So, what are your reasons? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 07-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Penguin View Post

My decision to go vegan was a pretty simple affair, really. The meat/dairy/etc industries cause suffering in a variety of ways. I don't need to support them to survive, so i don't.

I don't concern myself with hypothetical burning buildings or with wondering if some life is valuable than others; rather, I just trust that compassion, pragmatism, and common sense willl guide me to the right decisions.

Couldn't have said it better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 07-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Because I don't want to support it.
#33 Old 07-11-2008, 04:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Im vegan because animals are my friends and you dont eat your friends. I dont support abuse, enviroment destruction, and selfish profits, instead I feel good in a spiritual and human way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 07-11-2008, 11:26 PM

I am veggie because of the animals...I love animals and didnt want to eat them..they are my friends...didnt want to eat my friends...it hurts me to think of the animal abuse and torture the poor animals suffer from and i wanted to help stop that.
#35 Old 07-12-2008, 12:55 AM
Veggie Regular

A vegan friend of mine asked me to watch Earthlings. After seeing it I decided I had to become more accountable for the food I was eating and have been strict vegetarian ever since. Best decision I ever made!
#36 Old 07-12-2008, 01:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by _sharon View Post

In terms of religion, I don't want to come off as those that canvas door to door about their religion. Because lots of people are annoyed with those people. I don't want people to feel uncomfortable around me, because everytime I hung out with my best friend, she would ask, "Is it okay if I eat this burger in front of you, is it okay if I eat this chicken in front of you?" It was as though I would be sickened by her choices, when really, I am not one to judge.

That last sentence always gets to me. "I'm not one to judge". Yet if someone is abusing or neglecting a dog or cat we are happy to judge. In fact if we didn't "judge" and tell the authorities then we'd be complicit in the crime.

Now, abusing or neglecting a dog is against the law so it's easy to take action. With people abusing "farm animals" (by slitting their throats) we have to take a different approach. But I'm just as opposed to someone eating a burger as I am to someone beating a dog. In the vast majority of cases (with both the dog and the cow) the suffering/death imposed on the animal is needless.

My general take on the issue: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...0&postcount=12
#37 Old 07-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Is it bad to be a vegetarian secretively? It was just so difficult to have my friends and family question me every day why I decided not to eat the meat.

What do you mean secretively? Do you tell them you are vegetarian if they ask you?

I know you talked about the idea of pushing it on people being like pushing religion on people. I couldn't agree more. I don't want people shoving religious tracts in my face, so I certainly wouldn't shove tracts (or "brochures") in the faces of omnis. I don't even want to see those videos and read that information people try to push on other people. My mom recorded a PETA special on HBO and asked me if I watched it yet and I said NO, I don't need to see that stuff. It would be like preaching to the choir. I don't need any further convincing that eating meat is wrong and all that.

I think that you first have to be honest with yourself. You have to practice what you believe in private first and foremost. I think it's quite honorable to be a vegetarian "secretively" because in the end your character is determined not what you do when others are watching but what do you do when they aren't.

I don't know what your situation is exactly, but why not volunteer to make some dishes of your own to share with people? Most people have the idea that vegan/vegetarian food must equal GROSS, but show them it can be good. It might not taste exactly the same as the foods laden with dairy and meat products, but show them it can taste excellent all on its own merit.

For example, I got sick of all the food days at work where there was tons of stuff brought I could not eat and if veggies were brought, they were just raw veggies with ranch dip. Overall just disgusting to me (not that I have a problem with raw vegetables, but there are some I just can't eat raw...maybe in small doses, but not without a good dip, and ranch doesn't cut it.) So even their veggie choices were laden with dairy and such. So I made a vegan cheesecake (made with tofutti cream cheese!) and it was a hit. Some people refused to try it...well, only one person that I know of...because she heard it had tofu in it. I said it was cream cheese made from tofu. I don't know what she had against tofu, but it was cool to watch others (omins) tell her she missed out.

To show your family that great meals can be made that everybody can enjoy that you can eat as well, offer to make it. Maybe one night a week to start.

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
#38 Old 07-13-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Anyhow, why did you choose to become veg*an? Can you explain your moral standpoint?

I am in the process of becoming vegan or a strict vegetarian so I hope that it is alright answering this.

All my life I was brought up in the environment where all food centers around meat and dairy/eggs. For breakfast you had eggs and bacon or eggs and sausage. For dinner you had meat and then a veggie. It was not a meal unless it involved meat.

Eventually i began to realize that I hated meat and that eggs made me sick (after I thought that they were baby chicks, although I know exactly what they are now that was then). I gave up meat because of how animals are slaughtered and treated. I love animals and I could not physically kill one of my pets (or animal) and eat it so why should I eat meat? I mean if you are going to eat meat you should go hunt it down and then eat the whole animal, not buy it from a store. You should see the animal alive and breathing and then decided that if its life is worth you having a meal that you don't need.

I am not saying that it makes it better to eat meat if you hunt it, just think that if you were going to eat it you need to see the animal and realize that is alive and not just a slab of meat wrapped in plastic.

Anyway morally I cannot eat any dairy, meat, honey, or eggs. The taste, texture, smell, and knowledge of how it came to be makes me sick. I try not to wear any animal clothing or buy any products made from animals/tested on animals if I can help it (working on a limited budget). I see no reason why we value our lives more then any other living creature.

My husband on the other hand is a vegetarian. He loved meat and only gave it up because it made him sick. He will not give up dairy (after know everything it entails) because he likes it and would gladly go back to eating meat if he could. He does not care about the animals, he only does it for his health. It is sad but true. However I am just happy he gave up meat because in the end it still helps.
#39 Old 08-09-2008, 11:04 PM

i believe in karma

and in my next life i do not want to be slaughtered and eaten
#40 Old 08-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm vegetarian for health reasons. But also have some environmental and religious considerations.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#41 Old 08-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamika View Post

i believe in karma

and in my next life i do not want to be slaughtered and eaten

Wow...I've never thought of that! I'm vegetarian because I believe that the life of an animal is no less valuable than my life.
#42 Old 08-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm vegan because for me, being any other way would be an incredibly selfish, short-sighted, indulgent and cruel thing to do to myself, the environment and the animals.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#43 Old 08-11-2008, 12:40 AM
now

for animals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page