Chicken Noodle Soup - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-10-2008, 02:07 PM

Hello! This is my first post on VeggieBoards. I've been a vegetarian for close to 3 months now, so I'm still new to a lot of it. These past few days I've been very sick though, and today it only got worse. I haven't eaten anything, either. I'm really trying to be serious about this vegetarian thing, but my mom recommends that I eat chicken noodle soup. Are there possibly any vegetarian substitutes for this? I would really rather not resort to it. Thanks for any feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

vegetable noodle soup

homemade, and it's amazing.

Celery, carrots, peas... maybe some potato?
#3 Old 08-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

There's no real reason it has to be chicken soup. You could have any type of soup. Or make a mock chicken noodle soup. There are tons of recipes out there. I actually find bread with peanut butter sits best on my sick tummy.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-10-2008, 02:14 PM

Oh all right, thanks for the suggestions!
#5 Old 08-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, it is not actually the chicken noodle soup that makes you feel better, it is the warm feeling of comfort. Any warm and yummy soup can give you this. It just needs to be something that soothes and comforts you. Hope you feel better!
#6 Old 08-10-2008, 02:24 PM

Thanks alot! ^^
#7 Old 08-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post

There's no real reason it has to be chicken soup. You could have any type of soup. Or make a mock chicken noodle soup. There are tons of recipes out there. I actually find bread with peanut butter sits best on my sick tummy.

I make soup very similar to that. Sautee onion, garlic, celery, carrots, add some water & vegetarian 'chicken' bouillon cubes, some seasoning, let it all simmer for a bit then I add some broken up udon noodles and chopped veggie chicken strips.
#8 Old 08-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Amy's brand makes a "no chicken noodle soup." Artificial chicken flavor and noodles. I haven't tried it but it looks good!
#9 Old 08-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegchica13 View Post

Amy's brand makes a "no chicken noodle soup." Artificial chicken flavor and noodles. I haven't tried it but it looks good!

It is one of my favorites!

Although, most of their soups are my favorite soups!

Southwestern Vegetable, Spicy Chili, and Thai Coconut are also yummy!
#10 Old 08-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

This recipe is good, it's a broth soup. Just substitute vegetable broth.

Amy's No chicken noodle isn't bad. If you don't have energy to make soup, you can buy a variety of pre-made ones at the store, there are quite a few without animal broth or meat. Tomato soup is good with crackers, Campbell's Vegetarian soup, and some minestrones (read labels).
#11 Old 08-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I make unchicken noodle or unchicken and rice soup with unchicken/veggie broth, bits of chicken style seitan, and noodles or rice. I usually start it with a bit of carrot and celery sauteed with garlic in olive oil. It's simple and comforting.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#12 Old 08-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.recipezaar.com/286085 <--- Swanson recipe, just omit the chicken and use vegetable broth!
#13 Old 08-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I had this soup the other night and it was wonderful. If you dont blend it too much it has a nice broth. Bean and Bacon soup:http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=15539.0
#14 Old 08-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I make this one whenever I'm feeling sick:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=64245

Veggie & Dumpling Soup

Category: Soups

Suitable for a: vegan diet

Ingredients:

------------------------------------------------------

Soup base:

1 leek, cut into rounds (white part only, or 1" of greens if they look good)

1 onion, chopped

4 small carrots, chopped

2 ribs celery, halved, then chopped (to make them smaller)

1/4 t thyme (dry, or bunch fresh)

1/4 t parsley (dry, or bunch fresh)

1 bay leaf

veggie oil (couple Tbs, enough to saute' in)

Dumplings:

2c flour

1 t salt

1.5 t celery salt

4T melted margerine or oil

1/2 cup water (in place of 2 beaten eggs, if you want the vegetarian version)

6 T (or 1/4c + 2 T) "milk"

Instructions:

Heat oil, add onion,leek, bay leaf, thyme, and parsley and cook on a low setting for 10-12m until soft and transluscent. bring up the heat to med or med-hi and add the rest of the veggies. Stir occasionally until carrots are done or mostly done.

Add 8 cups water (2 quarts), dash salt. Cover and bring to a boil.

While water is working up to a boil, put the dumplings together:

Knead on lightly floured surface for 1 min. Let dough rest 5 min. Roll out to 1/8" thickness and cut into 2 x 1" strips (or whatever size you find easy to work with, though they'll take longer to cook if they are bigger).

Drop into boiling broth, cover and simmer 20-35 min. (the non-egg version needed to cook longer than my original version, but I'm also high altitude. Taste for done-ness~ They'll seem mealy if they're not done yet. When done they are sort of like thick noodles or a biscuit or something. Yummy and hearty) If in doubt, let them sit another 5 minutes and taste again.

Additional comments:

This is a WONDERFUL, hearty meal for a sick person, especially. The veggie version of chicken noodle soup. Great winter soup meal.

