Vegetarian cure for acne?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-17-2008, 09:04 AM

Hi all,

I've been trying to go more and more vegetarian lately (I'm currently pescatarian), but my acne is getting really bad. I know I already have high stress levels and that this is causing it primarily, but I also am worried because I think I am missing some trace minerals in my diet- specifically chromium and zinc, which supposedly help with acne (http://healing.about.com/cs/skincare/a/uc_acneguide.htm). Does anyone know of some good sources of these two? Guides I found on the internet didn't help much (who eats enough raw onions to get enough chromium??).

On a related note, does anyone know what foods are best to relieve stress?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

My skin isn't horrible, but it wasn't amazing either. I started using Fresh Farmacy soap from LUSH (it's vegan) and the difference is amazing!
#3 Old 06-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Have you been consuming a lot more dairy since going veggie? Like have you been eating cheesy dishes a lot? A friend of mine had very bad acne when he was veggie but when he gave up the cheese it went right down.

Otherwise I'd reccomend lush too. Their products are great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-17-2008, 11:27 AM

I will check out the lush products, I've heard good things about them before.

I haven't been eating any more dairy- in fact, I eat less if anything. I do not eat much sugar or processed foods. I really think I'm just missing something. Some articles I was reading said that chromium, which helps regulate stress, is used up in higher quantities when the body is under alot of stress, so it's a vicious cycle.
#5 Old 06-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Zinc is found in the following:

Green leafy vegetables

Pumpkin seeds

Sesame seeds

Lentils

Tofu

Almonds

Wholegrains.

Trace elements including chromium are found in the above zinc related foods, and also beans, bananas, potatoes, seaweed.
#6 Old 06-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I've read that apple cider vinegar does amazing things for acne, but I've never tried it myself.
#7 Old 06-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathytheveggie View Post

Hi all,

I've been trying to go more and more vegetarian lately (I'm currently pescatarian), but my acne is getting really bad. I know I already have high stress levels and that this is causing it primarily, but I also am worried because I think I am missing some trace minerals in my diet- specifically chromium and zinc, which supposedly help with acne (http://healing.about.com/cs/skincare/a/uc_acneguide.htm). Does anyone know of some good sources of these two? Guides I found on the internet didn't help much (who eats enough raw onions to get enough chromium??).

On a related note, does anyone know what foods are best to relieve stress?

Give up adiary.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#8 Old 06-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

i've been in the hospital recently and i htought i was going to havea terrible with break outs and stuff from not bathing very much. i find that the least amount of chemicals you put on you, the better. when i used to wash my hair and body frequently the oils would over produce causing yucky break outs. it wasn't too bad this time around.

i don't really rely on chemical-type brands too much. baking soda is a good scrubber/exfoliator, apple cider vinegar (ACV) is a good toner.

drinking lots of water and staying hydrated is another ultra important thing.

also remember to get out and -sweat-. dry brushing is another great great thing to do to help with your overall skin care.
#9 Old 06-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

i've been in the hospital recently and i htought i was going to havea terrible with break outs and stuff from not bathing very much. i find that the least amount of chemicals you put on you, the better. when i used to wash my hair and body frequently the oils would over produce causing yucky break outs. it wasn't too bad this time around.

i don't really rely on chemical-type brands too much. baking soda is a good scrubber/exfoliator, apple cider vinegar (ACV) is a good toner.

drinking lots of water and staying hydrated is another ultra important thing.

also remember to get out and -sweat-. dry brushing is another great great thing to do to help with your overall skin care.

Really? Sweat? I've always found that makes my skin worse. Getting some sun on my face sometimes helps, though.
#10 Old 06-18-2008, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

sweating all the gunk and stuff out of you and then showering it off. there's also some sort of alternating hot-cold-hot or whatever shower you can take that helps with your pores and releasing all the icky stuff.
#11 Old 06-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

sweating all the gunk and stuff out of you and then showering it off. there's also some sort of alternating hot-cold-hot or whatever shower you can take that helps with your pores and releasing all the icky stuff.

