Vegetarian for practical reasons? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-03-2008, 01:31 AM

Hi,

I have a rather urgent issue on which I would enjoy hearing your thoughts.

I've been a vegan for about 2 years. My circumstances until recently have made it really easy to be a vegan. I lived alone, I was at home all day and I never went out eating.

Here's the problem: My circumstances have changed dramatically. I get up at 5 am, commute 2 hours to where I study, stay there until 7 pm and commute back home, which gives me about 1 hour of 'rest' a day.

I go to a small secluded campus, which has a cafeteria that only has two options: omnivore, vegetarian (most of the vegetarian dishes cannot be made vegan) and a basic salad. There are no other options within walking distance.

The salad doesn't cut it energy wise and I barely have time to make food at home. Eating PB&J or other sandwiches 5 times a week as a main form of sustinence probably isn't too healthy of an option either. And I'm the only vegan there, so getting them to introduce a third, vegan, option is out of the question.

Going out with family and friends has also nearly ceased because I rarely find anything vegan on the menu and just getting a salad or steamed veggies for the 2e423 time is both depressing for me and them.

So I was wondering what you guys thought of being vegetarian for practical reasons. I still am a vegan at heart and still refuse to be leather, non-vegan cosmetic and hygiene products, and would be eating vegan whenever possible (either when by myself or when a vegan option is available). Being able not to starve 5 times a week would be a giant leap in convenience and I honestly hate being a burdon on people (when visiting others).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-03-2008, 01:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Couldn't you make your own lunches at night? There are more non-heated foods besides sandwiches, you know.

Edit: Oh, welcome to Veggieboards!!
#3 Old 10-03-2008, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrple View Post

Couldn't you make your own lunches at night? There are more non-heated foods besides sandwiches, you know.

Edit: Oh, welcome to Veggieboards!!

I've tried doing that. The problem is that it basically kills my one hour of recreational time I have (which I can live with) and that I can't carry enough food with me to really keep me from being hungry. I'm a pretty big guy and the amount of food that I can keep in one or two small tupperware containers doesn't cut it. I find myself binging every single day because I come back at night starving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-03-2008, 02:10 AM

Hm. Buy some bigger lunch packs? My other half takes his lunch to work every day, and has plenty.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#5 Old 10-03-2008, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Hm. Buy some bigger lunch packs? My other half takes his lunch to work every day, and has plenty.

I've tried fitting all I can. I can manage when I go to visit family, since I can take a suitcase, but my backpack is filled to the brim and other than two pieces of tupperware and an apple, not much will fit.
#6 Old 10-03-2008, 02:58 AM

what do they have at the canteen?

couldn't you just have chips(fries) and beans, as the bulk carbohydrates and protein?

And have vitamins etc at home.

eta: plus you could take packets of nuts; maybe roast soya beans;

soya beans are supposed to contain complete proteins, I have read.

#7 Old 10-03-2008, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

what do they have at the canteen?

couldn't you just have chips(fries) and beans, as the bulk carbohydrates and protein?

And have vitamins etc at home.

They only have two prepared meals. One with meat and the other vegetarian. Except for the occasional french fries, usually any vegetables come with sauce that includes dairy. Usually the only time I can keep dairy from my veggies is when they have pasta with tomato sauce and I can ask them to hold the parmesan. Unfortunately I can get seperate veggies.

Soy is indeed a complete protein. However I'm allergic to it
#8 Old 10-03-2008, 03:50 AM
ICU
Beginner

Why not try packing more than one lunch at a time and take the out of the refrigerator as needed? Vegan Lunch Box ( http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/ )has all kinds of great packed lunch ideas. You would just have to increase the amount to be appropriate for you. BTW the bento boxes look small, but hold more than enough food to fill you up.

Faith not fear, hope not worry
#9 Old 10-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

The important part is not how we feel about it, but how you feel about it.

Keep in mind though, that if you decide not to be vegan right now, it's not an all or nothing thing. PB&J a time or two a week wouldn't be bad, and would reduce the dairy intake -- particularly if your school publishes menus in advance and you could avoid their most 'dairy-heavy' days. Also, in my own opinion, dairy is less harmful than eggs, and milk products are less harmful than cheese (which really takes quite a lot of milk to make). And eating out 98% dairy/egg free I've found to be very doable, while I have real trouble finding 100% vegan options at restaurants
#10 Old 10-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Beginner

I'm with Bios--what matters is how YOU feel about it.

I eat a 90% vegan diet. Sometimes I get cravings, and I personally feel OK about indulging in the occasional cannoli. Then, too, sometimes there are no vegan options, and I'm also OK with compromising my ideals in a tight situation. I may get flamed for saying this, as I know there are many on this board who would find such a position abhorrent. But it doesn't sound like you're one of them.
#11 Old 10-04-2008, 02:25 AM

While I'm not trying to say that it's our decision, I think that there are several of us here (including myself) who would completely disagree. There are situations, I suppose, where you are faced with eating non-vegan food, or going hungry. I just don't see this as one of them. It's not that I'm unsympathetic. I was a blossoming vegan while in college...in Oklahoma..at a "God made meat for us to eat" school.

However, I think it's about how important being vegan is to you. If your backpack's too full, carry a lunchbox. You could even get one that collapses when empty if you like. If PB sandwiches are too dull, try hummus or chickpea salad, or one of the hundred or so suggestions in the recipe section here. Get a thermos and take some stew/hearty soup. If you commute by car, leave some of the stuff in the car during the day (sounds like you take public transport though). Try a small cooler if you want hot or cold things. Make a bunch of food on the weekends, as suggested.

It may not be easy or convenient, but I definitely think being a commuting vegan student is possible.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#12 Old 10-04-2008, 02:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I take a whole cloth grocery bag to school everyday, and make my dinners in big, bulky pot to hold me for the rest of the week. I eat a ton. I don't feel like this is a difficult thing to do, but your situation is very different from mine. I cannot speak for you. Nor can I judge your situation.

But I think in the end you will find a solution that you feel is right.
#13 Old 10-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Veggie Regular

This is how I feel: this is your life. You should be happy in it. If being vegan is what is right for you than do what you can. If you can only do it 95% of the time, then that is more than most of the world. Dont live your life by others standards. What's the point if you are unhappy the whole time?

You know in your heart who you are and what you believe. Sometimes we all have to compromise. Do what you can for now, and more later if possible. Good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page