You could always do the stock in the crock pot, then transfer to the stove and make the dumplings when you are about ready to eat. But, know that the veggies will get super soft this way.
#15 Old 08-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^ Very good recipe! I've made it a few times. I suggest replacing some of the water with broth though.
#16 Old 08-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

While I love to make my own soups, I keep a can of Unchicken and another of mild veggie in the cabinet. I find when I don't feel well cooking is not on my radar.
#17 Old 08-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I've actually always preferred miso soup to chicken noodle when I'm ill (even before becoming vegetarian.)
#18 Old 08-12-2008, 02:22 AM
Beginner

I actually use veggie broth for mine. I add all the normal "chicken soup" veggies (onion, carrot, celery, and sometimes some greens like spinach, ect), noodles (usually vegan elbow noodles. I just like those ) seasoning, and some faux chicken. Tastes just like my mom's real chicken noodle soup, except she used long noodles, like angel air or something similar broken up. Mmmmmmm. So comforting when I'm sick. Makes me feel like those icky sick days when I was a kid and my mom made me her chicken soup. Feels like a "hug" when you eat it.
#19 Old 08-12-2008, 07:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KomatsuQueen75 View Post

I actually use veggie broth for mine. I add all the normal "chicken soup" veggies (onion, carrot, celery, and sometimes some greens like spinach, ect), noodles (usually vegan elbow noodles. I just like those ) seasoning, and some faux chicken. Tastes just like my mom's real chicken noodle soup, except she used long noodles, like angel air or something similar broken up. Mmmmmmm. So comforting when I'm sick. Makes me feel like those icky sick days when I was a kid and my mom made me her chicken soup. Feels like a "hug" when you eat it.

Can you get vegan noodles in the regular grocery store?
#20 Old 08-14-2008, 02:28 AM
Beginner

Yep. Most pasta noodles are vegan. The ones that are not, usually say "egg noodles" on the front. That's a dead give-a-away. I found that most store brands are vegan. But it doesn't hurt to read the label to be sure. Oh and watch out for wheat noodles. Some have eggs in them. Some don't.
#21 Old 08-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

^^^ Very good recipe! I've made it a few times. I suggest replacing some of the water with broth though.

I agree, always better with broth over water, soups are. However, this one makes a really nice thin broth that's perfect for the sickie throat, and it's one less step to worry about (seeing as I make my own stocks,lol) for the sick cook.

SO I agree, if you have time, stock on hand, or are up to making it, this will taste more flavorful with stock in place of water. If not, it's ok with water, too!
#22 Old 08-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a salt whore, the more the better

I wish I had time to make my own stock... I've never done it, but I do keep 3 different types on hand. To "make stock," I just drop some powdered broth or Better than Boullion in, it's SO easy and cheap!
#23 Old 08-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

It only takes 30 minutes to make a good stock! Really! Veggies only release so much flavor, and once it is in the water, there is no more to take from the veggies. You only need to let meat stocks cook for hours, to get the flavor from the bones, or something. Veggie stocks are a totally different breed.

Basically....

1 onion, chopped

1 leek, cut into rounds

2 carrots, chopped

1 celery stalk, chopped

3-4 cloves garlic, smashed

oil

thyme

parsley

bay leaf

trimmings from soup, if preparing one already

8c water

Heat oil on med-high, add veggies and herbs, saute until colors are bright and veggies are getting tender, about 12 minutes. Add water, bring to a boil, simmer up to 30 minutes.

Drain broth/stock into another bowl, or add directly to saute'd veggies in a soup pot, and make into soup immediately.

If saving for later, freezing in 1-2c increments is great. You can use for making beans or rice, etc. It thaws better in smaller amounts too.
#24 Old 08-15-2008, 04:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Here is the vegetable soup recipe I posted. https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=36546

You can leave out the matzoh balls. It's a good way to use up the veggies in your fridge.

*this space not for sale*
#25 Old 08-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekajoi View Post

It only takes 30 minutes to make a good stock! Really! Veggies only release so much flavor, and once it is in the water, there is no more to take from the veggies. You only need to let meat stocks cook for hours, to get the flavor from the bones, or something. Veggie stocks are a totally different breed.

Basically....

1 onion, chopped

1 leek, cut into rounds

2 carrots, chopped

1 celery stalk, chopped

3-4 cloves garlic, smashed

oil

thyme

parsley

bay leaf

trimmings from soup, if preparing one already

8c water

Heat oil on med-high, add veggies and herbs, saute until colors are bright and veggies are getting tender, about 12 minutes. Add water, bring to a boil, simmer up to 30 minutes.

Drain broth/stock into another bowl, or add directly to saute'd veggies in a soup pot, and make into soup immediately.

If saving for later, freezing in 1-2c increments is great. You can use for making beans or rice, etc. It thaws better in smaller amounts too.

Sounds yummy! I may have to try that sometime, the ingredients sound affordable The only thing I don't keep on hand is the leak. Do you just toss the veggies after use?

Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page