Dinner with a client - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-19-2008, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been doing freelance work for a while now, and soon I'll be meeting up with my client for dinner. This is the first time that we'll be seeing each other in person (after months of e-mail correspondence), and she has mentioned that dinner will be on her. The other members of the team will also be there.

My client hasn't mentioned where we'll be eating (she probably hasn't picked a place yet), and I don't know how to tell her I'm veg (thus hinting that we should eat at a place with veggie options) without coming across as bossy or picky. Or maybe I should just keep quiet about it and grab a quick bite beforehand?

"May all that have life be delivered from suffering."
~ Buddha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I would mention that you're veg, and that mostly any ethnic-type food would be great for everyone.. (and I always have a Clif bar in my pocketbook incase)!
#3 Old 05-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

next time you email, maybe you could casually add that you forgot to mention you are vegetarian. it's probably better, from now on, to mention it as soon as any talk of getting together to eat comes up. i know it can feel awkward sometimes when it comes to telling clients things you ordinarily wouldn't mention. but better she find out sooner than get pissed when you don't eat anything and she feels you don't appreciate her choice in restaurants even though you had ample time to tell her. wouldn't it be great if she turns out to be veg too? too much to hope for?

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-19-2008, 07:13 PM
Veggie Regular

You could casually ask her where dinner will be because you're vegetarian and would like to call ahead and see what will be available for you to eat. That way you're offering to do the footwork, but at the same time hinting that it would be nice if she chose a place that would have an option or two for you.
#5 Old 05-19-2008, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

You could casually ask her where dinner will be because you're vegetarian and would like to call ahead and see what will be available for you to eat. That way you're offering to do the footwork, but at the same time hinting that it would be nice if she chose a place that would have an option or two for you.

That's a great idea. It informs her in a way that doesn't make her feel burdened with finding choices.
#6 Old 05-19-2008, 10:22 PM
Veggie Regular

^ I agree. Thanks, fyvel! Thanks, everyone!

~ Buddha
#7 Old 05-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Good idea.

Thanks, everyone!

~ Buddha
#8 Old 05-20-2008, 04:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Wouldn't it be nice if one day under Dietary Requirements you had to put "Meat eater" instead of "Vegetarian"! Or better still "Murderer" on the basis that "Meat is Murder".

Is that too strong for this board?
#9 Old 05-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licence View Post

Wouldn't it be nice if one day under Dietary Requirements you had to put "Meat eater" instead of "Vegetarian"! Or better still "Murderer" on the basis that "Meat is Murder".

Is that too strong for this board?

Yes, it is too strong. People that eat meat are not "murderers."
#10 Old 05-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Great suggestion! I'm going to take this advice myself. I am forever finding myself at a steakhouse with a vendor or dealer and unable to eat anything but a plain baked potato.
#11 Old 05-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailMix View Post

That depends on your perspective
#12 Old 05-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

If I pay a man $10 to kill people, I am a murderer by proxy. The same is true for $10,000,000. The same is true if I pay a man to murder animals.
#13 Old 05-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Tell that to the cows and chickens.

--Fromper

#14 Old 05-23-2008, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, I guess if it makes you feel better about yourselves, but that type of attitude is going to do nothing but outrage, divide, and alienate people and generally negate the peaceful message that the majority of vegetarians are trying to espouse.

If you want people to listen to you, you don't start by calling them names.
#15 Old 05-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well, I guess if it makes you feel better about yourselves, but that type of attitude is going to do nothing but outrage, divide, and alienate people and generally negate the peaceful message that the majority of vegetarians are trying to espouse.

If you want people to listen to you, you don't start by calling them names.

I don't go around calling people that. I know how to be diplomatic. But that doesn't mean I disagree with it.

--Fromper

#16 Old 05-23-2008, 01:46 PM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:

Well, we don't want to give the impression either the we're all peacenik kind of hippies either, do we?

The Christian "Love your enemies" doesn't go down with everyone.

But I doubt anyone goes around calling meat-eaters murderers to their faces... especially their clients. We're on veggieboards here - not in a "normal" social environment. (Long live the day when that "normal" environment is at last recognised as sick and barbaric). And as we're on veggieboards, we have a space here where we can let our hair down and talk of our frustrations with the omnivores.

