What kind of food do you MOSTLY eat? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: What kind of food do you MOSTLY eat?
My meals are prepared from scratch most of the times (not in a restaurant) 0 0%
I eat in a restaurant most of the times (non-fast food) 0 0%
I eat in a restaurant most of the times (fast food) 0 0%
I mostly eat fake meats and/or frozen food 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Beginner

I'm curious because I always say that I'm gonna start eating more natural but I always end up buying fake meats and frozen food. What about the rest of you?

* My meals are prepared from scratch most of the times

* I eat in a restaurant most of the times (non-fast food)

* I eat in a restaurant most of the times (fast food)

* I mostly eat fake meats and/or frozen food

* Other

Note that the poll is about what you MOSTLY do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I either cook at home(convenience factor depends on how busy i am that night), get take out from NONfast-foodish places, or go out to eat at nice restaurants. never will i go out to dinner at a crappy place or go to a chain fast food joint.
#3 Old 05-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually go out to a restaurant maybe once a week, but only to restaurants with relatively healthful vegan options. The rest of the time I cook my meals from scratch with unprocessed, nutritious ingredients. On rare occasions I eat a veggie burger or other processed food, but I don't eat any foods that I would consider highly processed (ie. that contain ingredients that I'm not familiar with).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

We eat 99% of our meals at home, though I do use TVP or homemade seitan a couple times a week.

I'll stop by Taco Del Mar maybe once a month or less. And we go out to a "real" restaurant sometimes for special occassions (like Mother's Day).

I still put that I "MOSTLY" eat meals made from scratch.
#5 Old 05-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

hmm, if left to my own devices I eat mostly cereal I make my own food most of the time, but it's simple stuff - eggs and toast, grilled cheese, waffles, etc. I also eat in restaurants pretty often simply because I work long shifts in one and get hungry
#6 Old 05-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

We eat almost 100% of our meals at home from scratch. We rarely go out to eat. Occasionally we'll have "veggie burger night" though my bf eats the veggie burgers and I eat a grilled portabello. We do use tofu, and homemade seitan, but I don't consider either a "fake meat." You can get a pretty good idea of how we eat by checking out my blog. I post a lot of our meals.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 05-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I love to cook so I make 90% of my own meals. I also like to cook big batches of certain things (e.g., soup, chili, enchiladas) and freeze individual portions...that way if I'm pressed for time I just grab one and thaw. My version of fast food.
#8 Old 05-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I couldn't vote, because my option wasn't on the list! I do fake meats/cheeses about half the time and from scratch the other half. I try to have lots of variety, so that it is all not the same source that everything is coming from.
#9 Old 05-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Veggie Regular

you could vote "other"
#10 Old 05-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Since I work at a restaurant, most of my meals are eaten at a restaurant.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#11 Old 05-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Mostly all prepared from scratch. My husband and I go out to eat about once a week (less than before I became vegan--which was at least twice a week then).
#12 Old 05-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I eat very rarely at a restaurant. Once every few months. I prefer to cook for myself.
#13 Old 05-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I work at a veg restaurant so I eat all the yummy food there. But I am trying to go raw for awhile. Most of what I eat is composed of fresh fruits and veggies, cereal and granola, and a little pasta. I try to make everything at home when I can.
#14 Old 05-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I make my own meals from 'scratch' although I buy most of the ingredients and such. Store bought soy milk isn't technically 'scratch'. Anyway, I like to throw in prepackaged 'meats' in many dishes for flavor and extra easy protein. I also make lots of sandwiches with tofurkey lunch slices, but rarely go to restaurants. My parents are people who like salty yucky fake Chinese food. Then they wonder why they're gaining so much weight >_____>
#15 Old 05-14-2008, 06:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I love to cook so most of my meals are prepared at home. I enjoy eating out at well and probably do so about once a week but it gets expensive. Cooking for myself means more variety and experimentation. I find it very satisfying. I do have some prepared/frozen foods at home as well for those times when I don't have time or energy to cook. Overall, I cook from scratch at least 90% of the time.
#16 Old 05-14-2008, 06:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I buy a lot of frozen and processed foods, like Amy's meals, tofu, and soup. However, I've been low on money lately and buying stuff like beans, rice, pasta, and frozen vegetables. I also eat out once or twice a week. I went to a hookah bar last night and then I like to buy smoothies and wraps at Tropical Smoothie.

I just haven't had the time lately to cook much of anything. I wish I could cook, but most of my stuff comes out tasting just 'eh' and I wouldn't serve it to anyone but myself. I find different recipes online all the time, but I only try those if I have the money to buy the ingredients.
#17 Old 05-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually prepare from scratch, lately I've been having a lot of fun cooking, but that will be over once my exams start (Will not get that much time), but I'll try to continue cooking with unprocessed ingredients.

Once in a while I eat fake meats (Just when the craving kick in) But that's not often.

