You know you've been a veggie a long time when.... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 10-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular
 
veggielove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 885
You almost wish you COULD eat meat again just cause it would be easy, but you haven't done so in so many years that the idea is absolutely disgusting, you know you'd never do it, you suck it up and eat that lettuce with dressing at the wedding while everyone else gets full. lol.
veggielove is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 10-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Beachbnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,875
How about....



You know you've been vegetarian for a really long time when you can scan a menu and not even notice the meat options and are able to order quicker and with less hassle than everyone else at the table.
Beachbnny is offline  
#3 Old 10-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular
 
vyapti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 843
You forget that chicken and sausage aren't actually made out of seitan.

http://www.ourveggiekitchen.com
vyapti is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 10-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Newbie
 
Tiestofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14
when your testicles drop
Tiestofan is offline  
#5 Old 10-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular
 
myrtlemaneet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiestofan View Post

when your testicles drop





When you have what I call a gela-dar, I can quickly scan any ingredient list for gelatin.
myrtlemaneet is offline  
#6 Old 10-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Skylark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 15,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

How about....



You know you've been vegetarian for a really long time when you can scan a menu and not even notice the meat options and are able to order quicker and with less hassle than everyone else at the table.



Definitely!







--When your friends and family members know better than to invite you to certain restaurants, because they've dragged you there before and all you were able to order was bread and a margarita.



--Or, alternately, when your family members invite you to a certain restaurant fully knowing the above, and you are justified in concluding they mean to exclude you.



--When you're planning your wedding menu, and no one dares suggest you serve meat because they know it's not an option and you've never budged before, so you're not about to now.



--When people start telling stories about "way back when you first went vegetarian" and the stories are a decade or more old.



--When you can't even remember what your favorite meat dish tasted like.



--When most people actually remember you're a vegetarian, and you don't have to remind everyone regularly.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
Skylark is offline  
#7 Old 10-12-2008, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular
 
ashlend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

How about....



You know you've been vegetarian for a really long time when you can scan a menu and not even notice the meat options and are able to order quicker and with less hassle than everyone else at the table.



Yup. That's the good thing about usually only having 1-2 choices in restaurants.



I've gotten so used to it that when I go somewhere with a lot of different vegetarian choices, like an Indian restaurant, I feel like I don't know what to do with myself! lol.
ashlend is offline  
#8 Old 10-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Beginner
 
:Truth is evil-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 105
When somebody who has nicknamed you "veggie-(anything offensive here)-boy" in an attempt to annoy you out of vegetarianism struggles to remember your real name.
:Truth is evil- is offline  
#9 Old 10-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Licence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

Yup. That's the good thing about usually only having 1-2 choices in restaurants.



I've gotten so used to it that when I go somewhere with a lot of different vegetarian choices, like an Indian restaurant, I feel like I don't know what to do with myself! lol.



Totally agree. That's one thing I love about being a veggie, you haven't got a 100 different choices to get confused about!
Licence is offline  
#10 Old 10-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Shamandura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,497
.....you find a couple blocks of extremely frosted/freezer burned tofu in the far back of the freezer.
Shamandura is offline  
#11 Old 10-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular
 
myrtlemaneet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licence View Post

Totally agree. That's one thing I love about being a veggie, you haven't got a 100 different choices to get confused about!





LOL I went to a restaurant recently, it was a steakhouse so I was expecting *maybe* a salad. But they had FOUR vegetarian options! It was so hard to pick! Veggie burger, TWO different and yummy looking salads and veggie quesiladeas (?)
myrtlemaneet is offline  
#12 Old 10-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular
 
synergy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlemaneet View Post

LOL I went to a restaurant recently, it was a steakhouse so I was expecting *maybe* a salad. But they had FOUR vegetarian options! It was so hard to pick! Veggie burger, TWO different and yummy looking salads and veggie quesiladeas (?)



I actually don't like having too many options, for this reason.

I get overwhelmed eating at veggie restaurants where I could have anything!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
synergy is offline  
#13 Old 10-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Chrysalis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,101
- when you have to ask someone if your veggieburger is made of meat because it sorta looks like meat but you don't know for sure because you forget what cow burgers look like (cooked)



- when i try to imagine eating meat, i just can't picture it.



- people who argue about vegetarianism with me cannot say anything i haven't heard before.



- if people keep cow milk in the fridge, i can smell it when i open the door...except in my own apartment. after about a month, i grew immune to the smell of my roomies moo milk

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
Chrysalis is offline  
#14 Old 10-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Veggie Regular
 
synergy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblossom View Post

- when you have to ask someone if your veggieburger is made of meat because it sorta looks like meat but you don't know for sure because you forget what cow burgers look like (cooked)



I have done this so many times at restaurants. The taste always freaks me out so I get people to try it.. They tell me the texture is nothing like meat, but I still sometimes have a hard time believing it!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
synergy is offline  
#15 Old 10-17-2008, 12:49 AM
Veggie Regular
 
FafaFrappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

How about....



You know you've been vegetarian for a really long time when you can scan a menu and not even notice the meat options and are able to order quicker and with less hassle than everyone else at the table.



I went to Herbivore, in San Francisco, for the first time. I was SO wigged out. The menu was all-vegan, but said things like, "cream sauce," "parmesean," and "chicken." It was weird because all the buzz words that made me omit things were things I could actually eat! And also weird because I had the option of THE WHOLE MENU.



Veg restaurants are the shiitake.
FafaFrappy is offline  
#16 Old 10-17-2008, 01:33 AM
Veggie Regular
 
HummusKelpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,070
You know you've been a veggie a long time when... since you are what you eat, it is now vegetarian to eat your arm!!!
HummusKelpilot is offline  
#17 Old 10-17-2008, 01:41 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

I have done this so many times at restaurants. The taste always freaks me out so I get people to try it.. They tell me the texture is nothing like meat, but I still sometimes have a hard time believing it!



