VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

plasma donation

14K views 36 replies 24 participants last post by  JesseG 
#1 ·
I've been considering donating plasma in my spare time, and was wondering if vegans would have any more trouble with this than anyone else. I've done it in the past without a problem, but that was a few years ago and I've only been vegan for a few months. I can't think of why this would be a problem, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffintoldme View Post

I've been considering donating plasma in my spare time, and was wondering if vegans would have any more trouble with this than anyone else. I've done it in the past without a problem, but that was a few years ago and I've only been vegan for a few months. I can't think of why this would be a problem, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks.
Hi, I was just wondering why you think vegans would have more of a problem with it.

#4 ·
Donating blood (or plasma) would not make you a non-vegan.

I however don't do it because I don't want to support animal testing or what ever includes animal ingredients.

1- your blood will be tested with testers with animal ingredients.

2- profits will be made by company's that heavilly use animal testing.

#6 ·
Your veganism will not affect the donation process. In fact, even if you have low iron as a result of your veganism (which you shouldn't, but some do), plasma donation is fine for those with low iron, as they don't remove your red blood cells.

Also, it will be easier to eat the low-fat breakfast in the morning before donation, as a lot of people don't know how to have breakfast that doesn't contain sausage.

#12 ·
Ironically, I cannot donate blood or plasma due to the mad cow thing. I lived on Europe for years, so I *might* be tainted. What a random load of crap.

Just ate American beef? Sure, we'll have your blood (no chance you ate mad cow). Been in the Eu? Doesnt mater you dont eat beef, or any other meat. Rules are rules.

The US military has always been a huge source of blood donations. With so many of us having served in the EU, the percentage of us allowed to give blood has been radiacally reduced. Please give blood/plasma if you can.

Vegan1, youre so right, tha animal testing is way wrong. But I dont think not giving blood is the way to fight that battle.

#15 ·
I know this is different than selling plasma, but when I last visited a blood drive (to pick someone up, not donate), there was a sign that said if you've been to Scotland in the past seven years, then you can't donate blood. What's up with Scotland? What blood born diseases can you get from those nasty Scots? I'm out of the running for giving blood for a while, having been to India and Africa too recently, but Scotland? That was an odd one to me.

#16 ·
blood prices? what is everyone talking about?

In Canada, you donate your blood and go home. If you give a number of times (I think 50+), you get to choose where your blood goes (ie ER, babies, burns, etc).

I'm not able to give blood. I am allowed to give plasma, but it's a bit of work and everytime I book and get the time, I end up getting a cold or flu and cannot go.

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganinohio View Post

What's up with Scotland? What blood born diseases can you get from those nasty Scots? I'm out of the running for giving blood for a while, having been to India and Africa too recently, but Scotland? That was an odd one to me.
BSE. When you've been in the UK in the years that they didn't check for BSE at the slaughterhouse, you could have got cjd (creutzfeld jakob decise, nickname "human bse")

Because there isn't a good test for cjd for blood donors, they do not accept these people as donor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

Blood prices? I thought people only got paid for plasma. I've never heard of someone selling their blood....

Anyway, sorry, but I don't understand the connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

blood prices? what is everyone talking about?

In Canada, you donate your blood and go home. If you give a number of times (I think 50+), you get to choose where your blood goes (ie ER, babies, burns, etc).
iirc it is only America where blood donors get paid by the bloodbanks.

European blood banks do not, (and are not allowed to) pay blood donors.

If you are a regular donor, you can get a bumpersticker and after a number of times you get a tie pin or something like that. Very regular donors might get invited for a dinner evening once a year.

Blood prices.

I worked for a bloodbank. Even when the bloodbank takes your blood in or near the hospital, it is a separate institute.

A plastic bag for blood is about $25,- plus rent for the place, nurses, machines, freezers, radiation, tests

(we froze the blood and could keep it stored for two years)

Iirc a pint of whole blood was $75.- for customers. Customers = hospitals.

If the hospital has special wishes, the blood is extra processed and the selling price goes up.

Very special blood, like..um.birth cord blood for babies was very expensive.

Same goes for HLA matched blood for bone marrow operations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

make sure you not one of them homosexual vegans. those aren't allowed.
Maybe in America, not in Europe. (iirc) Gay people with a steady relationship can donate.

Straight people are asked if they had changing sexual contacts in the last x months.

Cause straight people who *uck around are as risky as anyone else.

#19 ·
I've never given plasma, but I give blood regularly and have never had a problem w/low iron or anything (as so many of my omni friends do). The only thing I hate about the process is lying about never having slept w/a man who's had relations w/another man since 1976 (or whatever the date is...), 'cause I have (an ex bf who'd done some experimenting in college) but I'm okay and want to donate. Is that evil of me? I honestly don't believe I'm a risky doner at all...

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiewriter View Post

I've never given plasma, but I give blood regularly and have never had a problem w/low iron or anything (as so many of my omni friends do). The only thing I hate about the process is lying about never having slept w/a man who's had relations w/another man since 1976 (or whatever the date is...), 'cause I have (an ex bf who'd done some experimenting in college) but I'm okay and want to donate. Is that evil of me? I honestly don't believe I'm a risky doner at all...
If you know for sure you are OK I don't see anything wrong in that

#24 ·
I donate blood (I won't sell blood, I think those companies aren't as safe and I have ethical issues with it) on a regular basis and have never had any health problems. I do suggest you bring food with you to eat afterward, because they often don't have vegan food available and I feel better if I eat afterwards.

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

Gee...I'm against animal testing and all that, but if nobody donated blood because of that, a whole lot of people would be dead..
^^what she said

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

Donating blood can be a problem if you are low in iron, but it is a non-issue for plasma donation.

There should not be any problems at all.
I donate pretty regularly- and YES iron levels can keep you from donating. They must be between 37 and 42. They also take your bloodpressure, resting heart rate, temperature, and protien levels.

There have been quite a few times that I've been prevented from donating due to low iron levels. Just be sure to eat a lot of spinach and raisens with orange juice (vit C helps you to absorb the iron better) at least 19 hours before donating and drink plenty of water (at least 8 glasses a day, EVERY day, and 22 ounces a few hours before you go in) to be sure that the process goes as quickly as possible. Also, be sure to eat something (like a sandwich) before going in to help with your blood sugar (you don't want to faint!).

It's a painless way to make a little extra cash and help out your neighbors. Have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.