Options for making my own trail mix? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-12-2008, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I am trying to think of some more stuff to add to my trail mix. I have allergies to tree nuts and flax. I can eat peanuts but am not allowed to take them to my workplace. I also have a corn allergy so many kinds of crackers and cereals are off-limits. And I try to eat healthy stuff not junk

My current usual afternoon snack is about 3/4 cup dry cereal (Shreddies, Oat Squares etc. I have 2 or 3 kinds which I vary) mixed with a spoonful of raisins and a spoonful of soy nuts for protein. I am getting a little tired of the soy nuts though I would love some other options for add-ins to a HEALTHY trail mix, especially protein options, that fit in with the above restrictions (no tree nuts, no peanuts except on weekends, no flax, no corn).

So far, I have though of:

- Sunflower seeds. Are these healthy? Will they provide any protein or good nutrition?

- Pumpkin seeds. Same question, don't know much about them and whether you can buy them ready-made.

Other than that, I have no ideas. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I love pumpkin seeds. they are good for you, but I do not know if you can but them in the grocery store, but I would imagine so.
#3 Old 08-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds are both healthy and are usually found in the nuts/candy/snacks section of the grocery store, or in bulk bins.

What about granola clusters? I like throwing handfuls of granola into my snack mixes (usually cheerios, raisins, nuts, and a handful of granola). If you're concerned about nuts/corn in commercially prepared granola, you could make your own granola with things like oats, wheat flakes, rye flakes, barley flakes, coconut, puffed rice, some maple syrup/agave/honey, healthy oil of some sort, and anything else you'd like to throw in there.

Actually -- here's an easy recipe as a guideline that I've used for granola making: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ht=pan+granola

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-12-2008, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I got things to make trail mix with because I"m going on a 8-hour trip tomorrow

raw cashews

sesame chips (these are 11g fat, but I love them..)

I got a package already mixed:

goji berries

sunflower kernels

(nuts)

peanuts

pumpkin seeds

then I got a sugary one: Natural Berry Mix

dried pineapple

raisins

(nuts)

dried cranberries

dried blueberries

and dried cherries

You can get pumpkin seeds at a lot of places. I like them when they're green. My parents bake the seeds when they scoop them out of pumpkins but I don't really like them that way...
#5 Old 08-12-2008, 09:15 AM
Beginner

Sunflower seeds are great for you! I would use the kind with a bit of salt to do a little of the sweet and salty thing with the raisins. For me salted sunflower seeds do that salty peanut thing. Might satisfy that hunger for them even though you cant have them, they give me amazing energy. I would say maybe baking your own oat granola would be worth it. As to avoid your allergies.
#6 Old 08-12-2008, 09:18 AM

Maybe some wasabi peas if you things spicy? I'm not sure if there's anything in them you can't have since I don't have any around to look at, but I like them when I'm bored with just the usual dried fruit and seeds.
#7 Old 08-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm allergic to all nuts, I made a mix out of this:

unsweetened flaked coconut

dried cranberries

dried pineapple bits

soynuts

raisins

sunflower seeds would have been good too, I didn't get into them till recently. The tropical fruit mix with a lot of soynuts worked well for me though, I digged it. I get you're tired of soynuts, but you might still like them mixed with somethign else. sunflower seeds are great though, I use sunflower seed butter instead of peanut butter all the time.
#8 Old 08-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Hemp hearts are delicious and high protein. They are very small and soft so might get 'lost' in trail mix, but you could look for hemp-based granola style cereal (Nature's Path makes some) for added heartiness. Good luck!
#9 Old 08-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Dried edamame, too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page