Why do most people assume vegetarians/vegans are pacifist? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-20-2008, 12:29 PM

I run across this a lot...mostly it's....oh you are a peace loving tree hugger, and while I do love and want peace, and I really like trees.....I am not a pacifist, just as they will resort to hitting,kicking etc... to defend their morbid idea's of animal consumption, destroying the forest's, clubbing baby seals etc...I have no problem hitting back, and have done so at some protest/demonstrations. I never start a physical confrontation, but have seen fellow activist let themselves get spit on, punched, kicked etc...I cannot do that, if I break the jaw of a seal killer....that's one less murderer on the ice killing innocent harp seals the way I see it, and I have been arrested for my defending of the animals before, and probably will again at some point, am I the only one who thinks/acts this way?
shutterbug likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Veggie Regular

What bothers me is that people think that being a peace loving tree hugger is a bad thing. How, exactly, did it become socially unacceptable to want to breathe clean air, drink pure water and not kill people?

I would like to be a person with the strength of character to not fight back, to be someone who can teach by example and turn the other cheek. I am not always successful, but I always try.
#3 Old 08-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflectivemind View Post

if I break the jaw of a seal killer....that's one less murderer on the ice killing innocent harp seals the way I see it

Or one more person who will see you as a hypocrite (not saying you are a hypocrite) and never give a second thought to your cause.

I don't claim to be a pacifist, but certainly wouldn't be offended to be mistaken for one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

<<< Vegetarian pacifist.

*whistles innocently*
mrssuryan likes this.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#5 Old 08-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep, I admit I'm a pacifist...but I'm ok with that
#6 Old 08-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

<--- Proud Pacifist!! Peace & Love!!
#7 Old 08-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

* adds Skylark, Masja and Nickle00 to "safe to invite for dinner" list and MRSSHF on the "probably safe" list*
#8 Old 08-20-2008, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

#9 Old 08-20-2008, 01:14 PM
Beginner

<--------- Pacifist Extraordinaire! Peace and Love forever! Ahimsa!
#10 Old 08-20-2008, 01:25 PM

I have no problem being a peaceful, loving person, I try to be just that as a matter of fact, but I will not let someone kick,spit on or hit me, just as I would jump in if I saw a person being mugged or raped and use any means to defuse the attack. I am a peaceful,caring,loving compassionate person and I would love for the world to be safe and confrontation free.....but it's not, in this day and age, you must practice peace, but be prepared for confrontation.
shutterbug likes this.
#11 Old 08-20-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSSHF View Post

What bothers me is that people think that being a peace loving tree hugger is a bad thing. How, exactly, did it become socially unacceptable to want to breathe clean air, drink pure water and not kill people?

I would like to be a person with the strength of character to not fight back, to be someone who can teach by example and turn the other cheek. I am not always successful, but I always try.

I agree....and it's not a bad thing to be a pacifist, tree hugger, I have turned the other cheek many times, but becoming someones punching bag is where I draw the line. I just happen to be a tree hugging, peace loving vegetarian who carries a gun and defends himself
#12 Old 08-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not a pacifist. I'm all for peace and everything but bad guys deserve to be smacked around.
#13 Old 08-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I wish I was, but I'm not. I'm too busy being angry.
#14 Old 08-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Hrmm... to be vegetarian you can either be in favour of killing things or not in favour of killing things... you just choose not to kill certain things for food. To be an omnivore must be in favour of killing things, like it or not, no two ways about it. So I guess, on average, you are more likelike to be peaceful if you are vegetarian?

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#15 Old 08-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Cows and chickens and fish have never done anything to deserve to be killed. Some people are just evil.
#16 Old 08-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

<--- Proud Pacifist!! Peace & Love!!

Sure, but it if you saw an adult going after a child with an ice hammer, would you try to physically intervene, if you could?

