaves dishes with bloody steak juice, and pans with chicken juice...ect..all over the kitchen.

And he always tells me I need to clean up my dishes...but he leaves his all over the place so I have to clean them up.

Do you have to clean up others dishes, and does it bother you when they have meat/ gravy/ meat juice all over them??

It really grosses me out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I will not clean up meat dishes. My husband knows this and he always cleans up after himself.

Thankfully, in our house the dishes are his job anyway, so all I have to do is rinse my own dishes and put them in the dishwasher.
#3 Old 10-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Banned

i don't have to, but if they're in a pile of mixed stuff, or i'm tidying around them anyway, it seems a bit silly and likely to cause arguments if i do half the job, and leave 2 plates, a fork, etc on the counter. plates and cutlery can be put in the dishwasher quickly and done and gone before i think about it too much. and at least then i don't need to see or smell them anymore.

things like scrubbing out roasting pans aint gonna happen though- i'll put them in the sink, cover them in hot water and dishsoap and let them soak. if they're still there in a week, really not my problem.

gloves really help- then you don't need to touch the grossness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I just plain hate doing dishes! I would not clean up noticeable animal remains, were I in your situation. I wouldn't care just on the principle, alone, but getting all up in the blood and juices... ick.

I don't know what to tell you by way of advice though. You could try compromising - if he rinses off the excess junk you'll suck it up and clean the rest?

It's easy for me to say this now at 32 years old. In my parents' household, you'd clean up and shut up because you didn't work 60+ hours last week to get that food on the plate in the first place.
#5 Old 10-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Banned

This idea especially sucks if you happen to be a part-time dishwasher.
#6 Old 10-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

By the time things get to my sink, pretty much everything's gross. I live with a brother who will occasionally make himself steak and a roommate who will do fish or eggs on occasion. Cleaning-wise, the mess is like any of my stuff... It's gross, but I touch it to clean it. I am occasionally reminded of how glad I am that I did not ingest any of the saturated fat that has now hardened onto the pan steak was cooked in.
#7 Old 10-20-2008, 01:50 PM

Ewww I don't think I could do that unless I was forced, especially not anything with blood on it.

Saying that I clean up my cat's dishes so I suppose I do it in a way, but they can't do it for themselves so I have to.
#8 Old 10-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

In my house we scrap compostable scraps into the compost bin, and throw everything else (napkins, etc.) out, then, we have a designated person to just load eveything in the washer. I don't mind doing that. At that point, it's just the meat juices/burnt parts left. I don't want to make a scene, and it's barely any meat at all.
#9 Old 10-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

If this is one of your assigned chores, then well...that's what you do. Not all chores are pretty.

I live alone, but when my bro comes over he'll order in something for each of us and I'll certainly clean up after him. He's not only family, he's also a guest...and just treated me to dinner!

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#10 Old 10-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Luckily, being vegan and living alone, I don't run into this. However, if I did, I'd rather clean things up than just let things sit. I would probably tend to think of it like I would cleaning up pet vomit or something- something yucky that needs to go.
#11 Old 10-20-2008, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

Saying that I clean up my cat's dishes so I suppose I do it in a way, but they can't do it for themselves so I have to.

Me too, I clean up my cats' dishes but if I had to clean up a human's I'd probably use my veg*ism as an excuse to get out of it!
#12 Old 10-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I clean meaty dishes sometimes, but it always grosses me out. I hate the smell (today we're having tacos. The smell makes me sick), and I'd rather not touch exposed muscle.
#13 Old 10-20-2008, 11:44 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

I refuse to wash dishes.

I don't even use many, anyways. My sisters use almost all the plates/bowls/cups/etc almost every day.

The only thing 'meat' I'll touch is cat/dog food and cat/dog treats. Then I'll wash my hands for 5 minutes afterwards.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#14 Old 10-20-2008, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

When my ex was living here, he CONSTANTLY left his meaty gross dishes in the sink w/out rinsing them. It bothered me when I got stuck cleaning them (which was most the time). Now I don't have that problem. Anyone who eats here properly rinses their dishes, so I have no problem washing them.
#15 Old 10-21-2008, 12:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I touch meaty dishes all the time, clearing them off tables at my restaurant.

You can develop a sense of clinical detachment so you don't actually think about it when you touch them.

It's helpful

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#16 Old 10-21-2008, 06:13 AM
Veggie Regular

My boyfriend eats veg at home, so the only meaty dishes are catfood dishes, and I don't have a problem washing them if they don't clean them themselves (though I do use an old sponge).

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#17 Old 10-21-2008, 07:36 AM
Veggie Regular

No meaty dishes here, just me & my fiancee and neither of us eats meat.

