Fictional Vegetarians - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

#1 Old 09-18-2008, 02:22 PM

Fictional Vegetarians*** (I can't fix the title of this thread)

I was watching "John Tucker Must Die" the other day. I thought it was really cool that they had a vegan character in the movie. Too bad she was portrayed as a ditzy slut!

So it got me thinking about how vegetarians are portrayed in movies, T.V. shows, books, etc.

How are we depicted? Are there more positive or negative portrayals? Or does the general populous think we're all crazy-tree huggers?

Off the top of my head the only fictional vegetarian I can think of is Lisa Simpson and she's a great role model. =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

personally, I LOVED John Tucker Must Die, and although the vegan character was portrayed stereotypically in some ways, ALL the characters in the film were. My friends got a kick out of any similarities between me and her, and I did, too

but yeah, I think veg*ns are often portrayed stereotypically, if not negatively. Phoebe from friends is a great character and not at all 'negative', but she is in a lot of ways stereotypical of vegetarians. I can't think of any more right now.
#3 Old 09-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Beginner

I'd say it's a mixed bag, leaning towards negative, but I have seen vegetarian characters who have to contend with (obviously meant to be) stupid and/or ignorant people who cannot understand the concept.

On the other hand, there is a definite association with vegetarianism and tree-huger or at least quirky types (off the top of my head, examples from two terrible - no offence - shows such as Friends and Dharma and Greg seem to bear this out).

I don't watch Simpsons much beyond the 6th season, but for some unknown reason I saw one the other day where Bart gets a bull and tries to rescue him. Besides the episode being free from laughs, I thought they painted the whole veg*n movement in the most stupid way imaginable. Not only are we led to believe that veg*ns are at least partially crazy, but we also get this idea that veg*ns don't get enough protein and have to take a million pills. I mean, can we lay off the stupid veg*ns don't get enough protein already??? It's the one thing that almost everyone gets more than enough of in this hemisphere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Veggie Regular

"Year of the Dog" starring Molly Shannon

ive talked to some veggies that take offense to the character in this movie because she does get pretty extreme. however i kinda liked the character, and even though it has sad parts, i saw it more as a comedy than anything else.

i have heard of a movie "Shooting Vegetarians", haven't seen it yet it's on my netflix list, think its about a veggie boy that's family owns a butcher shop.
#5 Old 09-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Lisa in Six Feet Under was sort of the hippy type vegan but they didn't go overboard with it. But they did make fun of her tofu casserole, I think it was. (Claire spat hers into a napkin and she and Nate went for cheeseburgers after. You know. The old eating-meat-after-being-served-a-vegetarian-meal gag.) And they had Lisa eating fish when she was pregnant which was annoying.

I thought Molly Shannon's character in Year of the Dog was pretty realistic. The movie was written and directed by a vegan so I can only hope Mike White was trying to create a sympathetic character.

Mostly, though, I think vegan and vegetarian characters are written for cheap jokes and mockery.
#6 Old 09-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Fixed your title stupidhumanzz.
#7 Old 09-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Two extremes:

The woman protagonist in Doc Hollywood is a very positive vegetarian character. She is passionate and yet not portrayed as a weird hippy but as someone with a serious conviction who the male protagonist has a crush on.

Phoebe from Friends, on the other hand, is very annoying. The weirdo who thinks about the feelings of Christmas trees, and likes fur, and eats meat when pregnant, and is just useless. Stuffed with all the usual preconceptions and stereotypical features.

But one of my favourite fictional veg*ns is myself. Many people don't know this, but I am actually a creation of the season five writers of Touched by an Angel.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#8 Old 09-18-2008, 02:59 PM

I like Lisa Simpson as she is obviously more intelligent than most of the other characters in the show and she is quite likeable. I forgot about the character in that John Tucker film.

I think the horrible rude surgeon in ER (the bald guy) said he was a vegan and that he became one because of seeing human bodies cut open all day.

Phoebe from Friends is okay but she is portayed as quite dumb and kooky and although she did occasionally say some quite sensible things about vegetarianism though which is good as it is such a mainstream show. (Off topic but I always think about that scene from Friends when they don't want to drink the human breast milk because they think it's gross.)