I had this happen just recently. I took a bite out of this veggie burger and it seemed way too much like ground beef, so I asked the server if it really was a veggie burger and he said he was positive it was, but he asked the chef anyway to confirm.
PTree15 is offline  
#18 Old 10-17-2008, 03:52 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Beachbnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblossom View Post

- when you have to ask someone if your veggieburger is made of meat because it sorta looks like meat but you don't know for sure because you forget what cow burgers look like (cooked)





That's a good one. I once had a mini-freak out over a mushroom quesadilla. The mushrooms were kinda shredded and a little over cooked so they looked exactly like chicken and tasted like chicken *to me*. I made my Husband eat some and I asked the waiter if there was chicken, or broth, or fat or anything. he assured me it was mushrooms, cooked in their own pan, seasoned with just herb spices and oil wrapped in a lard free tortilla. My Husband found it hilarious that I thought mushrooms tasted like chicken. Guess I've forgotten, lol.
Beachbnny is offline  
#19 Old 10-17-2008, 03:59 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Skylark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 15,684
--When someone asks you how long you've been a vegetarian, you say "Since I was 16," and when they ask you how old you are now (25) their mind does the math, their eyes get big, and they say, "Whoa, that's, like, nine years!"

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
Skylark is offline  
#20 Old 10-17-2008, 04:26 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
I can identify with what people have said about having too many choices in veggie restaurants. I look at the menu for ages and then usually order a veggie burger!



I find myself checking with the waiters if the wine is vegan even in vegan restaurants.



I know I have been vegetarian a long time when even my friends know what I can and can't eat now and some of them have knowledge of the vegan restaurants and cafes and health food shops in London.
GhostUser is offline  
#21 Old 10-17-2008, 05:47 AM
Beginner
 
Duke Nukem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 168
For me, it'd be:-



- When even Tofu looks edible - I'm nearly there



- When all friends / relatives finally get over the novelty



Seriously though I think:-



Quote:
You know you've been vegetarian for a really long time when you can scan a menu and not even notice the meat options and are able to order quicker and with less hassle than everyone else at the table.



... is a pretty good one !



TTFN,

Jon
Duke Nukem is offline  
#22 Old 10-17-2008, 05:55 AM
Veggie Regular
 
HummusKelpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,070
- When you can laugh at 'Steven The Vegan'
HummusKelpilot is offline  
#23 Old 10-17-2008, 08:41 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Rani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 577
--When I can trust that my bf and friends have sufficiently scanned ingredients lists to see if they're vegan or not without having to check myself - they've been trained so well!
Rani is offline  
#24 Old 10-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,160
When the words "where do you get your protein?" make you want to stab the nearest person in the throat.
Earthling is offline  
#25 Old 10-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular
 
counting_hours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorzelGummidge View Post

When the words "where do you get your protein?" make you want to stab the nearest person in the throat.



Oh no...I've not been veggie for a year yet, and I already get the overwhelming urge to do so.....
counting_hours is offline  
#26 Old 10-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Beginner
 
Lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 148
- When you automatically scan the ingredients on every single packet for animal products and actually recognize that things like stearic acid aren't vegan

- When you no longer check packets because you know the ingredients to absolutely everything.

- When you're scared to admit to your friends why you won't eat something because you just can't break it to them that their orange juice is coloured using crushed beetles.
Lazarus is offline  
#27 Old 10-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular
 
ChiKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

I have done this so many times at restaurants. The taste always freaks me out so I get people to try it.. They tell me the texture is nothing like meat, but I still sometimes have a hard time believing it!



This always happens to me! I was convinced that the lemon pepper "chicken" strips my mom made were actual chicken. I kept asking her- "these are fake, right??" and she was like "They don't even have the texture of real chicken..."
ChiKat is offline  
#28 Old 10-18-2008, 12:13 AM
Veggie Regular
 
headxbanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 302
these are all so great



how about..

-you can throw anything from your fridge in the blender and it's considered a health shake

-you've been repulsed by the sight of people gorging on non-veg food

-you know where all the veg snacks are hidden in the supermarket

-you have a secret stash of veg snacks in your house as well
headxbanger is offline  
#29 Old 10-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielove View Post

you haven't done so in so many years that the idea is absolutely disgusting, you know you'd never do it, you suck it up and eat that lettuce with dressing at the wedding while everyone else gets full. lol.



I've been vegetarian for the majority of my life and as of recently I find myself emptying the refrigerator of all it's food so I really can't say I've experienced this.



It might sound too simple to the best of you, but I think a banana, two bags of carrots, a carton of strawberries, three bowls of raisin bran, four strawberry whipped cream cream cheese filled cinnamon raisin bagels and four soft-shell bean and cheese burritos are quite filling for a days worth of food (not including minor snacks like nutri-grain bars).



This is the combined efforts of vegetarianism and a high metabolism.



In fact it would almost seem I'm not built for eating meat. I've even got the low blood pressure to prove it.
Dogma is offline  
#30 Old 10-20-2008, 09:25 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatherineLynn View Post

This always happens to me! I was convinced that the lemon pepper "chicken" strips my mom made were actual chicken. I kept asking her- "these are fake, right??" and she was like "They don't even have the texture of real chicken..."



Perhaps it's just me, but for some reason I find myself capable of sensing the flesh in my food. Of course when I say flesh, I mean this extra-sensory ability doesn't work for gelatin etc...



I also recently found out Skittles commonly contains gelatin. Dammit.
Dogma is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off