VeggieBoards banner

Canus Goat's Milk Soap

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  janiejones 
#1 ·
I have really come to enjoy going on rabbit hunts.

You know, you go to the drug store cosmetics aisle, and look for that little rabbit on the package that shows you it's not tested on animals? I go hunting for him. Anyway, I was looking at a bar of Canus goat's milk soap today to find out whether it was tested on animals or not. Goat's milk is supposed to be really good for your skin, and that doesn't seem overly strange to me.

What I DID find weird was that on the ingredients list, I found the ingredient tallowate. I'm standing there thinking, "tallowate, like...tallow...like...BEEF FAT?" and I had this vision of someone rubbing themself down in the shower with a really fatty steak. And my mouth dropped open and I thought, "good god, if I used this I would NEVER get clean!"

Does anyone else find it weird that there is beef fat in soap??

#3 ·
Animal fat is often used in soap, trust me I use to live by a soap factory.

1. It stunk to high heaven and

2. You would always see trucks arriving from the slaughter houses filled with "scraps" for rendering.

I haven't used anything other than all natural vegetable glycerin based soaps for over 25 years, but would still have to sit through summers smelling and seeing the grossness.

Most soaps are pretty dirty.....

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post

Why do they put animal fat in soaps anyway? What is the purpose? It just sounds so gross.
Haven't you ever seen Fight Club???

It is to help the chemical reaction in lathering as well as it is apparently good for your skin (just like placenta is for your hair). Pretty gross if me. Go Au-naturale and don't bathe

#6 ·
Most, or at least, an awful lot of, soap is made of tallow (usually beef fat, could be other animal fat). It's very common. Check the labels.. "sodium tallowate" indicates soap made from animal fat. Thankfully it's becoming much more common to use vegetable fats instead. I'm betting good money you've rubbed yourself with a combination of caustic soda and beef fat many times before without realising it.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtyr View Post

Haven't you ever seen Fight Club???
Exactly what I was going to say
that fat-stealing scene really brought it home.

I find the idea of rubbing animal fat over myself, unappealing. I tend to use Urban Rituelle soaps, or a local soap suppliers vegetable oil based soaps [the nice scented type] and the best thing is, the palm oil supplier is a member of the RSPO. Woohoo! [Or if I'm feeling like being a cheapskate, I'll go to Go-Lo and buy Nelum. Not tested on animals or apparently any derivatives, and also RSPO friendly. $1! Hey big spender...] Just some ideas.

#9 ·
Not all together weird, no, but still pretty disgusting in my humble opinion. Animal fat soap will get you clean, but ew! Baths and showers are a pleasure for me as well as being about cleanliness and I'm not sure I could derive much enjoyment about rubbing scented beef fat all over myself.

#10 ·
I'm not saying it's "weird" as in out of the ordinary. I'm just saying it's weird that once-upon-a-time someone decided, "hey, we'll be cleaner if we rub ourselves all over with this animal fat."

I'd honestly be more comortable showering in soap made of human fat. Like in Fight Club.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora9kry View Post

I'd honestly be more comortable showering in soap made of human fat. Like in Fight Club.
Now, THAT is *weird* seeing as you are more likely to be exposed to a communicable disease that way.

Honestly though, people used to use every part of the animal, raise it, slaughter it themselves and so using every little bit made sense. They probably discovered that fats helped remove dirt during the rendering process. It's quite normal if you look at it that way, really.

#13 ·
To make it into an emulsifier. Fat with caustic soda become an emulsifier (something that will help combine oil and water so you can wash off oil, grease and sebum as well as dirt and sweat). Water alone, or things that dissolve only in water, will not lift grease the way an emulsifier will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakora9kry View Post

I'm not saying it's "weird" as in out of the ordinary. I'm just saying it's weird that once-upon-a-time someone decided, "hey, we'll be cleaner if we rub ourselves all over with this animal fat."
No weirder than the guy that was crawling around under a goat before thinking "hey, I just might suck on that!" and then, not just sucking on it, mixing the proceeds with their soap to rub all over themselves.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by raine555 View Post

I would have the same reaction.

Maybe you would like to try my moms soap?

www.bohemianbubbles.com

It is not tested on animals. Goats milk, from our own goats..

and vegetarian!

Im proud. Teehee. You can email her to take orders.

Anyway,

my grandmother used to make soap with animal fats.

It's just what was used then.. But now there are other alternatives.
Yes, there are alternatives. Although, using goat milk is still using "animal fats".

I wish your mom's site had a complete ingredient list.

It's a nice site.

#17 ·
Soap is made from fat reacted with sodium hydroxide. Solid fats, such as shortening, tallow, coconut oil, palm oil, etc. make bars of soap harder and lather better. While I'd rather not use soap with tallow in it myself, I think it's good that some soap is made with tallow -- it uses up some waste from raising animals for food.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.