Soy bean vis. Adukie bean. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Beginner

I was at Nature's foods today a local heath food store and i came across canned soy and adukie beans (spelling)?? there brown small beans. any way the soy had 13mg of protein and the other beans had 10mg. would i get more protein if i ate the soy? soy beans were 1.65 but the other beans were 1.95?

i trying to get at protein wise soy or adukie??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_GreenTea View Post

I was at Nature's foods today a local heath food store and i came across canned soy and adukie beans (spelling)?? there brown small beans. any way the soy had 13mg of protein and the other beans had 10mg. would i get more protein if i ate the soy? soy beans were 1.65 but the other beans were 1.95?

i trying to get at protein wise soy or adukie??

Variety is a good thing, both for taste and health. Get both.

--Fromper

#3 Old 09-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

adzuki beans have a VERY different flavor than other beans. They're pretty sweet. They are used to make candies and other sweet treats in Japan. They can be used in soups and such, but I recommend trying them first. I can't stand them most of the time.

Nec Aspera Terrent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Beginner

i have never heard of adukie beans. but try it anyways, you might like it more than soy beans
#5 Old 09-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

#6 Old 09-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I've only had adzuki beans sprouted...they are really good sprouted.
#7 Old 09-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't care for adzuki beans myself, except as red bean paste.
#8 Old 09-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

i love adzuki, i like to make a soup with them and some sugar.. as mentioned though they're almost always eaten sweet. In a sweet potato soup or something they'd be good...

Yes, soy has more protein per serving but they're both protein rich. I'd buy a variety of beans including black beans, kidney beans, red beans, chickpeas, navy beans, canelli beans, lima beans, lentils, etc. Keeping variety in your diet is a good thing--eating the same thing day in and day out will only ever get boring.

PS, you mean grams, not mg.
#9 Old 09-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Adzuki beans are great for making bean sprouts like mung beans. As someone said, they also have a different taste. Hey, experiment, get types that you have never had. I love the dahls (small chick-peas) and other Indian beans.
#10 Old 09-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Canned soy beans are the first ever beans I took a bite of went "blarrghh" and had to throw them out. I like edamame, I like soy things, I figured what could be bad? they were truly nasty. I've never tried Adzuki beans as I've only seen them dry and I'm a bit on the lazy side for dry beans.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#11 Old 09-07-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflytat20 View Post

i have never heard of adukie beans. but try it anyways, you might like it more than soy beans

me either but may give them a try.
#12 Old 09-08-2008, 10:27 AM

I love adzuki beans-- they make a good meat substitute in pasta sauce and on top of pizza.

Being small they have more surface area per unit of volume --so they have relatively more chewy skin and less pasty insides (I do like the pastiness of many beans but I find it is not such a good quality for beans used in pasta sauce.) And they cook up faster than larger beans.

When we were in Hawaii on our honeymoon, we came to a shop that sold shave ice with sweetened adzuki beans on top. It was weirdly different, but tasted good.
#13 Old 09-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I love aduki beans. I like to cook them up in some brown rice with some garlic. And it's fun because it turns the rice purple!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page