people eating meat in front of you - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-11-2008, 02:28 PM

do you get mad when people especially your close friends eat meat in front of you?

most of my close friends try not to eat it in front of me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

No.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#3 Old 10-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

No, not really. My family, friends and bf all eat meat with me, but they also make sure I have enough nice food to eat as well, and that's good for me. I don't feel they should be under any obligation to change their eating habits in my presence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Same here. It doesn't bother me. I'm in it for the animals, and if others want to eat meat, they can. I'm not going to stop them.
#5 Old 10-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

No. That would be absurd. I can't force other people not to eat meat, only myself.
#6 Old 10-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazikeen View Post

no, not really. My family, friends and bf all eat meat with me, but they also make sure i have enough nice food to eat as well, and that's good for me. I don't feel they should be under any obligation to change their eating habits in my presence.

qtf
#7 Old 10-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Not at all. I know people sometimes feel uncomfortable eating meat around me, but that's just their guilty conscience.

I don't mind in the slightest. I'm really used to it- I manage a restaurant that serves meat.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#8 Old 10-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

It used to make me feel like I was going to throw up, but you have to learn to live with it if you want to have a social life.

It's always really touching when one of my friends skips meat in a meal to respect my beliefs. And a little depressing that not once has my boyfriend ever offered to do so--even when I was buying...
#9 Old 10-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

nope
#10 Old 10-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

No.

this.
#11 Old 10-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjohnnydepp View Post

do you get mad when people especially your close friends eat meat in front of you?

most of my close friends try not to eat it in front of me

Nope.

I like it when people respect my choices, so I try my darnedest to respect theirs.

What I get mad about (like today) is when people wave their meat or animal products in my face and say, "Mmmmm, it tastes so good, why don't you have just a little bit?" In my mind, that's totally disrespectful and juvenile.
#12 Old 10-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

It bothers me to know that they are contributing to the abuse of innocent beings. But.. I just try to ignore it as best I can, and just enjoy their company instead. I DO get very aggrivated when people say, "I'm eating a nice, bloody steak tonight" to rub it in my face, though! I had a friend who started out very respectful, but then seemed to get a sadistic satisfaction out of saying things like that over time. Not very nice!
#13 Old 10-11-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolinCyndee View Post

I DO get very aggrivated when people say, "I'm eating a nice, bloody steak tonight" to rub it in my face, though! I had a friend who started out very respectful, but then seemed to get a sadistic satisfaction out of saying things like that over time. Not very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccolichick View Post

What I get mad about (like today) is when people wave their meat or animal products in my face and say, "Mmmmm, it tastes so good, why don't you have just a little bit?" In my mind, that's totally disrespectful and juvenile.

Why in the hell do people do that?! It is the most infuriating thing ever. I don't mind the endless stupid questions from omnis; I don't even mind them eating meat in front of me; but I defintitely mind when they wave their baby back ribs directly in my face and once I even had my sister try to spoon-feed meat to me as a joke, it wasn't funny

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
#14 Old 10-11-2008, 07:35 PM

But even if you know you can't change their opinion just by preaching and *****ing, does it not bother you when you 'know' their doing something wrong? And they're doing it in front of you, so you can't avoid it? And that really, one person (you) makes little difference overall? So if they weren't eating meat right now, the world would be a better place? And that since they're eating meat despite your vegan presence, they're aware of the moral implications of the meat they're eating, but they still don't care? And that even though you like and respect them as people, you respect them that lil bit less because they're contributing to cruelty?

It kinda does bother me, yeah.
#15 Old 10-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejey View Post

But even if you know you can't change their opinion just by preaching and *****ing, does it not bother you when you 'know' their doing something wrong? And they're doing it in front of you, so you can't avoid it? And that really, one person (you) makes little difference overall? So if they weren't eating meat right now, the world would be a better place? And that since they're eating meat despite your vegan presence, they're aware of the moral implications of the meat they're eating, but they still don't care? And that even though you like and respect them as people, you respect them that lil bit less because they're contributing to cruelty?

Me too.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#16 Old 10-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I certainly don't like it when everyone I know thinks it's the most hilarious thing in the world to say "You know, that wouldn't happen to you if you ate meat." whenever I complain about something. Even if I say "Gah. That test was really hard for me!" They'll say "well, if you ate meat it wouldn't have been so hard."

GRAWR.

