Hi again. I think I might go veggie again! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Beginner

Hi all. I was around here about 1 1/2 years ago. I went veggie then (not vegan) for about 6 months. I don't think I did it right because I always felt so sluggish and I was ALWAYS . I have never been a big meat eater and I think I want to give it up again. I find that when I eat meat (even in smaller qtys) that I am always constipated - not a problem I had when I was veggie that's for sure!

Over the last six months I have been taking vitamins every day - multi, calcium, b complex, biotin (I know its in the b complex but I am growing out my hair and the extra helps), and vitamin c. Last week when I got my eyes examined my RX actually got better and the doctor thinks it was the vitamins

So, now that you know a little more about me, any suggestions on what I can do this time to make being veggie easier?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome back! I hope you are able to go veg again!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 07-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Beginner

Thanks ahimsa. It might be better this time because my daughter wants to go veggie too. Last time I was the only one so I still had to fix meat for three other people. I think I will just cook veggie and if the boys want to grill up some meat to go with it then go for it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

welcome back
#5 Old 07-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Beginner

Thanks jenna.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to not feel so sluggish and hungry this time? Last time I was not taking the b complex so I am hoping that will help on ther sluggishness.
#6 Old 07-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I love your signature, both the quote and bunny

Anyway, make sure you're getting all your vitamins (maybe a vegan multi-vitamin as well as a good diet) and trying to incorporate more fibrous, fill-you-up foods so you're not as hungry.

Not sure if that will be helpful, but best of luck and welcome!
#7 Old 07-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Welcome! I'm not really sure what to recommend other than to be sure you're eating a well rounded diet and eating enough. If you have specific questions it'd probably be best to start a new thread in the vegetarian section. You're sure to get more responses.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 07-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Good luck going veggie again
#9 Old 07-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome back! Hope you stick around this time.

This might sound stupidly obvious, but if you're hungry, eat more! Some people go veggie by just eliminating the meat from their plate and eating what's left, but that means there's less food on the plate. So eat more, and eat whole grains that will stay with you longer.

I'd also highly recommend the book "Becoming Vegetarian" by Melina and Davis.

--Fromper

#10 Old 07-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

You might want to look at What you're eating too. Vegetarian diets can be (but don't have to be) pretty low on calories for the volume of food. If your meat diet had more fat and calories, add good types of fat and calories to your veg diet. My favorite tactic here is nuts, because I really like them and they're nutritious as well as calorie dense. Avocadoes are another good addition if you care for them (feel free to have my share). Upping corn, peas, potatoes, and brown rice at the expense of things like cucumber, celery, and lettuce also helps in that regard.
#11 Old 07-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the responses guys About the eating more if I am hungry, it seemed like I was always eating last time I went veggie. I guess I wasn't eating the correct things though. I wasn't a junk food veggie either - mostly tried to fill up on rice, beans, veggies, etc. I think this time I will incorporate more things like flax seeds, higher protein foods, etc. I think I will start out lacto-ovo at first and go from there.
#12 Old 07-29-2008, 08:27 PM

welcome back and good luck
#13 Old 07-29-2008, 11:39 PM

good luck!

glad you're back
#14 Old 07-30-2008, 07:22 PM

I have a really high metabolism and find that on days when I eat things without protein, like a lot of fruit or raw veggies I get very tired. I love tofu, and that helps a lot. And as mentioned previously, beans or a handful of nuts to get some healthy fats really help also. I find that having small meals throughout the day helps, as opposed to fewer larger meals. That can make you feel sluggish also.
#15 Old 07-31-2008, 10:49 AM

welcome back.
#16 Old 08-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

The biggest reason for failure in going veg is that people begin to feel bad and blame it on the diet. The fact is, that vegetarians can eat poor diets, just like anyone else. Just not eating meat is only half the idea, the other half is to eat an abundance of:

GOOD oil- vital, do not skip (olive, safflower, flax, but don't cook with flax)

whole grains (brn rice, quinoa, whole wheat/rye/oat, various whole grains & whole grain pastas & cereals)

all the colors availbable in vegetables and fruits

protein - beans, nuts, tofu, seitan, and convenience foods, if you like them, I do

instead of dairy, choose from the many soy/almond, hemp, etc milks on the market. You can also find a variety of cheese products in vegetarian (only contain casein, nothing else) to even rice cheese products.

If you leave out one of these important food groups, you will begin to feel lack luster and lacking, because you are.
#17 Old 08-02-2008, 12:47 PM

Not getting enough iron makes me feel sluggish!

Welcome back, I remember you!
#18 Old 08-03-2008, 07:56 AM
Beginner

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I think this time I am also going to cut out the milk products. That will be hard because I love cheese I don't want to give up eggs just yet (but I only buy veggie fed free range) because they contain all of the essential amino acids and give me a protein punch. It has been alomost a whole week with out meat and already my colon is emptying out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page