And sometimes a bit of straight talk is better than beating about the bush. Like the time someone told me I was being a ****ing hypocrite for being vegetarian. That was the coolest thing anyone has ever told me. It was that final push - because I realised it as the truth - that encouraged me to go 100% vegan.
#17 Old 05-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Beginner

most people i know that agree to go veggie atleast a bit ( my meat loving fit throwing about me not eating meat boyfriend included) decided to try because i didnt try and make them feel bad about eating meat, they decided on their own.
#18 Old 05-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Murder by proxy is a true statement but I know better than to run around telling people that. I won't lie if asked but it's not something I'd bring up on my own. Omnis need support on giving up more meat, not to be alienated by being called murderers.
#19 Old 05-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I thought there was a rule that to be a member of this board you either have to be vegetarian / vegan or be very close to going that way, so how anyone on this board can be offended by the phrase Meat is Murder is utterly beyond me.
#20 Old 05-29-2008, 03:53 AM
Banned

Well, back to the original topic:

I eat out with clients all of the time. What I do is I say 'Hey dinner sounds great but seeing as I'm one of those crazed vegans, why don't you let me pick out a restaurant? I was thinking of <medium priced omni Italian restaurant with vegan options> or <posh omini restaurant where chef will make vegan options not on menu>' This takes away the decision making process altogether and ensures you get a good meal.

I used to leave the selection process to the client but I would invariably end up at some crap restaurant with a plate of steamed veg over rice or something equally boring and awful. Pick the restaurant out yourself.
#21 Old 05-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I thought there was a rule that to be a member of this board you either have to be vegetarian / vegan or be very close to going that way, so how anyone on this board can be offended by the phrase Meat is Murder is utterly beyond me.

Not everyone is veg*n for ethical reasons. Some people avoid meat for health reasons only and don't care about the animals. I'm not one of them, but you have to understand that there are a lot of different perspectives, and not everyone on VB agrees on everything.

--Fromper

#22 Old 05-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Not everyone is veg*n for ethical reasons. Some people avoid meat for health reasons only and don't care about the animals.

I don't care if I offend the people that don't care about animals!!
#23 Old 05-29-2008, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So you'd rather alienate them too and make sure they never want to consider how the animals feel?

Juno, have you had dinner with the client yet? How did things work out?
#24 Old 05-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That sounds like it is bound to be a particularly successful approach that will be extremely helpful to any new and aspiring veg*ns.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#25 Old 05-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

That sounds like it is bound to be a particularly successful approach that will be extremely helpful to any new and aspiring veg*ns.

I agree and adore your avatar! Giraffe's are one of the coolest animals ever!
#26 Old 05-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post

I agree and adore your avatar! Giraffe's are one of the coolest animals ever!

Thanks! I love giraffes. Choosing that avatar stems from an "insult" that someone threw at me (and my husband turned into a nickname) when I told them I was going to go veg. Someone called me a "long-necked leaf-eating freak." So I immediately thought of a giraffe. LOL

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#27 Old 05-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

Thanks! I love giraffes. Choosing that avatar stems from an "insult" that someone threw at me (and my husband turned into a nickname) when I told them I was going to go veg. Someone called me a "long-necked leaf-eating freak." So I immediately thought of a giraffe. LOL

LOL! I thought of a brontosaurus when I read that! Specifically the one from The Land Before Time
#28 Old 05-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post

So you'd rather alienate them too and make sure they never want to consider how the animals feel?

The point is that if they stop by a veg*n forum they're going to hear some harsh realities about the treatment of animals. And please don't twist my words - I said offended, not alienated.
#29 Old 05-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The point is that if they stop by a veg*n forum they're going to hear some harsh realities about the treatment of animals. And please don't twist my words - I said offended, not alienated.

By offending them you ARE alienating them.
#30 Old 05-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Well, back to the original topic:

I eat out with clients all of the time. What I do is I say 'Hey dinner sounds great but seeing as I'm one of those crazed vegans, why don't you let me pick out a restaurant? I was thinking of <medium priced omni Italian restaurant with vegan options> or <posh omini restaurant where chef will make vegan options not on menu>' This takes away the decision making process altogether and ensures you get a good meal.

I used to leave the selection process to the client but I would invariably end up at some crap restaurant with a plate of steamed veg over rice or something equally boring and awful. Pick the restaurant out yourself.

I like that idea.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page