My BF is a HUGE carnivore... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-11-2008, 08:19 AM
Beginner

And it really just grosses me out sometimes. Like we are talking a whole meal for him consists of MEAT. Have you ever turned anyone veggie successfully? If so, how? Im curious if its possible to turn such a meat eater into a vegetarian. Do i just log onto the peta website and start running videos and reading him articles about the evil practices that animals go through so he can have his meals? Or maybe the health aspect of how horrible meat is for you? Whats your take?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

It depends on the person. Has he ever asked you about it?

Some people are interested in healthy living and will respond to information about health benefits. Some people are animal lovers and will respond to AR arguments. Some people are very independent and just need a good example and will figure it out for themselves.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#3 Old 08-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Beginner

Well we have been together for 5 years and i have been veggie since Feb of this year. So its still sort of new. I have always heard not to pressure others into your way of life (being vegetarian) because many people will not accept it. I have discussed it with him briefly before but he prettymuch has said 'i love my meat' Im thinking though that the way to appeal to him is to work the love of animals as an angle. He does love animals (cats and dogs) I would be ecstatic if he went veggie too but i would love to see some progress like him eating a smaller portion of meat and some freaking side dishes like rice or vegetables once in a while. geez. its just ridiculous!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-11-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCveggie View Post

And it really just grosses me out sometimes. Like we are talking a whole meal for him consists of MEAT. Have you ever turned anyone veggie successfully? If so, how? Im curious if its possible to turn such a meat eater into a vegetarian. Do i just log onto the peta website and start running videos and reading him articles about the evil practices that animals go through so he can have his meals? Or maybe the health aspect of how horrible meat is for you? Whats your take?

My stepdaughter has been vegetarian for 9 months now..she's 15. She decided to become vegetarian by watching me. I lead by example and didn't preach at all. If she had any questions growing up she would ask me and I gave her my honest opinion. That's how she was converted. Eventually she wants to be vegan like me..I won't push it just like I didn't on the vegetarian end. She does eat my food I cook when she's over and loves it. She's learning that nutrition can be tasty and cruelty free. I think a solid positive example is the best approach.

ETA: My husband is still an omivore. When I first went vegetarian eons ago he wouldn't touch anything I made. Now he eats several things and basically is meat free a couple days a week. Eventually if he changes and elimates animal products that would be great. I think he would resist if I purposely set out to change him...most people do.
#5 Old 08-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Your guy might change his opinions over time, particularly as he has a good example and easy access to information. My husband did, and he was also a big carnivore who barely looked at a vegetable from one month to the next.

But don't count on it. You can not change people. People may change and you can encourage that, but you're just buying yourself misery if you expect/require someone else to make such a big lifestyle adjustment to suit you. If his being a big carnivore is a deal breaker for you, this deal is already broken.

I think you can make it clear that you don't see an ethical distinction between a dog and a cow without showing shocker videos or reaching for the propaganda pamphlets.

(Please note, 'propaganda' is not an insult. It describes material meant to alter opinion by combining fact and emotional appeal.)
#6 Old 08-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SotallyTober View Post

My stepdaughter has been vegetarian for 9 months now..she's 15. She decided to become vegetarian by watching me. I lead by example and didn't preach at all. If she had any questions growing up she would ask me and I gave her my honest opinion. That's how she was converted. Eventually she wants to be vegan like me..I won't push it just like I didn't on the vegetarian end. She does eat my food I cook when she's over and loves it. She's learning that nutrition can be tasty and cruelty free. I think a solid positive example is the best approach.

ETA: My husband is still an omivore. When I first went vegetarian eons ago he wouldn't touch anything I made. Now he eats several things and basically is meat free a couple days a week. Eventually if he changes and elimates animal products that would be great. I think he would resist if I purposely set out to change him...most people do.

I try to lead by example with my parents. I still live at home and cook nearly every night for them. Its funny because they dont really mind eating a vegetarian or sometimes even VEGAN meals ( i dont even think they realize they are eating vegetarian!). I think its because they dont mind eating things like grains and vegetables. My BF on the other hand does not like any of those things.
#7 Old 08-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Veggie Regular

You can't change him. If you can't handle his meat eating, you shouldn't stay with him. He might change his mind someday. But don't count on it. Hoping for something that probably won't ever happen isn't healthy for your relationship. Trying to convince him to stop eating meat will probably just make him resent you and make him even more determined to never go vegetarian.
#8 Old 08-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

My boyfriend eats meat, too. I never pressured him into anything, but I usually convince him to at least take a bite of the stuff I make. Over the months we've been dating, he's since stopped eating red meat because of health, mostly.

