Brewers Yeast for B-12, how do you use your brewers Yeast, i need ideas. Thanks!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-03-2003, 07:39 AM

Also besides a B-12 vit. suppliment and Brewers Yeast, what other *non-prossessed* foods provide a 'large' amount of B-12 for vegans. I try to avoid gluten and processed foods, so fortified cereals are not my first choice for my B-12. And the only way i can think of to use Brewers Yeast is baking my own muffins/bread (but i'm very lazy).

Thanks for your ideas :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-03-2003, 09:49 AM

Brewers yeast is a by product of the beer industry and it is nasty. What you want is NUTRITIONAL YEAST. It is grown on molassas and contains B12 and other B Vitamins. You need to look for a vegetarian support formula. Red Star and Kal are the two brands that I know of. It is also very tasty and can be used in lots of ways. Neither of these yeast can be used in bread baking for that you need Bakers yeast. There are no vegan unprocessed foods that contain B12. If you want a food source, soy milk that has B12 added is a good one But that is processed of course.
#3 Old 03-03-2003, 11:45 AM

Thank you, this i did not know :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-06-2003, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I buy a brewers yeast by Lewis Labs and it tastes very pleasant. It is a source of lots of vitamins and minerals (including all the essential amino acids) Personally I feel it is imperative in a vegetarian diet. I sprinkle some on cereal in the morning, put some in a milkshake or you can even bake with it. Nutritional yeast is also good but falls short in the vitamin content compared to brewers yeast.
#5 Old 03-06-2003, 11:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I use Red Star brand nutritional yeast. I use it when I make "cheese", I use it sprinkled on popcorn and I use it added to butter (Earth Balance) then poured on broccoli.
#6 Old 03-16-2003, 07:14 AM

you can make french toast with it.... (the nutritional yeast provides the egg-like flavor.)

french toast is something i like to make for breakfast when i have houseguests. it's easy and low-fat and not *too* unhealthy, and everyone is always amazed that it tastes like 'real' french toast.

how to make french toast:

(i don't measure ingredients, all amounts are estimates)

mix 2-3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast with about a cup of rice milk (or soy milk) plus about a tsp of cinnamon, a few drops of real vanilla, and about 2 tbsp of whole wheat flour. mix well, pour in a wide shallow bowl and then dip whole wheat bread in it (both sides) and cook (both sides) on an oiled griddle until done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page