When I was still at my parents (or when I visit), I'd just wash all of the dishes except for the really nasty meat ones, like if a roast was cooked in a roasting pan. That I'd leave for someone else, and my parents were cool with it
#18 Old 10-21-2008, 08:03 AM

Meaty dishes pass through my hands every day as i work in a kitchen. Not only do i have to wash the dishes but i also prepare the food. As i prepare the food for my omni son and husband at home as well it's not too much of a hassle for me however if i lived alone and was only answerable to myself then i'd be much less inclined to prepare meat dishes and clean them.
#19 Old 10-21-2008, 11:15 AM

If you're a vegetarian for moral/environmental/health reasons, I don't see how it does anyone any good to be squeamish about touching or being near meat. That's only an acceptable excuse to get out of washing-up if you're a 'BUT HOW COULD YOU EAT THE CUTE MOO-COWS?!?!?!' sort of vegetarian.
#20 Old 10-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejey View Post

If you're a vegetarian for moral/environmental/health reasons, I don't see how it does anyone any good to be squeamish about touching or being near meat. That's only an acceptable excuse to get out of washing-up if you're a 'BUT HOW COULD YOU EAT THE CUTE MOO-COWS?!?!?!' sort of vegetarian.

Maybe I am. What's it to you?

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#21 Old 10-21-2008, 01:05 PM

It doesn't bother me too much. Or more truthfully, it's not a battle I feel like picking with my husband. (To clarify, he doesn't leave hunks of meat or bloody pools on plates, he's a good boy and scrapes/rinses his plate....I just load the dishwasher)

I am no fan of blood though, even back as an omni. I never bought red meat, I couldn't handle preparing it for myself. My husband will clean the cutting boards if he's used them, so I rarely have to deal with it. I can deal with people-blood just fine, but a steak makes me squeamish.
#22 Old 10-21-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:

If people are 'squeamish' about blood and flesh and animal fats being on dishes and don't want to touch them, it's quite understandable I think.
#23 Old 10-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

My reasons for not cleaning up meaty dishes are simply the following:

1. They aren't my dishes. In our house, each of us rinses our own dishes and puts them in the dishwasher. Then we run the dishwasher and one of us puts the clean dishes away (this, I will do.) It's simply an equal division of chores.

2. I'm a vegetarian for moral, environmental AND health reasons. Nonetheless, I don't like touching or being near animal fat, blood, bones, juices, etc. It saddens me to think about the animal's suffering and death. Having compassion doesn't mean that one's only reason for being veg*n is "BUT HOW COULD YOU EAT THE CUTE MOO-COWS?!?!?!"

3. My husband understands both of the above reasons, is fine with it, takes responsibility for himself like a grownup, and doesn't expect me to clean up after him (whether he's eating meat or not.)

-Ash
#24 Old 10-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

If people are 'squeamish' about blood and flesh and animal fats being on dishes and don't want to touch them, it's quite understandable I think.

Thanks. Lol. And I am one of those "But how could you eat the cute moo cows?" types. I suppose thats what you would call me at least. I'm in it cause I don't like the way animals are slaughtered, and I don't need to clean up others meaty dishes. My mom cleans up after herself, and so do I, but my dad and brother leave their dishes everywhere. My brother doesn't eat much meat tho, so I still clean up his. But my dad likes to grill, and roast alot...so when it comes to him leaving a roasting pan on the counter, or a cutting board with steak juice on it...thats where I have the problem with it.

I know he works 5 days a week, but its not that hard to wash off the dishes. I'm not asking him to load the dishwasher or anything. Just rinse them off, and put them in the other side of the sink. Simple task.
#25 Old 10-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilurvebroccoli View Post

Thanks. Lol. And I am one of those "But how could you eat the cute moo cows?" types. I suppose thats what you would call me at least. I'm in it cause I don't like the way animals are slaughtered, and I don't need to clean up others meaty dishes. My mom cleans up after herself, and so do I, but my dad and brother leave their dishes everywhere. My brother doesn't eat much meat tho, so I still clean up his. But my dad likes to grill, and roast alot...so when it comes to him leaving a roasting pan on the counter, or a cutting board with steak juice on it...thats where I have the problem with it.

I know he works 5 days a week, but its not that hard to wash off the dishes. I'm not asking him to load the dishwasher or anything. Just rinse them off, and put them in the other side of the sink. Simple task.

See, I think another part of the reason I don't ever clean meaty dishes is because there's no need to. I don't have this situation some of you seem to where there are dishes all over the place... I don't get that.

For my husband and me, when one of us is done eating or cooking with a dish, we immediately rinse it and put it in the dishwasher (or wash it, if it's something that doesn't go in the dishwasher.) So there's not really a question of who's supposed to clean it up. If it's your dish you clean it up. Simple.
#26 Old 10-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Beginner

I have to. fast food meat dishes filled with crusty animal fats that sticks to everything! I work at Jack N the box every night shift I'm doing dishes. ick!
#27 Old 10-22-2008, 06:35 PM

I do it, but really, its always grossed me out.

But I'd rather clean it than have to smell it rotting in the sink.

Luckily, my cat will eat my boyfriend's meat scraps most of the time.
#28 Old 10-22-2008, 06:53 PM

I wont do meaty dishes. But theres no reason anyone here shouldn't put their dish in the dishwasher after their done eating anyway. So, I never do dishes.
#29 Old 10-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't and won't
#30 Old 10-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Not a chance. I won't cook it, buy it, or do anything else with it either. If someone wants animal products, they can deal with it themselves.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page