I've never seen Year of the Dog, it sounds interesting.
#9 Old 09-18-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

Fixed your title stupidhumanzz.

you are way too nice. Thanks!!
#10 Old 09-18-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

Lisa in Six Feet Under was sort of the hippy type vegan but they didn't go overboard with it. But they did make fun of her tofu casserole, I think it was. (Claire spat hers into a napkin and she and Nate went for cheeseburgers after. You know. The old eating-meat-after-being-served-a-vegetarian-meal gag.) And they had Lisa eating fish when she was pregnant which was annoying.

I thought Molly Shannon's character in Year of the Dog was pretty realistic. The movie was written and directed by a vegan so I can only hope Mike White was trying to create a sympathetic character.

Mostly, though, I think vegan and vegetarian characters are written for cheap jokes and mockery.

Yes! Remember in that same episode Lisa trying to talk the ants into leaving her kitchen? Her character, though very sweet, was presented as being entirely of touch with reality.
#11 Old 09-18-2008, 04:05 PM

Found a really funny clip from the episode where Lisa from the Simpsons becomes a vegetarian.

http://megavideo.com/?v=9RPNUKS6

Also if you want to watch the full episode (Paul and Linda McCartney cameo):

http://surfthechannel.com/info/telev...tml?aid=169877

This episode of the Simpson may or may not have been one of the reasons I became a vegetarian...
#12 Old 09-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I just saw an episode of House where a somewhat hippie-ish vegan couple are thrown in jail, and their baby is in the hospital because it was starving to death. Eventually they make bail and go to the hospital to talk to House, swear that they fed their baby lots, and that their nutritionist told them the diet they were feeding the child was healthy. Dr. House has some scans done on the baby and saves the day, finding it has a defective gland that won't allow to gain weight properly. The baby gets the necessary treatment, the charges are dropped against the parents, and at the end they show the couple and their healthy baby, together and happy.

It was cool to see a positive depiction of vegan parents!
MyNameIsGizmo likes this.
#13 Old 09-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Just because she hasn't been mentioned yet, I'll mention Melody from Josie and the Pussycats (played by Tara Reid in the movie). She's a similarly ditzy blonde to Phoebe on Friends.

I think there's an older thread somewhere about fictional veg*n characters, but that was just about listing as many as we could, rather than talking about how we're usually portrayed in the media.

--Fromper

#14 Old 09-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanfish View Post

I just saw an episode of House where a somewhat hippie-ish vegan couple are thrown in jail...

I love House!! I am so glad it ended that way! Yay House!
#15 Old 09-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

That WAS a great episode of House... a turn the stereotype on its head kind of thing.

I wasn't annoyed by the character in John Tucker Must Die, in part because, as someone else pointed out, EVERY character in that movie was a stereotype.
#16 Old 09-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Bof
Banned

I'm pretty sure that Judge John Deed is vegetarian. Martin Shaw, who plays him, certainly is ('almost vegan').
#17 Old 09-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

My first thought was of the girl from Jurassic Park. Still not sure if that's positive or not though.
#18 Old 09-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidhumanzz View Post

Fictional Vegetarians*** (I can't fix the title of this thread)

I was watching "John Tucker Must Die" the other day. I thought it was really cool that they had a vegan character in the movie. Too bad she was portrayed as a ditzy slut!

So it got me thinking about how vegetarians are portrayed in movies, T.V. shows, books, etc.

How are we depicted? Are there more positive or negative portrayals? Or does the general populous think we're all crazy-tree huggers?

Off the top of my head the only fictional vegetarian I can think of is Lisa Simpson and she's a great role model. =)

Lisa Simpson a great role model! maybe if your a nerdy chick with no friends.

If Bart,Homer or Otto were veg they would be cool role models IMHO.

BTW I'm not just disgruntled that Lisa did not 'choo, choo , choo, choose' my avatar.
#19 Old 09-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanfish View Post

I just saw an episode of House where a somewhat hippie-ish vegan couple are thrown in jail, and their baby is in the hospital because it was starving to death. Eventually they make bail and go to the hospital to talk to House, swear that they fed their baby lots, and that their nutritionist told them the diet they were feeding the child was healthy. Dr. House has some scans done on the baby and saves the day, finding it has a defective gland that won't allow to gain weight properly. The baby gets the necessary treatment, the charges are dropped against the parents, and at the end they show the couple and their healthy baby, together and happy.