Give it a little time and see what happens... but pushing veg*nism on him will most likely have adverse effects. I've had my fair share of arguments with my beau about it...
#9 Old 08-11-2008, 10:23 AM

id go with the health angle at first. ask him if he knows about the risk of bowel cancer and eating a lot of meat.
#10 Old 08-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Beginner

I tried to work the health angle before with him and he did the whole 'well im going to die eventually anyway' which is totally laughable considering he talks about how his dad says that when he talks to him about stopping smoking. I just sort of chuckled and said to him 'isnt that what your dad says when you talk to him about quitting smoking?' My main concern is that hes not really getting a balanced diet because he basically ONLY eats meat. I would really love for him to just eat a BALANCED diet for his health. I understand vegetarianism will probably not work for him. I would just love to see him with 3 different things on his plate instead of just a plate of meat.. omg how it makes me cringe. His good qualities outnumber his bad. I do really love him and would love to see him eat better but i DO understand that i cannot change people. As i have learned in the past its just like digging a hole in sand!
#11 Old 08-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi JC and welcome to VB. I am going through a very similar thing with my Husband. I would LOVE for him to be vegetarian, but I know if I push it he will resent me. He is the type that would do it just for me, but I know he would end up hating me. It is not worth it. It is hard not to push sometimes, because it is such a passionate subject.

We watched earthlings yesterday. I didn't make him watch it with me, he just likes to learn, and I told him I did not want to watch it by myself. It was really good and I think it planted a seed with him. I know that seed will take a very long time to grow, as he likes to let things set in. I recommend lead by example and maybe try and get him to participate in some things with you. Have him help you make a veggie meal. Appeal to his ego if you have to to get him to help. Good luck!
#12 Old 08-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Beginner

Thanks for all your advice everyone! I think im going to take the slow course and try and do little things here and there like encouraging him to eat the vegetables and grains he DOES like. Thats a small list but maybe some creative cooking will lead him to a more balanced diet and in the future a lot less of a carnivore diet!
#13 Old 08-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't try to force him into or anything, or pressure him. Its fine to talk about stuff in the news, but I personally think its a bit much to ask people not to eat things in front of you. People tell me food I eat looks gross, but Imma still eat it in front of them. :P

My bf eats lots of meat - unhealthy at that, mostly fast food or restaurant style food every single day.

When I get my apt in a week I will be making lots of vegan food and he said he'll eat it which is a start. And if we ever lived together I know he would be mostly a vegan, because I would be the one cooking, and I wouldn't cook meat. Only time where that would differ is if we went out to eat. I would never ask him to change the way he eats though. I want him to eat healthier so he doesn't have health problems, but its his life.

Pinterest: AquaLoveBird
#14 Old 08-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Have you tried cooking up a vegan meat that included a faux meat product? If that's what he craves, it could be a start. The first time my boyfriend tried tofu, it was in a veggie version of pad thai that usually comes with shrimp - and hes never gone back, and is even interested in trying other tofu dishes from the same restaurant!

My boyfriend thought he didn't like tofu, beans, or peppers before I came along - but with creative cooking (I'm hiding peppers in burgers and chili ) he got to like some things he thought he never would.

Best of luck to you both
#15 Old 08-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Im a twin we dont look alike by the way and she eats alot of meat too. Especially if shes around her boyfriend so I can understand how you feel. Ive showed her some of the videos and im suprised she can still eat meat after watching those because she did watch the full version. Anyhow she is still aware of the cruelty and agrees with me that its wrong to eat meat, however she still eats it. I often think she denys it and continues to eat the food on her plate, trying to forget about the cruelty part. Ive tryed to make her become a vegeterian and at one stage she was for about a week or so but then she fell off the roof again and I dont know if shes going to consider it or not because she keeps saying she dosent want anemia like me and all this stuff. I learnt rather then push people to become vegeterian its better to lead and inspire perhaps the fake meat idea for your boyfriend does sound good? especially if he has big cravings for meat
#16 Old 08-13-2008, 07:56 AM
Beginner

He does like the fake meats (chick'n) he mostly eats real chicken but will eat the fake. The problem is that since he doesnt eat anything else with it, he will end up eating like 2 boxes of morningstar buffalo chick'n or something. That stuff is pricey and he wont buy it. I have been making alot of mostly vegetarian (trying to work meat out of meals) for my parents and they dont mind at all, but he has the freezer stocked with hot pockets and bags of frozen chicken. i dont mind if he eats it around me but i guess i should be glad hes not eating fast food burgers daily. *sighs* oh well
#17 Old 08-13-2008, 05:21 PM

Hey There

My Fiancee is a Huge meat eater...but he looks for veggie recipes and cooks veggie and...(he is the cook in the relationship) eats veggie 2-4 times a week...he eats a ton of veggies which he really didnt before...and he eats fake meat and likes it....I would never try to change him I dont wanna Love him just the way he is...but I am really happy that he is at least willing to try new things...and I am sure yours will too....good luck
#18 Old 08-14-2008, 07:03 PM

When my boyfriend and I first started dating, he wanted to try to become vegetarian. He did pretty well for a few months until he got really sick.

I don't think it's right to try to convert someone so you can love them. I've been a vegetarian for years and my boyfriend's gone back to eating meat. I've come to terms with this and it's easier for me since he wont eat meat in front of me or talk about it. He's also willing to try new foods.

When we go out to eat, we usually share something veggie. It's a great way to softly encourage healthier and compassionate eating.
#19 Old 08-14-2008, 11:27 PM

i dont want to say its hopeless but it will be pretty hard. me and my older sister are both vegetarian (her 6 years me 6 months) and she has been trying so hard with my dad and brother but they both love meat so much that i dont think they will ever stop. but they try not to eat it around me. talk to your boyfriend about how eating meat makes you feel and ask if he could do it a little less around you. that is my only advice. good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page