programmers: vegan??? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-02-2003, 10:57 AM
Veggie Regular

The majority of male vegans i come across are programmers.

Just wondering what the link was?

Are you taught about cruelty to animals in your programming classes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-02-2003, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

well i'm a female and i'm a programmer as well.

lets represent both sides
#3 Old 11-02-2003, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac View Post

well i'm a female and i'm a programmer as well.

lets represent both sides

do you many vegan programmers?

what do you think the link is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-02-2003, 12:53 PM

LOL, I've also done some computer programming (Visual Basic mainly) in jobs I had prior to my current one. The work I do now is still computer/IT related, but programming isn't a major part of what I do at the moment.

As for a possible link between computer programming and veganism; I know that as a programmer you are still able to find a job which doesn't require too much interaction with co-workers (though in the vast majority of the cases programmers nowadays are as much a teamplayer as anyone else in an organisation, and their employer will likewise also expect a certain level of skill in that department). Following that train of thought people who may have a difficult time identifying themselves with other (not-so-likeminded) people or at least find it hard to communicate and cooperate with others on regular basis, would be very suitable for such a position... I don't suppose it's very unlikely that a lot of vegans fall into this category. That doesn't mean the majority of vegans lack social skills of course... Jobwise it might just not be ideal for them to continuously be around colleagues that are often so much unlike themselves. I am not saying this would apply to all (or even most) vegan programmers, but it may to some. Just a thought...
#5 Old 11-02-2003, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not a programmer, but I work in IT as a Field Services Technician. I originally became a strict vegetarian (almost Vegan) for health reasons and to support my now deceased father, who was Vegan for awhile due to cancer. But I sometimes have a lot of time to surf the Internet between calls, and I did some additional reasearch on Veganism. After seeing the truth, I didn't look back, and am now a Veg*n for ethical reasons.

So maybe computer people just spend more time on the 'net than most people.
#6 Old 11-02-2003, 09:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm more or less a programmer (something like 60-80% of my time is programming, or programming related) and vegan.

Lets run over the programmers checklist:

1) Caffine. Plant derived, so that's ok.

2) Coffee. Check

3) Pizza. Easy enough to get them to skip the cheese.

4) Guranine. Again, plant derived. [0]

Are more programmers vegan? Out of all the comp-scientists I know (a lot!) (and I'm excluding this board) I can't place anyone as being vegetarian.

Now, I think that there is a a little self selection going one. The internet, although generally avilable, has a higher than real life proportion of geeky types, programmer, sys-admins etc. Therefore, veg*ns in these professions are more likely to be noticed, particularly if internet surveying is used. For example, I'm on some other boards, and computer people are highly represented on those boards too.

Stuey!

[0] Ok, this was ment to be funny. I don't think it worked.
#7 Old 11-02-2003, 09:01 PM

Well, I am a programmer and I am transitioning to vegetarianism.

I've found most programmers to be independent thinkers. They have to reason problems out in their heads and have strong critical thinking skills. Also, they spend a lot of time alone (either in their cubicle or in their own head) and tend to be...well, quirky.

That said, I have yet to meet a vegan programmer. I wouldn't be surprised to meet one though because of the above criteria for programmers. Most of the programmers I've met, though, are Coca-Cola swilling hamburger heads.

Syntax: What other boards do you frequent?
#8 Old 11-02-2003, 10:43 PM
Banned

I am male, a programmer, and vegan (not necessarily in that order).
#9 Old 11-03-2003, 12:02 AM

im male and i have nothing to do with programming. i just know how to build and operate one.
#10 Old 11-03-2003, 12:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not a programmer, but my field involves a lot of programming.
#11 Old 11-03-2003, 01:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Hmm, interesting thread.

I'm not a programmer either but I am involved with computers and the lifestyle that accompanies them (specifically, open source.)

I know a great many programmers and, of the females I know, a lot of them are vegetarians/vegans. The male programmers I know tend to be meat-eaters.

One thing I have noticed is that a love for animals (specifically cats) is pretty prevalent among computer geeks so this could possibly translate into a love for animals in general and thus the desire not to torture them.

I think it is also safe to say that intelligent people research their diets more than the average person. It's not hard to see that vegeterianism/veganism is a smarter choice, programmer or not.
#12 Old 11-03-2003, 04:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think it is a coincidence.

I think programmers have learn't to think out of the usual frame to get results.

Sometimes you have to do non-logical things to get the results you want. You cannot always accept what is told to you, cause if you go along the given line you won't get results.

I am a (former) car-mechanic and I've learn't not to accept what customers tell me. I have to question what I'm told by them to make my own and just diagnose.
#13 Old 11-03-2003, 06:57 AM
Veggie Regular

My best guy friend is a web programmer, and unfortunately he insists he´ll never ever go vegetarian. All of the programmers and tekkies I know are omnivores, though one of them did try to go vegan awhile ago just to try it. He gave up when he got discouraged by the amount of foods that contain dairy and eggs.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#14 Old 11-03-2003, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a female programmer and have worked with hundreds of male programmers, haven't met one who is even thinking of vegetarianism. This is in Minneapolis.