It was cool to see a positive depiction of vegan parents!

Does anyone know what that episode of House is called?

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#20 Old 09-18-2008, 11:12 PM

On One of my Fave Tv shows...Thitrysomething...Gary brings his new gal pal to meet the group and she is Veggie and Hope Says something like noone told her but that she has salad....funny eppy...loved this show sooo much

On the show Girlfriends the character Lynn was Veggie.
#21 Old 09-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

The movie "Peices of April"-Holy negative veg*n stereotype. The woman offers up her kitchen for the protagonist April to cook her thanksgiving dinner, but when April takes the turkey down, the previously nice woman has PeTA stickers all over her apartment door, and asks to speak to April "alone" and has her put the turkey roaster in the hallway to do so claiming she doesn't eat anything with a face and the flesh is making her sick.....

The movie, I actually think has a good message aside from that, but that whole veg thing is a little..much?
#22 Old 09-20-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binary Dragon View Post

My first thought was of the girl from Jurassic Park. Still not sure if that's positive or not though.

Yeah, but she horked down some Jello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by counting_hours View Post

The movie "Peices of April"-Holy negative veg*n stereotype. The woman offers up her kitchen for the protagonist April to cook her thanksgiving dinner, but when April takes the turkey down, the previously nice woman has PeTA stickers all over her apartment door, and asks to speak to April "alone" and has her put the turkey roaster in the hallway to do so claiming she doesn't eat anything with a face and the flesh is making her sick.....

The movie, I actually think has a good message aside from that, but that whole veg thing is a little..much?

I don't know, I wouldn't have let her bring a dead bird into my home, either.
#23 Old 09-20-2008, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

Does anyone know what that episode of House is called?

Could this be it?? Babies & Bathwater

http://www.housemd-guide.com/season1/118babies.php
#24 Old 09-20-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australien View Post

Lisa Simpson a great role model! maybe if your a nerdy chick with no friends.

(Hey, have you met me, how did you know what I was like?)

I think the character of Lisa in the Simpsons being veggie was very positive as it is one of the most popular shows ever and it must have influenced quite a few people. It might make the general population think veggies are insufferable know-it-alls though.
meg moo likes this.
#25 Old 09-20-2008, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I liked that Sarah from CSI Las Vegas was vegetarian, but not "the vegetarian character". The sweetest thing was when Grissom and Sarah became a couple, and he brings her a veggie burger for lunch. There was one episode where a man dies on a factory farm where she got to preach a little bit, but even that was restrained.
#26 Old 09-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

(Hey, have you met me, how did you know what I was like?)

I think the character of Lisa in the Simpsons being veggie was very positive as it is one of the most popular shows ever and it must have influenced quite a few people. It might make the general population think veggies are insufferable know-it-alls though.

i love that episode too, especially when ralph says lisa is crazy and how he wants to go to bovine university
#27 Old 09-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstantKarma View Post

Yeah, but she horked down some Jello.

Hmm, I forgot about that. I guess a bad example then.
#28 Old 09-20-2008, 01:29 PM

The character Angela from "The Office" is vegetarian.

She's not a hippie. She's really uptight and conservative. And I love her! She's so funny.

But I think she fits the stereotype that all vegetarians are skinny or petite looking.

Also, the actress who plays Angela is a real vegetarian and she incorporated a lot of herself into her character.
#29 Old 09-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by felishi View Post

The character Angela from "The Office" is vegetarian.

She's not a hippie. She's really uptight and conservative. And I love her! She's so funny.

But I think she fits the stereotype that all vegetarians are skinny or petite looking.

Also, the actress who plays Angela is a real vegetarian and she incorporated a lot of herself into her character.

There's that one scene though where she's at the Indian party and she asks if the food is vegetarian, but upon being told that it is, says "I'll just have the bread." That bugged me a lot.
#30 Old 09-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Julia Roberts in Notting Hill was a vegetarian... That's all I can think of.
Tiger Lilly likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page