I agree with this. When I just sweat and then let it sit, I break out. If I sweat regularly and then wash my face right after, it looks sooo much better.
#12 Old 06-20-2008, 04:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'll have to try that and see. I do not know if it will help me, though, because my face just tends to breakout rather badly right before that time of the month, and then it's almost clear after that.
#13 Old 06-20-2008, 12:40 PM

Ok so quick update: Went to the doctor (it was that bad) and he seems to be a pill pusher so i'm now on antibiotics (gross!!) both topical and oral. I know I don't want to do antibiotics frequently or even ever again for acne (I'm generally opposed to medicine) but I kind of wanted to get rid of it for a month so my skin had a chance to heal a bit from the scars and such so that I can kind of start over with my skin. So I will be really working on my diet over the next couple months so that I can get my skin generally healthy again and lessen the impact of the acne when it returns.

Stress and hormones, stress and hormones...bah. working on those.
#14 Old 06-21-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:

I use my facewash and then rinse it off with warm water, then make sure it's all gone with really cold water. This closes my pores right up!

Sun is great because it dries out your skin without the use of harsh chemicals. If I start to break out, an afternoon outside clears me right up.
#15 Old 06-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I've tried numerous over the counter crap, prescriptions, antibiotics, topicals, etc. I found the one thing that seems to work for me is eliminating foods that trigger my acne. Dairy, caffiene, alcohol, sugar are all my enemies. I seriously can't even have a little amount of any of them without getting cystic acne. Now I don't go near any of those foods and I know this sounds weird...I wash my face with asprin. I let a couple of pills dissolve in warm water then use it as a scrub or as a facial mask. I read about it on an acne board and decided to give it a try and have had some pretty good results with it.
#16 Old 06-21-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathytheveggie View Post

Ok so quick update: Went to the doctor (it was that bad) and he seems to be a pill pusher so i'm now on antibiotics (gross!!) both topical and oral. I know I don't want to do antibiotics frequently or even ever again for acne (I'm generally opposed to medicine) but I kind of wanted to get rid of it for a month so my skin had a chance to heal a bit from the scars and such so that I can kind of start over with my skin. So I will be really working on my diet over the next couple months so that I can get my skin generally healthy again and lessen the impact of the acne when it returns.

Stress and hormones, stress and hormones...bah. working on those.

You could also try Colloidal Silver, as a topical agent. Silver has antibacterial and antiviral properties (case in point, they used to put silver nitrate in babies eyes to prevent infections at birth and some burn bandages used by hospitals now have silver fibers in them). You could try applying this by cotton balls, if you find in the future, your skin gets difficult again. Most good health food stores carry it and you don't need a prescription.
#17 Old 06-22-2008, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I've tried numerous over the counter crap, prescriptions, antibiotics, topicals, etc. I found the one thing that seems to work for me is eliminating foods that trigger my acne. Dairy, caffiene, alcohol, sugar are all my enemies. I seriously can't even have a little amount of any of them without getting cystic acne. Now I don't go near any of those foods and I know this sounds weird...I wash my face with asprin. I let a couple of pills dissolve in warm water then use it as a scrub or as a facial mask. I read about it on an acne board and decided to give it a try and have had some pretty good results with it.

I also use the aspirin mask if I'm having particularly bad skin - it works so well and my face feels great after!
#18 Old 06-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

i've heard of the aspirin wash before but have never tried it. i may recommend that to my brother as he gets big breakouts sometimes.
#19 Old 06-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I so wish their was a vegan cure for acne. I am on antibiotics, and also this stuff that kills cells or something and stops them blocking pores. I wear make-up every day which probably doesnt help, but without is my face is so blotchy and spotty.
#20 Old 06-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I've heard of people who have had colon cleanses and that helped get rid of their acne. I'm not sure if it's a cure for a majority of people, but it has helped in some.
#21 Old 06-22-2008, 01:04 PM

I used to have terrible skin until I started to relax (try doing yoga, deep breathing and/or an herbal supplement.)

Also, take a good whole foods multivitamin. This is very important.

And the ONLY face wash that has helped me has been the Pevonia Botanica line that I get from dermstore.com. It is on the expensive side but it works.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in