But eating meat in front of me, I don't mind. I just ignore it.
#17 Old 10-11-2008, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular

It bothers me to see meat in front of me, eaten or otherwise. But I realize that people think of it as food, and the fact that they eat it in front of me doesn't bother me. The bothersomeness comes from the object, not the action.
#18 Old 10-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrple View Post

I certainly don't like it when everyone I know thinks it's the most hilarious thing in the world to say "You know, that wouldn't happen to you if you ate meat." whenever I complain about something. Even if I say "Gah. That test was really hard for me!" They'll say "well, if you ate meat it wouldn't have been so hard."

That wouldn't happen to you if you ate meat.
#19 Old 10-11-2008, 10:47 PM

It doesnt really phase me.. I work in a sushi bar. Selling meat to people is a little tough for me but I understand it is business and they're going to eat it reguardless of who the waitress is.

One thing that bothers me is when the chefs at work make elaborate rolls and give them to the staff, telling me to "just pick out and eat the avocado".

How hard is it to make me an avocado roll?
#20 Old 10-11-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

Not at all. I know people sometimes feel uncomfortable eating meat around me, but that's just their guilty conscience.

I don't mind in the slightest. I'm really used to it- I manage a restaurant that serves meat.

thats what i was gonna say...it doesnt bugg me but sometimes it buggs them...they always say sorry i am eating this or that...I have a friend who was veggie for three months then went back to eating meat and she cant face me...she told me she is not ready to see me yet...I only really deal with what I eat I dont really pay attention to what others eat in front of me or not.
#21 Old 10-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-anti-fur View Post

thats what i was gonna say...it doesnt bugg me but sometimes it buggs them...they always say sorry i am eating this or that...I have a friend who was veggie for three months then went back to eating meat and she cant face me...she told me she is not ready to see me yet...I only really deal with what I eat I dont really pay attention to what others eat in front of me or not.

When they say they are 'sorry for eating meat' - just tell them that you are not the one they should be apologizing to.
#22 Old 10-11-2008, 11:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I am lucky to know many, many vegetarians and vegans so this is rarely an issue for me. The omnis I know are open minded enough (and kind) to eat vegetarian when they are around me.

I do get SUPER annoyed by my vegetarian sister in law who prepares meat at every single one of her dinner parties. Can't her guests eat a lovely vegetarian meal in her home? Does she have to cook them meat? I am at the point I will not longer attend. (neither will my vegan husband - her brother).
#23 Old 10-12-2008, 12:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't eat out a lot anymore, but I've notice I've gotten grossed out or just disgusted when my dad cooks meat. Tonight he started cutting up the corn beef he'd made

for dinner (Though he made the veggies seperate. Awesome for me!)

and I just left the kitchen feeling a little sick. (Though I hadn't been feeling well

for most of the evening, either.)

I guess I'd better get over it. I don't feel like that when I see him eating a chicken burrito or whatever, so I think maybe tonight it was just a one time thing.

Except...I don't feel comfortable looking at meat after he cooks it these days either.

(I don't usually feel sick like I did tonight though.) Mostly I just feel a little uncomfortable, but I won't whine about it or anything.

I guess tonight was just wierd.

As to the topic, I just get so into my own food I usually just ignore what everyone else is eating, so in that respect I'm okay.
#24 Old 10-12-2008, 01:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Nope
#25 Old 10-12-2008, 01:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanfish View Post

That wouldn't happen to you if you ate meat.

Ha. Ha.
#26 Old 10-12-2008, 02:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I would say it does bother me. Although I know there is a time and a place for vegetarian/vegan discussions and the dinner table is not one of them (in my opinion).

It's strange just how many people do apologise for eating meat in front of me though.
#27 Old 10-12-2008, 04:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm the only veg I know... I don't care if people eat non veg food around me. Fortunately I'm lucky enough to know people that respect my veganism enough to ensure I'm always well fed, even if meat and stuff are the main dishes. So it doesn't bother me and I appreciate the effort others make for me.
#28 Old 10-12-2008, 05:27 AM
Veggie Regular

It used to bother me but now I'm used to it. My parents and brother eat meat around me, all of my friends except one eat meat so they eat meat around me. I guess I just have to accept that some people will eat meat around me. I'm not going to get up and leave the room because of that.
#29 Old 10-12-2008, 07:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yes, I agree with that. People are taking part in murder right in front of your eyes, and its unpleasant whatever anyone else thinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaspice View Post

When they say they are 'sorry for eating meat' - just tell them that you are not the one they should be apologizing to.

LOL!
#30 Old 10-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

They aren't doing anything wrong in their reality. Their reality is not yours. Their morality is not yours. Even if in your reality it is very wrong. You cannot expect them to view it as so if it is not so to them.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page