You know you've been a veggie a long time when.... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

You almost wish you COULD eat meat again just cause it would be easy, but you haven't done so in so many years that the idea is absolutely disgusting, you know you'd never do it, you suck it up and eat that lettuce with dressing at the wedding while everyone else gets full. lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

How about....

You know you've been vegetarian for a really long time when you can scan a menu and not even notice the meat options and are able to order quicker and with less hassle than everyone else at the table.
#3 Old 10-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

You forget that chicken and sausage aren't actually made out of seitan.

http://www.ourveggiekitchen.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-11-2008, 02:03 PM

when your testicles drop
#5 Old 10-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiestofan View Post

when your testicles drop

When you have what I call a gela-dar, I can quickly scan any ingredient list for gelatin.
#6 Old 10-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

How about....

You know you've been vegetarian for a really long time when you can scan a menu and not even notice the meat options and are able to order quicker and with less hassle than everyone else at the table.

Definitely!

--When your friends and family members know better than to invite you to certain restaurants, because they've dragged you there before and all you were able to order was bread and a margarita.

--Or, alternately, when your family members invite you to a certain restaurant fully knowing the above, and you are justified in concluding they mean to exclude you.

--When you're planning your wedding menu, and no one dares suggest you serve meat because they know it's not an option and you've never budged before, so you're not about to now.

--When people start telling stories about "way back when you first went vegetarian" and the stories are a decade or more old.

--When you can't even remember what your favorite meat dish tasted like.

--When most people actually remember you're a vegetarian, and you don't have to remind everyone regularly.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#7 Old 10-12-2008, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

How about....

Yup. That's the good thing about usually only having 1-2 choices in restaurants.

I've gotten so used to it that when I go somewhere with a lot of different vegetarian choices, like an Indian restaurant, I feel like I don't know what to do with myself! lol.
#8 Old 10-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Beginner

When somebody who has nicknamed you "veggie-(anything offensive here)-boy" in an attempt to annoy you out of vegetarianism struggles to remember your real name.
#9 Old 10-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

Yup. That's the good thing about usually only having 1-2 choices in restaurants.

I've gotten so used to it that when I go somewhere with a lot of different vegetarian choices, like an Indian restaurant, I feel like I don't know what to do with myself! lol.

Totally agree. That's one thing I love about being a veggie, you haven't got a 100 different choices to get confused about!
#10 Old 10-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular

.....you find a couple blocks of extremely frosted/freezer burned tofu in the far back of the freezer.
#11 Old 10-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licence View Post

Totally agree. That's one thing I love about being a veggie, you haven't got a 100 different choices to get confused about!

LOL I went to a restaurant recently, it was a steakhouse so I was expecting *maybe* a salad. But they had FOUR vegetarian options! It was so hard to pick! Veggie burger, TWO different and yummy looking salads and veggie quesiladeas (?)
#12 Old 10-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlemaneet View Post

LOL I went to a restaurant recently, it was a steakhouse so I was expecting *maybe* a salad. But they had FOUR vegetarian options! It was so hard to pick! Veggie burger, TWO different and yummy looking salads and veggie quesiladeas (?)

I actually don't like having too many options, for this reason.

I get overwhelmed eating at veggie restaurants where I could have anything!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#13 Old 10-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular

- when you have to ask someone if your veggieburger is made of meat because it sorta looks like meat but you don't know for sure because you forget what cow burgers look like (cooked)

- when i try to imagine eating meat, i just can't picture it.

- people who argue about vegetarianism with me cannot say anything i haven't heard before.

- if people keep cow milk in the fridge, i can smell it when i open the door...except in my own apartment. after about a month, i grew immune to the smell of my roomies moo milk

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#14 Old 10-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblossom View Post

- when you have to ask someone if your veggieburger is made of meat because it sorta looks like meat but you don't know for sure because you forget what cow burgers look like (cooked)

I have done this so many times at restaurants. The taste always freaks me out so I get people to try it.. They tell me the texture is nothing like meat, but I still sometimes have a hard time believing it!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#15 Old 10-17-2008, 12:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

How about....

I went to Herbivore, in San Francisco, for the first time. I was SO wigged out. The menu was all-vegan, but said things like, "cream sauce," "parmesean," and "chicken." It was weird because all the buzz words that made me omit things were things I could actually eat! And also weird because I had the option of THE WHOLE MENU.

Veg restaurants are the shiitake.
#16 Old 10-17-2008, 01:33 AM
Veggie Regular

You know you've been a veggie a long time when... since you are what you eat, it is now vegetarian to eat your arm!!!
#17 Old 10-17-2008, 01:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

I have done this so many times at restaurants. The taste always freaks me out so I get people to try it.. They tell me the texture is nothing like meat, but I still sometimes have a hard time believing it!

