Xylitol - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Is xylitol safe?

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Banned

yep. provided you aren't a dog (not implying that you are, btw- its just very bad for dogs). and eating a tonne of it will send you rapidly to the bathroom. but beyond that, yes. its actually medically used to prevent tooth decay and sinus infections, too (which aint bad). i like it.
#3 Old 08-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it is. I like erythritol too.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Veggie Regular

It doesn't give me a headache like aspartame does

That said, I don't use it on a very regular basis. It's in the gum I chew from time to time (that is aspartame free), and that's about it.

Everything in moderation.
#5 Old 08-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Veggie Regular

What is a good xylitol chewing gum? I don't like artificial sweeteners like aspartame or sucralose and xylitol seems like a good replacement.

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
#6 Old 08-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Beginner

Xylitol is a naturally occuring plant sugar that was originally extracted from beech trees in Finland, where almost all of the chewing gum is made with it. It can also be extracted from corn, fruits, vegetables, oats, mushrooms. It's no more harmful than other natural sugars, but should be used in moderation as with all sweeteners.
#7 Old 08-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't trust anything that gives me severe stomach cramps in even moderate doses.
#8 Old 08-05-2008, 09:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Girl View Post

I don't trust anything that gives me severe stomach cramps in even moderate doses.

a bowl of rhubarb would do the same thing- doesn't make it an evil thing.
#9 Old 08-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Not evil, but using xylitol in amounts larger than what is generally used in gum or small hard candies a painful digestive reaction is quite common. We have tons of customer returns at work based on the pain/diarrhea/gas reaction to this sweetner (even just using one small packet of it can cause it.) I don't see how something that could cause such a violent reaction in a fairly large percentage of people could possibly be good for you. I have never had or heard of a reaction to xylitol sweetened gum. But the packaged or spoonable xylitol I would advise people to be wary of.

As far as rhubarb goes, it can be quite toxic if you eat too much or eat the wrong part of the plant, so I pretty much steer clear of it, too, except very rarely and in very small portions. There are too many other delicious fruits for using in puddings and pies to worry much with rhubarb (even though it does taste good.)
#10 Old 08-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

As far as rhubarb goes, it can be quite toxic if you eat too much or eat the wrong part of the plant, so I pretty much steer clear of it, too, except very rarely and in very small portions. There are too many other delicious fruits for using in puddings and pies to worry much with rhubarb (even though it does taste good.)

I guess this means I will have to eat extra rhubarb for you. So yummy. So good in jam and pies.....*craves rhubarb strawberry upside-down cake*
#11 Old 08-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

You can have my share. It dredges up bad memories. My mom used to grow rhubarb, cut up the stalks and make pie or cobbler or something wonderful, then warn us about how poison it was while we were trying to enjoy it.

So, yeah, rhubarb is something I need to take to the shrink's office.

Xylitol, on the other hand, really made me sick as a dog. I avoid that stuff with good reason.
#12 Old 08-05-2008, 10:36 PM

for me its okay too...and aspartame too....but sometimes splenda gives me migraines espically in diet coke...i love diet coke just not with splenda.
#13 Old 08-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Beginner

I have switched to Stevia as a sweetner. Now, if I could just find a Stevia sweetned gum I would be in heaven!
#14 Old 08-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Banned

i think we're all gonna need to take a little trip to japan, via finland, and stock up.
#15 Old 08-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Beginner

Just about all chewing gum here in Finland is sweetened with xylitol. My husband likes to get toothpaste with it too.
#16 Old 08-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Banned

pavut, is it JUST sweetened with xylitol (no aspartame and other yucky sweeteners?) are they vegetable gum based? i reckon you could probably sell vegan gum on ebay. i can't find any xylitol gum thats vegan in canada (i found one whcih nearly was, but with beeswax, once, and it was incredibly rubbish).
#17 Old 08-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Beginner

Yeah, the most popular brand here is mostly vegan, there are a few varieties. I am not sure if they all are only sweetened with xylitol, but they all do have it. There is a list of vegan gums on the Finnish vegan union website. I'll have to look into it.

There are also many vegan breath mints with xylitol.
#18 Old 08-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I chew 2-3 pieces a day without difficulty.
#19 Old 08-06-2008, 09:28 PM

My partner (who is an insulin dependent diabetic) was told by his endocrinologist to use Xylitol or Stevia, so now he uses it everywhere.
#20 Old 08-06-2008, 10:12 PM

I chew xylitol gum regularly and I like to sweeten things with xylitol sometimes. I could easily consume up to 2 teaspoons of xylitol a day with no ill effects. But I never went over that.

If you're looking for xylitol gum, you could get B fresh on Amazon or on Pangea.
#21 Old 08-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You can have my share. It dredges up bad memories. My mom used to grow rhubarb, cut up the stalks and make pie or cobbler or something wonderful, then warn us about how poison it was while we were trying to enjoy it.

So, yeah, rhubarb is something I need to take to the shrink's office.

LMAO. Yeah, my mom would make rhubarb everything and tell us how good it was for us , so I guess I have an opposite issue. I love to eat stalks of it raw that I break off in the garden while I walk around the yard,heh.
#22 Old 10-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Beginner

i am thinking using toothpaste containing it for prevention of tooth decay.

Is it effective ??

Any suggestion

ramsss.com
#23 Old 10-25-2008, 12:37 AM

I find that this stuff is pretty tasteless, or is that just me? lol
#24 Old 10-25-2008, 05:27 AM
Beginner

>> tasteless ??

is it a sugar substitute ?

ramsss.com
#25 Old 10-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrindavan1 View Post

i am thinking using toothpaste containing it for prevention of tooth decay.

Is it effective ??

Any suggestion

studies say it does 'starve' bacteria, and dentists approve its use in chewing gum, so i'd say yes. google seems to agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrindavan1 View Post

>> tasteless ??

is it a sugar substitute ?

it is. its supposed to be sweet- but its not as sweet as sugar to me either- and tastes a bit cold, which is slightly odd.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page