And restaurants, well, I haven't been to one in a while. I'm saving money for college so I try to eat out as less as possible. (Fast food is cheap, but it's bad for you, so that's out)
#18 Old 05-15-2008, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I said 'from scratch' but they aren't really from scratch because I often use pre-prepared spice mixes and sauces although I do do stuff as 'from scratch' as possible a lot of the time. I have been eating a lot of take-away food recently which isn't good, yesterday's curry tasted mostly of salt won't be ordering from there again.
#19 Old 05-15-2008, 06:31 PM

I mostly eat raw vegetables and raw fruits.

I never eat anything that resembles fake anything. I almost never eat processed food.

I'm the wierdo at the office that eat the raw celery with raw carrots, raw spinach, raw avocado, raw banana, raw apricot etc.
#20 Old 05-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, I'm surprised by that outcome. I mean, I knew vegetarians and vegans often cook more than omnivores, but I'm still surprised so few people rely on frozen, canned, and boxed foods.
#21 Old 05-15-2008, 10:44 PM

i usually prepare ours at home but we eat an evening meal at a restaurant at least once a week.
#22 Old 05-16-2008, 05:45 AM
Beginner

I prepare meals at home 98% of the time. We eat out very rarely. We go to one veggie friendly restuarant (kinda pricey, though) or the local Italian place that makes your food to order (so if something on the menu isn't vegan, I can tell them to hold whatever it is that's not vegan, and they will. Very nice people).

I do eat fake meat, but I like to mix it up. I rarely just have a veggie burger alone. I like to put the fake meat into something that I'm cooking. Or I'll just have something completely made of veggies. Or I'll have a tofu "steak" or kabobs, ect.
#23 Old 05-16-2008, 08:11 PM

I eat mostly home made food (soups of any kind, omelettes, frittate with egg whites, a lot of salads, etc). The two fake meats I buy are Quorn naked chicken and Whitewave wheat chicken. They are both very low fat, very high protein. I eat a lot of high protein cereal like Go Lean with soy milk and protein shakes. And a lot of fruit. I go to the restaurant once a week (nice restaurants, not fast food). I LOVE pasta (I am Italian after all) but now I have it only once a week. Same with bread (I only eat low carb pita bread now, and not happy about it)
#24 Old 05-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineVigneault View Post

Wow, I'm surprised by that outcome. I mean, I knew vegetarians and vegans often cook more than omnivores, but I'm still surprised so few people rely on frozen, canned, and boxed foods.

I used to eat a lot a lot a LOT of boxed foods. Like pasta roni every single day. Every day.

Thankfully I got out of that nasty habit and now I'm really realyl close to being vegan. The only thing I'm eating that isn't vegan is bread and chocolate right now. The bread I am eating contains honey and most chocolate I find has milk fat. I'm soooo close though!
#25 Old 05-19-2008, 07:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I eat at home, or pack a lunch all but maybe once or twice a week.

I did pick "other" because living alone, I don't necessarily prepare meals from scratch. I take advantage of some prepared foods, including prepared sauces, when I'm too lazy to cook. I'd say about 75% of my meals are made from scratch though, tonight it's going to be lentil "snobby joes" from Veganomicon.
#26 Old 05-19-2008, 08:30 PM

I selected mostly from scratch as I make at least 2 (usually 3 plus snacks) of my meals everyday at home from mostly scratch. We buy all organic produce and I eat ALOT of that too. The other day I ate a whole head of broccoli (2 bunches or whatever) and half a head of cauliflower between 2 meals and a snack.

Exceptions for...

Pasta (I have a toddler and go to school fulltime so I am not making homemade pasta on the daily) it is whole grain past though.

The marinara that I use... its vegan from a local pizza place and sooo good, plus my son likes it (he will even eat peas and cauliflower if they have a bit of this sauce on them).

Occasional Luna or Kashi bar.

Cherrios or Kashi cereal (not as bad as other cereals though)

Fake sausage patty... had twice when craving a "homestyle" breakfast. (I actually crumbled it up, made a gravy w/ plain soymilk and ate over biscuits. So worth it!

I do also eat out on occasion, but it is usually a nicer restaraunt (we do Cheescake Factory carry out at least once a month) Evelyn's Pasta= Delish!

I think that I have a pretty good balance going, for me its a happy medium.
#27 Old 05-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Veggie Regular

If I had to guess, I'd say I'm somewhere around 50/50 as far as prepared vs. meals from scratch. Which is comfortable to me, I've been like that for a while and won't be changing anytime soon.
#28 Old 05-19-2008, 09:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fona View Post

I said 'from scratch' but they aren't really from scratch because I often use pre-prepared spice mixes and sauces although I do do stuff as 'from scratch' as possible a lot of the time.

Same. I eat out once or twice a week but all the rest is made at home.
#29 Old 05-20-2008, 01:42 PM

* My meals are prepared from scratch most of the times

^ Yes, although we do use some "convenience" foods like canned beans or plain frozen veggies. Ready-to-eats, meal helpers, just-add-water gigs, etc we eat maybe once a month.
#30 Old 05-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Beginner

like 99% of meals are from home in my house

I eat tofu 3 times a week ish.. tons of veggie fingers (so nice <3) veggie stir fries, pasta, tons of porridge etc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page