We drank lots of geek juice (Mountain Dew) or Diet Cokes though, they're usually free for these types of programming environments who need lots of caffeine.
#15 Old 11-03-2003, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a programmer and am vegetarian, striving for strict veg or vegan. There's another veg*n here, but for health reasons. He doesn't worry about broth, lard, etc. It's made our monthly birthday lunches, um, interesting. I made them go back to the store for lard-free refried beans once.
#16 Old 11-03-2003, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I was talking with a programmer I knew (who tried pescetarianism for a while) who told me that the type of person who is generally drawn to programming also may be drawn to unique diets, for many reasons. Probably the most common type of "different" diet is vegetarianism, and after that veganism.

I'm not out in the job world quite yet, so I haven't met all that many programmers, though those I have met seem not to be veg*ns. Preportionally, I have heard that there incidents of veg*nism is higher in that profession.
#17 Old 11-03-2003, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Could it be because you have met all of those vegans online? What other sort of sad sack would spend the entire day in chat rooms and message boards. If you're looking on computers, of course you're gonna find programmers.
#18 Old 11-03-2003, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

hey i met a vegan programmer this weekend. both he and is wife are both vegan and both programmers. that's interesting. they are very nice ppl too. i havent met any mean programmers.

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
#19 Old 11-03-2003, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I am male, vegan, and NOT a programmer. I took one term of intro programming (JAVA based) and decided that it wasn't what I wanted from life. I do have some experience, however, editing visual basic programs to make cognitive-psych experiments.

ebola

np: burnt by the sun
#20 Old 11-03-2003, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganinohio View Post

Could it be because you have met all of those vegans online? What other sort of sad sack would spend the entire day in chat rooms and message boards. If you're looking on computers, of course you're gonna find programmers.

No i've seen plently online of course, but the few male vegans i'm met in rl tend to be programmers too

maybe i just hang out with computer people

being the nerd that i am
#21 Old 11-04-2003, 02:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I was a computer sci / programming major. Never thought about it, but you may have a point. Nearly everyone in the campus vegetarian society was part of the computer science program.

:?
#22 Old 11-04-2003, 04:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a programmer too and I know several other vegan IT people as well.

I wouldn't have thought there's a connection, but there may be...
#23 Old 11-04-2003, 06:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe the fact that I'm a programmer but also a state employee has something to do with the fact that I'm the only actual veg*n.
#24 Old 11-04-2003, 07:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe since old-schoolers are more attached to their meat, and computers and the internet are decidedly new-school, therein lies the connection?

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#25 Old 11-05-2003, 03:07 AM
Veggie Regular

A survey among the members of the dutch vegan society showed that the majority of members have a high level of education.

The majority of members is also female...
#26 Old 11-05-2003, 03:13 AM
Veggie Regular

There's no relation from the people I knew. Most of the programmers hunted, along with loved meat.

Of course 95% of the meals that the programmers ate while working at the computers were vegetarian... probably since it was cleaner and didn't mess up the keyboard.
#27 Old 01-09-2015, 12:38 PM

Smile

I'm a programmer and a vegetarian here. I don't know any others like me personally here in Texas.

My reasons for becoming vegetarian have more to do with my own spirituality and also the desire to not consume animal flesh as I'm a nature lover, but they do seem to have benefits on my mental clarity as well.

In my own self observation I tend to have some paradoxical extreme contrasts in that I'm a programmer and a bodybuilder, technologist and nature lover, I listen to techno and classic country music, I'm both a programmer (more so in summer months) and graphics designer (more so in winter months during times of seasonal fatigue due to weather and inability to be outdoors more during extreme cold), etc. I'm also a very spiritual person and very much a people person despite also being an introverted logical programmer at times when I want to delve into creative work.

I used to be a "hamburger eating Dr. Pepper machine" but gave that up some time ago, and wanted to be vegetarian for a long time. I may eventually become vegan as well once I've suitably replaced my protein intake from eggs and whey protein shakes.
#28 Old 01-09-2015, 12:51 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshine View Post
Jobwise it might just not be ideal for them to continuously be around colleagues that are often so much unlike themselves
Yes I agree!
#29 Old 04-22-2015, 09:06 PM

Wow, this thread is twelve years old! Thank you for reviving this thread, Jernest!

Wisconsinite here, but my goal is to move to California. Programming student, one more year to go.

Quote:
I've found most programmers to be independent thinkers. They have to reason problems out in their heads and have strong critical thinking skills. Also, they spend a lot of time alone (either in their cubicle or in their own head) and tend to be...well, quirky.
Makes perfect sense to me.
#30 Old 05-08-2017, 07:37 PM
vegan ceo

Send a message via Skype™ to calebbrandalise
what a dilemma (not)

oh my gosh! can you show me where you find these guys?! haha haven't found one (male or female) in san diego!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page