I had this happen just recently. I took a bite out of this veggie burger and it seemed way too much like ground beef, so I asked the server if it really was a veggie burger and he said he was positive it was, but he asked the chef anyway to confirm.
#18 Old 10-17-2008, 03:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblossom View Post

That's a good one. I once had a mini-freak out over a mushroom quesadilla. The mushrooms were kinda shredded and a little over cooked so they looked exactly like chicken and tasted like chicken *to me*. I made my Husband eat some and I asked the waiter if there was chicken, or broth, or fat or anything. he assured me it was mushrooms, cooked in their own pan, seasoned with just herb spices and oil wrapped in a lard free tortilla. My Husband found it hilarious that I thought mushrooms tasted like chicken. Guess I've forgotten, lol.
#19 Old 10-17-2008, 03:59 AM
Veggie Regular

--When someone asks you how long you've been a vegetarian, you say "Since I was 16," and when they ask you how old you are now (25) their mind does the math, their eyes get big, and they say, "Whoa, that's, like, nine years!"

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#20 Old 10-17-2008, 04:26 AM

I can identify with what people have said about having too many choices in veggie restaurants. I look at the menu for ages and then usually order a veggie burger!

I find myself checking with the waiters if the wine is vegan even in vegan restaurants.

I know I have been vegetarian a long time when even my friends know what I can and can't eat now and some of them have knowledge of the vegan restaurants and cafes and health food shops in London.
#21 Old 10-17-2008, 05:47 AM
Beginner

For me, it'd be:-

- When even Tofu looks edible - I'm nearly there

- When all friends / relatives finally get over the novelty

Seriously though I think:-

Quote:

... is a pretty good one !

TTFN,

Jon
#22 Old 10-17-2008, 05:55 AM
Veggie Regular

- When you can laugh at 'Steven The Vegan'
#23 Old 10-17-2008, 08:41 AM
Veggie Regular

--When I can trust that my bf and friends have sufficiently scanned ingredients lists to see if they're vegan or not without having to check myself - they've been trained so well!
#24 Old 10-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Banned

When the words "where do you get your protein?" make you want to stab the nearest person in the throat.
#25 Old 10-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorzelGummidge View Post

When the words "where do you get your protein?" make you want to stab the nearest person in the throat.

Oh no...I've not been veggie for a year yet, and I already get the overwhelming urge to do so.....
#26 Old 10-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Beginner

- When you automatically scan the ingredients on every single packet for animal products and actually recognize that things like stearic acid aren't vegan

- When you no longer check packets because you know the ingredients to absolutely everything.

- When you're scared to admit to your friends why you won't eat something because you just can't break it to them that their orange juice is coloured using crushed beetles.
#27 Old 10-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

This always happens to me! I was convinced that the lemon pepper "chicken" strips my mom made were actual chicken. I kept asking her- "these are fake, right??" and she was like "They don't even have the texture of real chicken..."
#28 Old 10-18-2008, 12:13 AM
Veggie Regular

these are all so great

how about..

-you can throw anything from your fridge in the blender and it's considered a health shake

-you've been repulsed by the sight of people gorging on non-veg food

-you know where all the veg snacks are hidden in the supermarket

-you have a secret stash of veg snacks in your house as well
#29 Old 10-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielove View Post

you haven't done so in so many years that the idea is absolutely disgusting, you know you'd never do it, you suck it up and eat that lettuce with dressing at the wedding while everyone else gets full. lol.

I've been vegetarian for the majority of my life and as of recently I find myself emptying the refrigerator of all it's food so I really can't say I've experienced this.

It might sound too simple to the best of you, but I think a banana, two bags of carrots, a carton of strawberries, three bowls of raisin bran, four strawberry whipped cream cream cheese filled cinnamon raisin bagels and four soft-shell bean and cheese burritos are quite filling for a days worth of food (not including minor snacks like nutri-grain bars).

This is the combined efforts of vegetarianism and a high metabolism.

In fact it would almost seem I'm not built for eating meat. I've even got the low blood pressure to prove it.
#30 Old 10-20-2008, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatherineLynn View Post

This always happens to me! I was convinced that the lemon pepper "chicken" strips my mom made were actual chicken. I kept asking her- "these are fake, right??" and she was like "They don't even have the texture of real chicken..."

Perhaps it's just me, but for some reason I find myself capable of sensing the flesh in my food. Of course when I say flesh, I mean this extra-sensory ability doesn't work for gelatin etc...

I also recently found out Skittles commonly contains gelatin. Dammit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page