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#17 Old 08-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Bof
Banned

I'm a flexifist.
#18 Old 08-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Sure, but it if you saw an adult going after a child with an ice hammer, would you try to physically intervene, if you could?

I don't know of any form of pacifism that includes standing by while a child is harmed in front of you.
mecoveg likes this.
#19 Old 08-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

<--- peace hugging tree lover

Quote:

How, exactly, did it become socially unacceptable to want to breathe clean air, drink pure water and not kill people?

It is socially acceptable in some parts of the world (still or again).
#20 Old 08-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post

I don't know of any form of pacifism that includes standing by while a child is harmed in front of you.

Well, it sounded like that's what he was talking about (in terms of being non-pacifist), when standing out on the ice with someone clubbing a seal (except replace seal with child).

What do people mean when they say they're pacifist?

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#21 Old 08-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Is pacificism the same as non-violent confrontation? I don't think of Gandhi as a pacifist. Or MLK.

The teachings on Ahimsa that I've seen all say that one can defend another being that is defenseless by using harm. But one must have practiced deep insight first to know what actions are appropriate in what circumstances.

I was at a circus protest once and some guy driving by was signalling for me to come there. I said "no, you come here". He got mad a drove off. I think he wanted to spit on me or something, lol. Anyway, I don't know what I'd do if someone kicked me or spit on me.
#22 Old 08-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

From wiki:

Quote:
Pacifists follow principles of nonviolence, believing that non-violent action is morally superior and/or pragmatically most effective. Some pacifists, however, support physical violence for emergency defense of self or others. Others support destruction of property in such emergencies or for conducting symbolic acts of resistance like pouring red paint to represent blood on the outside of military recruiting offices or entering air force bases and hammering on military aircraft. However, part of the pacifist belief system is taking responsibility for one's actions by submitting to arrest and using a trial to publicize opposition to war and other forms of violence.

Oh, I guess pacificism includes non-violent confrontation.
#23 Old 08-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I try to treat animals with the same respect I treat humans.

I don't eat or use anything that came from a human (though I'm not against human hair wigs, but we wont go into that..) and try to avoid inflicting any harm on another. Same goes for animals.

Because of this, someone assuming because I wont harm animals I wont harm humans makes sense to me?
#24 Old 08-20-2008, 08:08 PM
lss

I'm a proud, tree-huggin' pacifist. I don't get why some people think that's a bad thing.
#25 Old 08-20-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lss View Post

I'm a proud, tree-huggin' pacifist. I don't get why some people think that's a bad thing.

I'm not saying that being a tree hugging pacifist is a bad thing, it's a good thing, but you can't let people beat up on you, or you can't stand and just watch while a thug beats an old lady, that's when I go from pacifist to pissed off, and it's game on from there, as I said, I never start violence, but i will not let it come down on me without giving a dose of their own medicine, some people, that's all they understand
#26 Old 08-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

I'm a flexifist.

Watch that, you'll go blind
#27 Old 08-20-2008, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegans can't fight. They're barely strong enough to lift their pale arms. (according to the jerks that I could easily roll in a fight).
shutterbug likes this.
#28 Old 08-21-2008, 01:45 AM
now

everyone realises that killing animals and eating them is basically murder,taking advantage of weaker creatures..everyone realises this,there is no excuse

they choose to not think of this,they choose to be blind,voluntary blindness

how do you deal with such people

they have no excuse

they're probably victims of habit,they're used to eating meat,they can't give it up,they are victims but they victimize other creatures

so it's a difficult question,how do you deal with such people

maybe you have to tell them,look,if you're going to continue,then i'm gone....( a very touchy issue,here)

maybe sometimes in extreme cases,you have use force

the question is can you be a mute witness to murder

can you?

probably the best solution is to explain to people that what they're doing is wrong,to keep reminding them....on and on

right now,i don't have the answer
#29 Old 08-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I agree. So does
#30 Old 08-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I don't believe "turning the other cheek" is something we should aim for. There is no honour in being a doormat.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page